Potential group buy: Aftermarket saddlebag mounts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Based on better than current $230 for mount kit, would you be interested in these?

• Yes I'm interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I'm not interested

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • I might be interested, depends on price

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in discussions with Twisted Throttle and Motec to see if they will build a prototype of their quick-lock bag mount system for FJR Gen II. The link below is their Gen I system that lets you use almost any other saddlebag out there. Check out the pics on the right side of their page to see how it looks. There are lots of us out there, like me, with damaged or missing bags and replacing them with new OEM or finding desent ones on Ebay and having them painted is too much trouble. Besides aftermarket bags typically hold more and some look great. Motec has been reluctant to do this on their own so I promted them to consider it, and thought I would take a pole and see how many out there would be interested in this. They want a min order of 30 to do this and have not named a price yet. As soon as i hear from them i'll post an update. The current Gen I system price is $230 plus $20 for the kit to mount your fav bag. See their ad copy below from Twisted throttle for more info and check out the link. I'm lusting for the Givi E41 bags myself.

Twisted Trottle link below:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/277/114

Their ad copy:

High-quality, German-made Quick-Lock luggage sideracks by SW-MOTECH. This unique design allows the racks to be removed from the bike in less than 30 seconds without special tools by opening 3-4 quick-release fasteners on each side. These narrow profile, black powder-coated steel racks are compatible with luggage cases from GIVI (Monokey system), TraX ALU-BOX, Pelican, Micatech, Kappa, Shad, Hepco-Becker, Krauser, and more. Adapter kits are sold separately. Strong enough to withstand adventure-touring off-road abuse, yet completely removable for local cruising or track days.

When the racks are removed, only 3-4 small mounting tabs remain visible on either side of the bike. These mounting tabs are almost invisible, preserving the original visual appearance and size of your motorcycle. Required luggage-specific adapter kits are sold separately. In addition, optional key locks (sold separately) are available to lock the racks to the bike, with the key unlocking a pair of special quick-release fasteners which secure the racks on each side. The Quick-Lock racks are made of flat steel which presents the narrowest possible lateral profile. Bolt-on installation -- no cutting or welding of motorcycle frame or bodywork is necessary. Racks are designed to work with original equipment manufacturer components -- fender, exhaust, etc. The SW-MOTECH racks are ideal for the occasional weekend tourer who desires a "stealth" look during the week, as well as the weekday commuter who needs an unencumbered machine for spirited weekend fun. Whatever your needs, the SW-MOTECH racks allow maximum flexibility and convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are neat... The Cali guys who lane share would probably like these as it makes the ass end a bit narrower ( ) ! ( ) ;)

I haven't managed to break my OEM bags (yet), so had to vote no... but that does look like a nice setup, and if I needed to replace the stock bags at some point would definitely consider it.

Griff

I ran the SW Motechs on another bike I had with the Givi E360's. They are a well made set-up, for sure. With that said, no way I'd stray from the OEM bags. With the extended width of the bracket system plus the size of the luggage, no way your splitting lanes with that configuration. If my mirrors can get through, the rest can get through. Those would be way to wide for my liking not to mention, the OEM cases make an FJR and FJR!

Good luck with the buy, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm in if it can happen.

I really dislike the stock bags for many reasons and want something better for LD puposes! Lemme know if this bears fruit...

I 'm not interested.

If anything happened to my original bags and I couldn't afford to replace them I would just go with the set of soft bags that are sitting in my shed.