Powering two sets of heated gear on one dual heat troller?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clovis

Reaction score
So I have a Firstgear (Warm and Safe) dual heat troller that I use to control my jacket and gloves independently. However, the jacket liner has a plug for the gloves to allow the jacket/gloves to be run off just 1 heat troller, however you lose the ability to crank up the heat on one and lower on the other.

Example, the gloves are luke warm to begin with so typically I have to have them maxed out and the jacket liner turned down.

Anyhow, if I want to run a second set of heated gear for my passenger, one would think plug mine into 1 pigtail and hers on the other and each person's heat can be controlled independently.

Here's my question:

So Firstgear says the heat troller is designed to heat one person only and if wanting to add a second rider, a second heat troller should be added.

They don't go into explanation beyond that so...

1) Is it an electrical limitation? Could I blow the inline fuse running two heated jackets at the same time?

2) Do they just want you to buy more? ;)

Anyone know? Does anyone run two sets of heated gear from one dual troller?

Thanks!

Clovis

MY solution to this scenario was to buy a second, portable

Heat-troller for the passenger and plug it into the port for

the Battery Tender. Everybody's happy.

I think Warm N Safe makes the First Gear stuff. Anyway, the reason for a second controller, is you are operating the jacket at 60-90 watts, and the secondary circuit is not intended to operate at that rate. You would be at the maximum capacity of the wiring and fuse to operate two jackets on that single circuit. It might be possible to run a second jacket from the glove circuit in your jacket, but why would you? It does make for some interesting logistics getting it all plugged in on the bike assuming you're close with your pillon.
flirt.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No advice on controller but...You could also consider some of the latest battery powered gear for pillion. I plan on going that direction to minimize drag on the bike and simplify the extra connections and wiring needed, For the few times the pillion will need (want?) heated gear, might save a few $$$.

Just my $.02. YMMV

--G

Get the second heat-troller for the following reasons:

1. You and you pillion can remain flexible with your individual options. You each might want to put heated insoles or socks on the second circuit.

2. Your pillion can adjust her settings as often as she likes.

3. I don't know what guage is used for the battery tender harness, or the gerbings harness, but two sets of gear on one harness is probably going to push it.

While on the subject, note that when sizing for the harness fuse, or the harness itself, IMO you should account for 100% of the current load of your heated gear, even if you think you will never turn your settings to max (if only wattage is given by the manufacturer, use the forumula: Current = Wattage / Voltage). Why? The heat-troller does not vary resistance like a rheostat. Instead it pulses at a varying interval depending on the setting. So even at minimal settings the separate heat-troller circuits will sometimes pulse for common periods of time, at max load for both circuits.

Although I agree that getting the second controller for the missus would be the best solution (it is what I have!
wink.png
) I do believe that one can power two heated liners off one heattroller without overloading it.

When a single person has both a jacket liner with gloves plugged into the sleeves and a full pants liner with socks plugged into them, wouldn't that be the equivalent of two jacket liners?
unknw.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the WnS site, the jackets are rated at 90 watts (7 amps) and pants at 40 watts (2.7 amps). Gloves are 11 watts each and socks are 9 watts each. So pretty close to 2-jackets of load. I agree it probably could be done, but again, it just means your wife will be in your pocket more often.
rolleyes.gif

A data point....

I have one Firstgear dual remote controller.

Last season we ran two jacket liners and occasionally added my rider heated gloves.

I would run my liner plus gloves on one control. Her liner on the other control.

The dual remote was clutch resevoir mounted.

Over time I learned she liked a 1/5 rotation higher setting than mine.