portable heat troller mount/holder question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbmoore

Reaction score
I bought my firstgear heated gear from the group buy last month. I has a chance to use them this weekend. I ran the connector along the rigth side underneath the tank to connect to the controller. the gear worked great, but the wiring is too short to put the controller in a pants or jacket pocket, and I don't use a tank bag when I ride to work. I am looking for ideas to mount/holder for the controller that I can access for adjustments when riding. I didn't buy the perm mount unit because I wanted to use the controller when using farm equipment in colder temps also.

I have thought about some velcro to the clutch cap and a wiring extension to the garments. Please let me know what you have done and pics would be great also.

Thank you,

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
My 12 volt cord (BMW style) plugs in down low on the left hand side, by the rear peg set. The actual controller, I have attached to my leather jacket with velcro. Industrial velcro is attached to the controller with sticky tape with the adjusmtent knob facing upward for easy visibility. The other piece of velcro is sewed to the lower, left side, of my jacket. Its easy to get to. It has never come off by accident and takes a pretty good tug to remove it....

Scott

Nothing elegant, just double sticky tape and velcro:

IMG_2083a.jpg

You need an extension if you mount the controller at the bars. The 3 foot extensions from Gerbing are $5 each if you don't wnat to splice the wires.

Alternatively, I don't sit with my crotch as tightly against the tank as a lot of folks, so ran the power under the tank to a disconnect located where the tool kit is. The controller plugs in there, and is velcroed to the plastic in front of the seat. It works great, but changing the settings probably looks like I'm doing something in public that I shouldn't.

I ran my power lead between the forks and down the left side interior of the frame, snaking it out between the tank and frame at the rubber isolator and zip-tying it to the rubber isolator.

It's a little tight but it's working fine so far.

I also bought the Heat-troller belt pouch which clips to the belt of my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will that them all into consideration.

Thanks,

Brian Moore