PR2's and just about everything else sold out?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current set of PR2's are all but done for so I've been trying to get a replacement set from Petes Superbikes (which has, by far, the best prices in Canada).
First order, he was out of stock on the fronts so I ordered a Metz Z6 Interact. Got a refund in the next day because the Z6's are out of stock.

Second order, substituted an Avon Ultra II. Next day, refund, out of stock on the Ultra AND now the rear PR2. In between orders, he sold his last PR2 rear.

I've been calling around to the dealers who don't seem to have any in stock either. Those that say sure no problem I ask if they have stock. Well no, but we can get them over night. I ask them to call to their supplier. Nope. Out of stock.

Any suggestions for a high mileage tire? I've got a trip to NH/VT coming up, and an EPIC circle the continent trip coming up in Sept. I may just have to go for the car tire option (in fact I should, lots of slabbing).
I put some Shinko Ravens on about 5 weeks ago. Got 4000+ miles on them and they look good. Been in the rain with them, highway, twisty and really like them. If they last to 6,000 and I dont see why they wouldnt at this point, plenty of tire left, they will be a break even on cost including mounting with a 9,000 mile tire.

I like so much I have ordered another set for mounting for a trip out West.

Of course YMMV

Willie

Bungie,

I bought a rear Bridgestone 023 GT tire from Petes Superbike and put on over 3000 km of 2up riding with gear and so far so good. I had them in 5 days. No idea how long they will last but I expect they will do well based on the wear so far. They handled very well. I did an off ramp yesterday and there wasn't much chicken of a chicken strip left; so from a performance point of view they aren't too bad. They won't match my 003 on my sport bike but they are more than respectable for a FJR.

If you aren't adverse to the 023, give them a try.

Look at Jakewilson.com, just bought a set of Metzler Z6 Interact $250.00 free shipping. It looked like the Michlins were in stock as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update: Tires showed up from Derby Cycle today <phew>. They had a pretty fast trip through customs. Oh ya, customs bill. $44.33

I saw a set of the new Pirelli Angel tires on an ST the other day and they look pretty cool
I just put an Angel on the front, to replace the Avon Storm that developed a really ugly "bulge" in the middle of the tread.

I tried to get a PR2, but my local dealer in SF tried 2 suppliers and come up empty. Sound familiar?

The Angel required a ton of weights to balance. Disappointing.

I took it to a large parking lot to run circles for 15 mins. to scuff in the sides. Was a little surprised how it wanted to "fall" into the turn. Had to apply a little positive pressure to keep them on track. That doesn't tell me much though. And I didn't get a chance yet to take it out for a real workout. But most reports I read were very positive. I just hope it will give me some decent life.

Chris

Bit the bullet and took my front into Cycle Gear, Raleigh, to change the worn out PR with a new PR2...they had several in stock.

You must have had to real bad. I would'nt let Cycle Gear here in Albuquerque even think about touching my rims, unless I was going to just beat them with a big hammer and then scrape the paint off with a dull screw driver afterward, They are total Ass Holes. I took in My old ST1100 tires to be changed and they F***ed them all up. When I picked them up and saw the damaged rims I asked them WTF? They told me I didn't tell them to protect the rims from being all scratched and dented to Hell. So It Was My Fault? Yes, for taking them to Cycle Gear in the first place. I now own 1/2 of a NoMar tire changer. I won't even buy a helmet sticker from those wannabe's

You must have had to real bad. I would'nt let Cycle Gear here in Albuquerque even think about touching my rims, unless I was going to just beat them with a big hammer and then scrape the paint off with a dull screw driver afterward, They are total Ass Holes. I took in My old ST1100 tires to be changed and they F***ed them all up. When I picked them up and saw the damaged rims I asked them WTF? They told me I didn't tell them to protect the rims from being all scratched and dented to Hell. So It Was My Fault? Yes, for taking them to Cycle Gear in the first place. I now own 1/2 of a NoMar tire changer. I won't even buy a helmet sticker from those wannabe's
I've done my tires there twice and each time the manager did the job with nary a scratch or mis-balance, so I suppose I've been lucky. Yesterday, I was there all of 15 minutes, which was great considering they're normally backed up by a day on tire changes. I really ought to invest in some tire changing gear at some point, but the budget goes elsewhere generally.

I don't have a problem shopping there for the occasional accessory when I stop by every few months. The non-HD dealerships around here generally have pathetic or no offerings when it comes to accessories/gear (Ron Ayers would also be a fair exception), so Cycle Gear is a nice option to have (open 7 days a week with normal hours is nice too). We need more places like that IMHO. While I shop online for most everything, I like doing a "Lowe's" or "Sears Craftsman tool section" in places like that...just looking to see the goodies, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: