Power Commanders on 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARKIO

Reaction score
Is it overkill having a Power Commander on the 2008 FJR when performance sure seems to be flawless? Have not found any convincing reason why any GENII FJR would need one.

For the most part, you don't get a Power Commander to improve max horsepower or outright performance. You get one to significantly change your throttle RESPONSE to make it buttery-smooth. Many folks complain of jerky throttle, bad off-on transitions, and surging. The Power Commander will fix this.

If you are satisified with the way your throttle acts, you probably don't really need one. However, you MIGHT be surprised by the improvement if you were to get one.

For the most part, you don't get a Power Commander to improve max horsepower or outright performance. You get one to significantly change your throttle RESPONSE to make it buttery-smooth. Many folks complain of jerky throttle, bad off-on transitions, and surging. The Power Commander will fix this.
If you are satisified with the way your throttle acts, you probably don't really need one. However, you MIGHT be surprised by the improvement if you were to get one.
Thanks for your insightful reply; having transitioned from my first Harley in 1974 to my eventual FJR in 2008 I thought I died and went to Heaven. I realize I am definitely "Old School" when it comes to simply getting the bike and taking it for a spin.

Last edited by a moderator: