Power Commander V + Auto Tune

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lew

Reaction score
I just had Mickey Cohen install and tune the PC V + Auto Tune on my '07 AE.

A Fabulous difference/improvement in throttle response.

I had put the G2 throttle tube on previously.

Bonus: the average mileage on my 36 mile, one way, commute jumped about 10% to a peak of 52.8 mpg according to the FJR guage.

And that was with California's notorious 87 octane regular and consistant over several trips. I boogy in the toll (free for MC) and car pool lanes with a nominal speed of 75 mph (with the nominal traffic flow) or so.

I had just about given up on the FJR and was ready to send the 'killer' to the scrap heap (with all of 2000 miles on it).

A very expensive fix, but the FJR is now useful, even relaxing.

:yahoo:

Bonus: the average mileage on my 36 mile, one way, commute jumped about 10% to a peak of 52.8 mpg according to the FJR guage.And that was with California's notorious 87 octane regular and consistant over several trips. I boogy in the toll (free for MC) and car pool lanes with a nominal speed of 75 mph (with the nominal traffic flow) or so.
Don't mean to bust your bubble but I don't think your mileage shown on the display is accurate anymore. Check it using the old manual method of miles/gallons to fill and I think you'll see that your mileage actually went down :( . The reason is that the bike's computer calculates the estimated mileage based on how much fuel it is telling the injectors to deliver and has no way of knowing how much additional fuel the Power Commander added afterward, thus making the readout inaccurate.

Glad to here it runs so much better now. I've been considering getting a PC as well to smooth out the low throttle abruptness but didn't like hearing the reports of worse gas mileage.

Yep. I mentioned that to you mid June when you were playing with the ECU's but you were anti-PC at the time. Glad it worked for you, it makes a really big deifference.

AS SCRider said, you can't trust the MPG read any longer. Mine reads as if I get better MPG where as I actually get a little worse.

Yep. I mentioned that to you mid June when you were playing with the ECU's but you were anti-PC at the time. Glad it worked for you, it makes a really big deifference.
AS SCRider said, you can't trust the MPG read any longer. Mine reads as if I get better MPG where as I actually get a little worse.
:blink: :unsure:

Thanks for the reallity check!

I will do the usual manual check, though I don't have a reference value to compare it to as I was simply paying attention to the Yamaha dashboard indicator.

My Suzuki SV650S lost about 20% in gas mileage after installation of a PCIII.....that is what was holding me off on doing the PC again.

However, the FJR AE throttle response was dangerously abrupt and erratic, the folks on this forum indicated the newer Yamaha ECU's did not help, so I had to try the Power Commander or throw the bike away.

I am glad I did as the throttle behaves now.

I wish we had the ability to load programs into the ECU so we could avoid the ECU not knowing what is going on due to a piggyback fuel modifier. On my old Syclone and Typhoon, I could cut a new chip,,, miss the days of the owner having control over his vehicle's performance, and yes, some folks abuse the concept and ruin their machines.

My tuner, Mickey, says there is no advantage to using Dynojet's spark trimming, yet I have the nagging feeling that there is paydirt in changing the spark map.

I find it incredible that Yamaha would foist such a throttle on the public and do nothing to fix it for at least four years.

And yes, I do pay attention to what the forum folks are experiencing and sharing.

Thank you all immensely for the valuable input!

Cheers!