Possible Bridgestone Tire issues?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running Bridgestone 023's. When not running the car tire , which is a Bridgestone too. I have not witnessed anything like this. My coldest day this winter was around -30c. This is the first I've heard of a tire doing this. Ever! The tire makers response is not encouraging though. But I like the mileage I get out of these tires so, I won't be changing things anytime soon..

Rob

Yeow!

So am I supposed to put tire warmers on during storage over the winter?

The image shown is what I might expect to see after soaking in liquid nitrogen followed by a rap with a hammer. It remains to be seen if this is for real or an absolutely isolated incident. As fjrob1300 said, this is not something I have ever seen with any tire at any temperature. If it is a hoax then the original poster needs to get a swift kick somewhere. If it is real, Bridgestone has a problem.

I wouldn't suggest getting too alarmed until there has been some verification but if I was currently running Bridgestones, I think I would examine them pretty carefully; especially if they had been stored/ridden in the cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, assuming this IS real, that is about as obvious a manufacturing defect as I have ever seen on a bike tire. Cold weather my *ss. Guess that means these tires must also be shipped mighty carefully to avoid the cold. I'll look forward to hearing more on this if and when it hits the MC media.

Wow. What really gets me is how stupid companies still are in this modern age when dealing with complaints. Instead of just an apology with a 'you must have gotten a defective tire' and a free replacement they try to give some BS that this is 'normal' for tires in cold temps.

Something tells me the bad press they are going to get is going to be orders of magnitude more than the cost of sending out a replacement tire.

Idiots.

They still make that tire? Why would he be running that?

^ My bad, I re-read it and changed my post as you were replying

Bridgestone tires
Ad slogan: Bridgestone. Passion for excellence.

Now, taking it one step further (their commercial), with paraphrase: Troy Aiken seems to like it................RossKean, not so much. Giddyup Ross.

Sorry but that looks like a manufacturing defect.

Bridgestone tiresAd slogan: Bridgestone. Passion for excellence.

Now, taking it one step further (their commercial), with paraphrase: Troy Aiken seems to like it................RossKean, not so much. Giddyup Ross.

Sorry but that looks like a manufacturing defect.
I would agree that it might have been a manufacturing defect BUT it was on BOTH tires. It would be a very large coincidence for two tires on different manufacturing runs to be bad; especially since there doesn't seem to have been a large number of similar reports. Again, I would check carefully if I was running 'Stones and would be looking for some verification that this was real rather than someone's attempt to create an Internet sensation.

Edit: Just re-read the linked article and I realized he is talking both sides of the same tire, not both tires. Isolated manufacturing defect, hoax, or major problem with Bridgestone tires???

what concerns me is if it only takes 32F to get them hard enough to crack, how hard/slick are they at 40F? Seems a tire that gets that stiff would have little road bite when cold.

+ 1 on the "they shoulda just given him a couple tires" ... i see a tiny snowball atop a great mountain...and it's beginning to roll.

Considering how many Bridgestone tires are on the road and the fact that nobody else has reported this problem, as far as I know, I would suspect that the tire may have been exposed to some chemical in addition to the cold temps. If it were the temps alone you would be seeing this a lot more.

Considering how many Bridgestone tires are on the road and the fact that nobody else has reported this problem, as far as I know, I would suspect that the tire may have been exposed to some chemical in addition to the cold temps. If it were the temps alone you would be seeing this a lot more.
Yeah butt, the odd thing to me is that Bridgestone's response made it sound like this is to be expected with their tires in those conditions. Makes ya wonder.

The companys F**cked up reply is going to cost them a whole lot More $$$ than replacing his tires would have. I think we should punish them on any and all forums you visit, and show them we do cominicate with each other about this type of poor customer service. I'm heading to thier site to send them my thought next.

Here's a response from a friend of mine who used to work with rubber.compounds.

Whomever compounded that batch of rubber, or the formula page is missing the CROSSLINKING agent that goes into the compound.

The crosslinking of the molecules prevents that very issue.

Temps may ASS...... they either didn't cure it at the correct temps, or missed the crosslink agent.

Back in my 20s I was a compounder for Aero Gasket in CT. We supplied Pratt and Whitney Aircraft with their high heat orings/seals/and gaskets for their engines.

So Bridgestone should do the right thing and replace those DEFECTIVE tires.