Power comander 5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some limited info on the PC5, I also bought one from fuelmoto, and they mapped it for my bike. The only mod I have made are Dale Walker slip ons. Which I like a lot, but back to the PC5. My impression so far after 500 miles, is that it idles smoother, and it revs faster. My fuel milege is still around 42, over all I am glad I purchased the PC, and I feel more comfortable that the bike is not running as lean as stock.

I put a PCV on my '08 AE with the Autotune add on and I love it. For the price of a custom map the Autotune feature will let you make your own and if you change something later you don't have to pay sombody to redo it.

+1 on the PCV and Auto Tune. The EPA mandated AFR for new bikes is 14.7:1 which is to lean. With an AFR in the mid 13's:1 the bike will run cooler and produce a little more power.

I thought about adding the PCIII but I do not have enough room under my seat. :angry:

LOL yes I was asking if the power commander came with the software. At 300 bucks there is now way it comes with the commander AND a computer LOL :)

However I don't run windows, so I can't use it or so it seems, still Fuelmoto put a basemap on based on what I specified so it should be good out of the box and if I need to tweak I can always borrow a friends 'puter

On a side note,

I was looking at the AutoTune module and decided not to go with it, is there any reason that I would want it? From what I can gather it's not important unless you want to race etc...

On a side note, I was looking at the AutoTune module and decided not to go with it, is there any reason that I would want it? From what I can gather it's not important unless you want to race etc...
Again, My BAD Mcgyver74!

I would think the FuelMoto basemap would work very well for you without the AutoTune feature. But it would come in handy for any future Mods along with the possibility of developing different maps for different situations (economy, 2-up touring, racing, etc.) the AutoTune would come in handy. I'm a recovering perfectionist who just can't leave well enough alone, just ask my Ex, LOL, so I'd want the AutoTune.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL yes I was asking if the power commander came with the software. At 300 bucks there is now way it comes with the commander AND a computer LOL :)
However I don't run windows, so I can't use it or so it seems, still Fuelmoto put a basemap on based on what I specified so it should be good out of the box and if I need to tweak I can always borrow a friends 'puter

VMWare Fusion is your answer!

Would this help?
winehq_logo_glass_sm.png

I can't see how it'd hurt.

[SIZE=8pt]I don't have a Power Commander but I do have a PCV and a PC. [/SIZE]

I thought about adding the PCIII but I do not have enough room under my seat. :angry:

My PC III is up under the tank in front of the coolant tube. I have two of the PC III tabs tie wrpped to the coolant tube to keep it from moving around. Seems to be working just fine up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i got my PCV from feulmotor and ihave it installed with the base map they sent. I had a chance t take it for a short ride today and i was able to notice a difference in the bikes performance. I am running stock air filter, Beowulf warriors slip ons and i also did a throttle body sync as well. Hooked every thing up, its a very easy install. The PCV is a small unit compared to the PC3, it fits under seat very nice.

I noticed the bike is a lot smoother with the on off throttle going into tight corners, seems to have a little more grunt in fourth gear and from 70mph to 100mph very quick. From 1200 rpm in 4th the roll on is very good and in fifth gear i notice that until you get in the 2500 rpm the roll on is a little slow until you get past the 3500 range.

Like i said i only had a chance to put about 30 miles on it so i will find out more this weekend. I have also converted useless pickles smooth map to the PCV and i will give it a try as well.

I would like to get a copy of some other maps that have been done for the PCV in order to compare them. IF you have a PCV please send me your info such as what year bike what you are running, ie, pipes, air filter ect, and i will put them into a spread sheet and compare the numbers. Also if you can tell me how your bike is reacting such as mid range power top end , smoothness ect it could be a help to get the perfect map for the PCV and the Gen2 FJR.

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread and also to those on this forum, it has help a great deal.

If anyone is planing a ride around the chattanooga area please let me i would like to meet you and go riding sometime.

:lol:

RH,

Yes, I'm a Linux User. I like a Computer that does what "I" want it to not what Unka Bill, or Unka Steve want it to :)

If I spend this $1400 to $2000 What will my FJR gain?
The respect of other board members who are still trying to justify their similar expenditures. :rofl:
amen,brother
It seems from all the dyno test I've read the slip ons are worth about 3-4 horses regardless of who's they are and I haven't seen any A-B dyno test on the Power Commander stuff and all I got from the fella on the phone at Dyno Jet was all about the different number of maps available. I asked the guy at Dyno Jet the direct question, will the PC-V increase the HP on my stock 08 Fjr and he said, " if your fuel curve is correct now it won't, if it isn't it will". I asked him what the stock AF ratio was on any stock FJR and he could not answer me. The FJR has been around for 7 years now and so if they are selling a product that cost $400.00 they should have a dyno test on it because they have test on the jet kits for FJ1100-1200 Yamahas and those kits only cost a hundred bucks.

I got a dyno test from 2 Brothers comparing their M-5 carbon fiber canister to the stock set up and it made 130.5 horses vs 127 for the stock set up but the graph doesn't show the air fuel ratio which means a lot when comparing these test.

Another issue that I haven't seen addressed is the ignition timing which is very important and I believe there is a seperate module that can be wired into the PC III and V that allows altering the stock curve but Dyno Jet has no data on what the stock curve is nor is it listed anywhere that I know of other than the shop manual list it at 5 degrees at 1000-1100 rpm (idle). Dale Walker says he will give you his map if you buy his pipes or slip ons but he has no dyno test to judge it's effectiveness so who knows.

I'm still pondering what to do to my recently purchased 08 but it looks like my only real choice is to base line it on the dyno and then start throwing parts at it until something sticks because all I've heard is maps, maps, maps, how loud it sounds and how much smoother it got after installation the Commander which is all meaningless without a dyno test and an actual test of the AF ratio which Walker or any of the pipe binders have listed and probably for good reason.

I would think removing the cats would help a lot however Muzzys complete system with no cats only made 128 horses vs 121 stock on an A-B test but again he didn't use the PC for the test nor did he list the sniffed AF ratio so who knows. Dale makes a complete system but he doesn't have a dyno test on it but list only the test for his slip ons which sounds dubious at best.

The problem with the FJR if it has one is that the camshafts are extremly small for the size of motor it has. At .040 checking lift my cams only have 225-225 degrees of duration on both the intake and exhaust which is pathetic for performance but good for low emissions and 2500-3000 rpm grunt. I called WEB cams yesterday and they said I was the first person who had ever made an inquiry about cams for an FJR which I found startling but to make a long story short I'll be sending them a set of new cams which they will profile after which they will be hard welded and custom machined/ground to a profile of my choosing.

With a stock motor all this Power Commander and slip on muffler stuff is just bull shit as it only nets about 3-5 hp with the stock air box and you can have all the maps in the world and that's all you will get except more noise.

If I spend this $1400 to $2000 What will my FJR gain?
The respect of other board members who are still trying to justify their similar expenditures. :rofl:
amen,brother
It seems from all the dyno test I've read the slip ons are worth about 3-4 horses regardless of who's they are

With a stock motor all this Power Commander and slip on muffler stuff is just bull shit as it only nets about 3-5 hp with the stock air box and you can have all the maps in the world and that's all you will get except more noise.
In the October '09 issue of Sport Rider magazine, they test the FMF Apex (slip-on) exhaust on a ZX-10R Ninja ($550). Un-restricted (loud/noisey) it gave + 2.3 HP and + .9 Lb/Ft: with the quiet cone installed, it gave - (minus) .5 HP and - (minus) .8 Lb/Ft (compared with the ZX-10R's stock system).

They did say it was lighter than stock and smoothed-out some transitions... :huh: