Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laz007

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 FJR a couple of weeks ago and keep finding all kinds of farkles I didn't know about on this thing when I bought it. Just last night when I was trying to figure out how the Autocomm Pro Sport 7 works I found a DynoJet Power Commander III underneath it.

I checked out the Power Commander website and it appears to be a fuel/air management device. I have not used these before and am not familiar with the device. Can someone tell me in more practical terms about the device and the benefits it offers to FJRs specifically? Is it a quality product and easy to use? Are there members here that have maps for the device and can give me some initial guidance for putting it to use?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions and if this topic has been brought up many times before. I'm just new to the bike.

Thanks for your help.

Howdy and WELCOME to our FJR family. This will prove to be one of your happiest decisions you have ever made.

I too have both an Autocom intercom system and a Power Commander on my 05 FJR1300. I am still experimenting with different "maps" for the FJR1300 which you can get from their website. Also, at the FJRTECH.com in the 'farkles' section is an article and download for the The Wally Kilburg "Smoothness" Custom Map. I used it for several months but I am experimenting now with my own maps. The power commander is a easy "set it and forget it" type of farkle unless you are an experimenter. I am not all that convinced that the FJR is any better with the power commander but I have it now anyway so I keep using it. I do not get good gas mileage (about 32 mpg) but I travel on the higher speed range than some B)

Let me and others know if you need any specific help with anything on your bike. This forum is like a close knit family and you can find all sorts of advise and answers, and some of them are big money savers and life savers!

Have fun and learn safely.

It is the devil incarnate... you should immediately go out into your garage, disconnect it, and send it to me for cleansing/disposal. Then I can return the one I just bought today! :lol:

It is indeed a fuel/air management device, which allows you to tailor the fuel/air supply to make the engine run like you want it to. Occasionally I've seen posts where users had to reset the unit, due to software issues, but in general I think they're considered a quality product. They have maps on the Dynojet website, and many people are fond of the Wally K. Smoothness map FJRtech article. Here's a similar article on FJRinfo with an additional map at the bottom. And one more at Mark Johnson's site

Is your unit a USB type? If so, you can plug it into a laptop to update the current map with a new one of your choice. You can also take it to a Dynojet tuning center (or anyone else who is competent and has a dyno) to create your own map.

All-in-all, I'd recommend removing it and sending it to me for safe keeping.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's already in use. Basically, it's used to adjust the fuel mapping curve, and has been a great help in solving niggling little problems with the stock mapping, such as surging, and engine heat. Go Here for more info, and a list of maps offered, some by Dynojet, some by FJR riders. This page offers some tips, as well as a link to the Wally Smoothness Map, one of the best for a basically stock FJR. Hope this helps.