Post carpal tunnel physical therapy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had edoscopic carpal tunnel surgery done on RH in January, and LH in April. Doc recommended simple self-administered physical therapy after healing for a few weeks to help bring grip strength back. I've still got some discomfort in my LH when using clutch on my '05. Nothing major, but it makes shifting more of a chore. Other than not using the clutch :D does anyone have good or bad experiences with PT after carpal tunnel? Yeah, I know I should have looked into this long ago, but wonder now if it's too late. I took the '05 out today for the second time since surgery in April, so I'm not putting many miles (or smiles) on the bike and would like to do more.

Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy are two different but similar areas of rehab. My wife is an OT and although I've been married for 21 years the difference between PT and OT is still a tad vague.

Basically it's like this: A PT assists you to rehab your parts, an OT teaches you how to use those "rehabed" parts effectively. If you think you have done your exercises like you were told and are still having problems, an OT would want to see you sitting on your bike and working the clutch. They may be able to make suggestions that would help you.

An example:

I play all sorts of hand drums. Once I complained to my wife that after 20 minutes or so playing congas, my left arm tensed up so bad I had to back off. She said to sit down and start playing. After about 20 seconds she said, try lowering your stool about 1/2 to 1 inch. That fixed it.

Good luck.

Bob