Post your Russel seat pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
La-z-boy boy is a time honored piece of furniture. The horizontal stiching adds venting, airflow where it is needed. The stiching design apperance is very subjective. To each his own. ;)

I would guess that the lower ones (bottom pic in your example) are simply recovered stock seats, while the upper picture is a "Russell-ized" seat.
maybe so. i know my rider seat has the extra bit (and is a build) while the passenger seat is a recover-only. at 5' 11" i didn't think i was a short as some of those who have seats without the filler. i never could get anyone at russell to answer an e-mail asking the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like whomever is telling you to get the vinyl, has vinyl..... The leather is NOT hard to care for.

Unless you consider wiping down your seat (leather conditioner) a few times a year hard to care for.. ;)

I've wondered why some (like mine) have the extra bit on the riders area (not the back rest but the extra piece between the rider and passenger area)
YMHA_FJR1300_seat.JPG

while other don't

Ymha_FJR_bike.jpg
What......... are we suddenly in denial now. Being an avid member of the "Los Robustos", I would half way expect my Russell upon its arrival to have the extra insert because at 260lbs, I (reluctantly) admit to having a FAT-ASS and in need of all the extra support as possible. Throw in my height and long inseam, that extra insert would allow for sitting back a little further. Especially since Russell basis' their reputation on custom made seats to ride All Day without a sore butt by days end. I send my stock seats off tomorrow and am looking forward to receiving my new Russell and no more ass pain ........... I hope, I hope, I hope!!

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Fastest Silver Gen 1, driver and rider both done, front with springs, rear without. Best looking rectangle style, black leather. I may send the driver back this fall for resizing, my ass is smaller than the seat.

I got the rain cover, but it's quite slippery. I slide forward an inch or two when stopping.

Oh yeah, 5'8"-ish 178#, 34" waist, 32" inseam, bald.

So the insert is for the extra support of heavy and taller riders. This is the first I've heard any commitment to that as being the answer. I have no problem with it as an answer. I just never got an answer at all.

I got this seat.

FJR_09.jpg

I thought really hard on the leather or vinyl issue. I mean, leather is nice.....

leather_dress.jpg

But I would just be putting stuff on it to make it waterproof and after that it probably wouldn't breath much anyway. So I went with the vinyl. Seems fine to me.

I will say my riding experience went from sore at 200 miles, to not hardly sore at all at 900 miles. Once you experience that, the price seems very worth while.

Also, the rear seat is great for camping and hauling bags on. The seat and wings hold the bags a little higher so you can easily open the side cases. Perfect.

So the insert is for the extra support of heavy and taller riders. This is the first I've heard any commitment to that as being the answer. I have no problem with it as an answer. I just never got an answer at all.
Bounce, I ordered my Russell with the extra firm springs (or whatever it is) that is supposed to add additional support for riders over 230 lbs. I am not sure why the extra insert, but the extra weight and/or size of the rider makes sense. I hope I did not come across as being insolent.