Powerlet install, how easy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busaroop

Reaction score
I bought an 05 and will fly to pick up on monday from Naples Fla. I would love to take my roady with me so I can have tunes for the ride home. My question is, what is involved in mounting a powerlet. I actually already have the kit for the right side fairing. Is it fairly easy to get to the battery? I was thinking the most problematic thing would be drilling the hole. Anyway, just thought I would ask if its easy enough to accomplish in a few minutes. Thanks, Chris

Easy is such a relative term. Just getting the panels off and on is a real pain for most and damn near impossible for some. Bring your cordless drill, a unibit, some silicone (don't use loctite) and plan on about an hour.

I have an 03 with power outlets ,one on each side. The right side is the easiest as the battery is right there. Powerlet has a right side kit that fits up perfect from hooking up the power lead to the outlet. Drill the hole, tighten up the outlet and hook up the lead. If you ordered today they could overnight it to where you are picking up the bike. Harbor freight has three piece unibit set real cheap. They work well on plastic.

Maked sure you have plenty of clearance for the Jastec socket in the right panel before drilling it. Tape it on from underneath, and test fit the panel to the bike first!

There is a bracket and a switch that you have to make allowances for.

I was a little too close on my first install.... :angry: ........ Second try on a new panel fit like a charm however, even with the Datel display. :D

This type of farkle without the right tools in hand could turn into mess while trying to get on the road. I would wait until I was home to tackle it.

A much easier/faster solution would be to purchase a female cigar adapter dealeo and wire it directly to the battery with terminals. Then run enough slack on the wire to put the plug in your tank bag to allow power for your roady.

...has the kit and needs the drill.

Taking the fairing off was a bit of a pain for me.

did the rearset kit that requires lifting the tank.

Took me and a friend about an hour to figure it

all out and git'er done. (We were smart enough to

save the brewskies for after we were finished.)

for the fairing kit, once the hole is done, I would think

should take a little less: no hassling with the tank.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

I just installed one on my 05 (right dash panel)

I had the benefit of having all of the plastic off the bike (& I mean everything)

I just bought the bike (new to me) w/9500 miles on it and wanted to do a deep cleaning. I was also putting on a set of frame sliders, fork brace, fenda extender, radiator guard and horns.

My .02 is to test fit, route the wires and make sure it all fits under the plastic. Measure twice (or more) drill once. I had the powerlet plug routed up behind the battery where I though it would work. I put a rolled up piece of tape on the top of the plug and dusted the tape with a little bit of baby powder to transfer a mark to the dash panel. Then I drilled the hole and finished the assembly. Might be a bit of overkill but I did not want to ruin a panel with a hole in the wrong place.

I picked up an 11/16" drill bit at Lowe's for $1.99, worked like a champ.

I preferred that to using a dremel to enlarge a more standard sized 5/8"

Maybe you could borrow a drill from the seller, and just bring your own drill bit?

Good luck & enjoy the ride home!

This type of farkle without the right tools in hand could turn into mess while trying to get on the road. I would wait until I was home to tackle it.
A much easier/faster solution would be to purchase a female cigar adapter dealeo and wire it directly to the battery with terminals. Then run enough slack on the wire to put the plug in your tank bag to allow power for your roady.
The thing is, to wire to the battery you've got to remove the right side dash panels anyway. Now with the panel in hand, all you've got to do is drill the hole in the panel and insert the powerlet - barely any more trouble than the cigar lighter in the tank bag.

I posted some pics from my recent PowerLet install on my 05 ABS. The ABS option crowds things a bit more than without. Everyone's advice so far seems to cover it. But I would also take an extra 15-amp blade-type automotive fuse. I blew my fuse somehow, have no idea how, while finishing the install.

Here's the link to my earlier post.

PowerLet thread

Hope it helps you.

Thanks to all who replied. I have decided that it would be better to wait and make sure its done right. I already have the Powerletkits, front and rearset but I better wait. I can always power my GPS with batteries and bring along a CD player but I will sure miss my roady. I have noticed that a new battery operated roady has hit the market but only lasts 4 hrs on a charge. Anyway, thanks again. PEACE

Easy is such a relative term. Just getting the panels off and on is a real pain for most and damn near impossible for some. Bring your cordless drill, a unibit, some silicone (don't use loctite) and plan on about an hour.
In my opinion, it's a pain in the ass job, but well worth it. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Yamaha would not have outfitted FJRs going back to 2003 with these gizmos. In the pre-2006 models, unless I am mistaken, you cannot even charge the battery as a practical matter without one, unless you remove body panels.

In a pinch, it is easy to just purchase a power outlet at a local auto store than install using battery connections, if time permits I recomment using a relay, I have both types installed. Do a search and you see many instructions for the fine people here

Last edited by a moderator: