Power distribution block

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahlr

Reaction score
I'm looking toward adding a Garmin 2720 w/ the Gadgetguy mount and possibly later on (as I save some $$) the J&M handlebar mounted cb system. I've looked at the power blocks from Electrical Connection (which seems to include relays etc...) and the one from Centech which has a cleaner look, (but unsure what else you get with the kit if anything).

What is the most popular with the group and cleanest install? :huh:

Currently just have the Motolites, Corbin heated seat and a rear mounted single Powerlet.

+1

I did a switched power bus installation in the right front cowling per Warchild's and Bounce's suggestions. It was pretty straightforward. Here is the finished product.

PowerBusRelay.jpg

It's a little bit cramped, but very convenient to the battery. I really liked the quality of the Blue Sea bus that some have used but ultimately rejected it due to its larger size. As you can see above, I chose the 6-position connector -- I don't have as many electrical farkles as some of you.

I used 10-guage tinned copper wire from US Boat and a 30-amp fuse next to the battery. My switched power source is the windshied auto-retract, which I had disconnected and rewired per the Bounce website article. Here are some more pics.

Tinned10Gauge.jpg

PowerBusJumper.jpg

BatteryRelayCircuit.jpg

Instead of zip-ties, I'm trying out a super-strong velcro-type tape that I got from Radio Shack. It's similar to the velcro that we use in the DC Metro area to mount the "EZ-Pass" toll monitor to the windshield. This stuff is strong and doesn't want to release -- next time I would use a smaller patch. Here's an image.

VelcroFasteners.jpg

I'm running my rear Powerlet from this bus.

Good luck!

As you can see there are many ways to accomplish what you want to do. I don't think one is better than the other, it really comes down to personal preference.

That being said, I think the Centech unit is pretty nifty. The Blue Sea is nice also, but I like the compactness of the Centach, and the fact that you don't have to put connectors on the wiring. I bought a Centach, but still have not used it. I ended up doing the Radio Shak barrier strip method a la Warchild that I modified a little bit. Works great.

Still, the Centach unit is way cool, and I am sure I will use it someday in some capacity. Below are some photos.

Centech1.jpg

Centech9.jpg

Centech7.jpg

Thanks a bunch guys for the pics. Just what I wanted to see, I'll mount in the same fashion.

Long boring winter up here in Mn.

So I got a bit carried away and redid my wiring. Soldiered, colored shrink tubed and labeled.. ( I did spell cruise correctly, just hidden)

ZZZzz

IMG_3649.jpg

Last edited: