power commander and the 07 fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to wonder where you guys got your bikes. My 07's throttle is a little abrupt, but it's nowhere near "unrideable." Make sure your throttle cables are adjusted correctly as that made the abruptness even less.

I dont have a stiff throttle, low speed surging (whatever that is) or missing. Maybe I just got lucky.
You got lucky. Why, I have no idea as you surely don't deserve it. LOTS of peeps complained about the surging on the 06/07 models when Yammie changed the throttle cam profile. So much for 'improvement'. They changed it back again in 08 and made other fuel injection mapping improvements.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. Not all FJRs are created equal. There were subtle differences between all three of my 2004 FJRs.

I have to wonder where you guys got your bikes. My 07's throttle is a little abrupt, but it's nowhere near "unrideable." Make sure your throttle cables are adjusted correctly as that made the abruptness even less.

I dont have a stiff throttle, low speed surging (whatever that is) or missing. Maybe I just got lucky.
You got lucky. Why, I have no idea as you surely don't deserve it. LOTS of peeps complained about the surging on the 06/07 models when Yammie changed the throttle cam profile. So much for 'improvement'. They changed it back again in 08 and made other fuel injection mapping improvements.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. Not all FJRs are created equal. There were subtle differences between all three of my 2004 FJRs.
Yeah...I was being a hair sarcastic. I want someone here to explain what "surging" is. I have a feeling that the "surging" is mostly the riders being unable to hold a steady throttle, or just looking for a reason to gripe. Never had problems with my ECU, my ignition switch, or my spiders. Makes a guy wonder.

When you rode my bike, did you feel any difference?? To me, the throttle response on your '04 was very similar to mine, so I don't get it. Seems like the bandwagon theory to me: Joe Blow had a problem, so I must have a problem too...

Nothing to do with not being able to hold the throttle steady. Once you are on the throttle life is grand. It's that rolling on the throttle from having it closed that sucks. You really have to fight to move the throttle the slightest amount to ease into the gas, otherwise, surge! Unrideable is subjective though. Steele obviously didn't have any problems with my bike as he put 25K miles on it with nary a mod toward the fueling. However for me it was downright annoying on normal riding. However it's true dark side came in the corners. Slowing down and you go to try to get the throttle cracked open to set your speed for the next turn and it surges, and you close the throttle because it surprises you and then you are back where you started. Now you are into the turn and not yet actually on the throttle.

I actually had just about trained my wrist to deal with it on my normal day to day riding but it is so much smoother and more controllable after the modifications. I might also point out that if you have a manual clutch bike then you can also smooth this out on your own. As you come in to a turn you pull in the clutch, shift gears, get on the gas and start to let out on the clutch. Not so with the AE which makes this problem all the worse it seems. As you come in on the turn the clutch is still engaged and you are braking and using engine braking, downshift and roll on the gas....nothing smoothing it out for you because as soon as the downshift is done your clutch is engaged, so you get the lurch or surge as you get back on the gas. You could still ride around this, but it's nowhere near as controllable as it is with the stuff done to it. I wasn't loving the bike before but I sure do now.

I recently picked up an 07 AE. After a 40 mile ride home I knew that something HAD to be done about the fueling. After much research I decided to try the PCV first. I to ordered from Fuel Moto with their map loaded up (not sure if its really their map or a generic). WOW what a difference. I was skeptical that it would completely resolve the issue, but for me it did. I am now quite content with the way the bike performs. Hope this help.

I think alot of this has to do with riding style also. I did not have as much issue with the bike as Dad did, but I get on the throttle sooner, earlier in the curve. I usually lead in the twisties my cousin on the Harley next, then Dad. My cousin likes to apply his rear brake mid corner, right when Dad needed to apply throttle. This upset the chassis terribly. Dad would have to fall back further to keep from running him over. If Dad followed me, especially in long sweepers like on the BRP, the extra torque of the FJR as compared to my ST would have him right on my back tire coming out of the curve, but he could be fairly smooth. His issue was that if he had open road and time to set up for the curve he was good, if not the bike would stall, fall in, then the motor would come to life and (his words) "Jump like a billy goat". It was truly an unruly pain in the butt leaving a parking lot and turning back on the highway.

As far as surging goes the road I live on has a 15 mph speed limit. Any gear 1st thru 3rd and trying to maintain that speed would have the bike jumping and surging, you could not keep your speed unless you were slipping the clutch. I would hope that with the torque monster motor on these things it would at least be able to idle down a residential street.

If you have never ridden a Honda ST 1300 you can't relate, but that engine feels like an electric motor and the throttle delivery is smoooth. The PC-V has made the FJR almost as smooth as my ST but without losing any of the power and character that makes it such a blast to ride.

To summarize: I am not "jumping on a bandwagon". The bike had a problem for my Dad's riding style and was not functioning to the high expectations we had for it. Just like some need a different seat, or bar risers to set the bike up for them, we needed to make a change. As far as not being able to hold a steady throttle, that is pure bullshit. While I am certainly glad you never had a problem, it was a real problem. What if I asked you if you knew how to ride well enough to recognize a problem? That would be ignorant on my part, I don't know anything about your ability and you are obviously well liked on this forum. I have to assume you know what you are doing with your bike, please extend me the same courtesy.

Hmmmmmm...I'll come back to this. Maybe.

HotRod, please understand that I mean you no disrespect at all. I am only trying to communicate that individual riding style, personal taste, and variations between bikes all factor in to the equation. It is possible you could ride our FJR and not even notice a problem, not because you don't know what you are doing, but because you "ride around the problem".

It is a well documented issue that Yamaha struggled with fuel injection, not just with the FJR, but also with the FZ1 in an effort to meet tightening emission regulations. It is worth noting that the only thing besides the color of the bike that has changed in 6 years was the throttle cam and injection map.

With regard to high expectations, why not expect perfection? This is Yamaha's Flagship, the best, the A #1, supercalifragilisticexpealidocious, top of the line motorcycle. The fit and finish is exquisite, the paint lustrous, the styling crisp, the entire motorcycle so good you would think it was designed and built in heaven. Except the *%@damned fuel injection.

You cannot know how much I struggled with the decision to make any changes to this motorcycle. My father loves this bike in a way I don't want to have to explain here. Every time I ride with him, or see him on it I am filled with pride. I think, "Look how cool my old man is riding that badass motorcycle!" I promise you I would not have messed with it if there were not a real problem.

I'll also add that for me, the only place where the AE really offers any advantages for my riding style is when I get snagged in heavy traffic on my daily commute. Handling stop and go traffic with that lurchy throttle completely took away the advantage of not getting clutch cramp gave me. Now I sit in traffic completely comfortable and let the bike do all the work and...well...it's not a joy, because it's traffic, but I sure don't hate it as much as I did before. :D

Their is an issue issue with the bike and not me holding a steady throttle. This is my 18th motorcycle and its fi is ridiculous. I dont know why yamaha would sell them like this unless mine has something else going on. I will order a power commander shortly and report back.

Redfish Hunter +1. You did a great job of explaining the symptoms. And I know because my 07 is exactly like that! I just bought a PCV from 43Duc and may install it this weekend. It came from an 09 model so I hope the map is good for my 07. Will see... ;)

Redfish Hunter +1. You did a great job of explaining the symptoms. And I know because my 07 is exactly like that! I just bought a PCV from 43Duc and may install it this weekend. It came from an 09 model so I hope the map is good for my 07. Will see... ;)
I can send you my map for my 06, PM me with your e-mail and you can try it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah...I was being a hair sarcastic. I want someone here to explain what "surging" is. I have a feeling that the "surging" is mostly the riders being unable to hold a steady throttle, or just looking for a reason to gripe. Never had problems with my ECU, my ignition switch, or my spiders. Makes a guy wonder.

When you rode my bike, did you feel any difference?? To me, the throttle response on your '04 was very similar to mine, so I don't get it. Seems like the bandwagon theory to me: Joe Blow had a problem, so I must have a problem too...
I'm with HRZ. Either I'm too dumb to know what you all are having issues with or my bike doesn't have the issue. I can slowly accelerate just fine or I can dump the clutch and get into the higher RPM range instantly. I've lubed the cables but that's it. I had the ECU replaced under the recall AFTER I had spent a fun weekend chasing WorldBound4Now through the Rocky Mountains in CO. I never had the altitude problem.

Personally, I don't see what the fuss is about, but it's an interesting read during a work conference call :)