PR2's vs Roadsmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangers4094

Reaction score
Hello.

After about 4k miles on the original bridgetone tires that came on the bike, I am in the market for a new set of tires. Afer doing a good amount of research, I found that Michelin Pilot Road 2's and Dunlop Roadsmarts were the best tires for this bike. Just wanted to see what you guys thought, what tires you guys have, and if you like the tires you have now. I guess Im looking for a tire that will last mileage wise. Im really not looking to buy another set that is shot after 4k miles, I think that is bogus.

Thanks,

Josh

I just got another set of PR2's from the big brown truck. The old ones have over 9k miles and are probably good another 1k, but I'm heading down to Fla. in a couple of weeks to visit my parents and try a SS1k while I'm at it, so I'll be changing them out before then. Never ran Roadsmarts, but from what I've read, they don't last as long. The PR2's maintained a pretty good profile, especially for how many miles I've got out of them. Before I ran PP's on my FZ1 and never got more than 4k out of a set.

Oh, and NEPRT in 3...2....

I have Pr2 at the moment, good tyres, but I have had on a few occasions felt the front slide a little. I am going to try the Dunlop Qualifiers next, Id rather sacrifice longevity over grip. Some riders are seeing 7-8k and more out of PR2's

Andy

A friend who runs a touring Company in the Uk who travels all over Europe each year, uses three sets of tyres each season. He prefers the Dunlop Roadsmarts for wear and ease of tipping the bike into corners. He's been through all the tyre manufacturers and says the Dunlops and the Michelin Pilot 2's stand out of the crowd as being best for mileage and overall performance.

Just put PR2's on mine. Couldn't be happier. Made it feel like a different bike and my confidence level is very high. My Metzlers that came on the bike were the biggest POS' I've ever ridden on. The Road's make this a great bike. I'm sure either tire will make you happy though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to inform you, there are many reported failures on Roadsmart fronts with bulges and tread separations that have resulted in these tires being not recommended by many in the ST community. From what I gather, most of the failed tires were made in France. A friend in my area just had one bulge on a ride last weekend. Not for me!!

Just to inform you, there are many reported failures on Roadsmart fronts with bulges and tread separations that have resulted in these tires being not recommended by many in the ST community. From what I gather, most of the failed tires were made in France. A friend in my area just had one bulge on a ride last weekend. Not for me!!
wow...first I've heard of that for RS. What has Jeff Ashe been holding out on us for??? :)

Only bulge/bubble I heard is when someone strongarmed the tire on with a tire iron and damaged the sidewall. RS are stiff.

I went down the Roadsmart path -- never again. Front and rear both hit the wear bars at 4,000 miles at the same time.!! I've never done that with any set of tires before. I now have PR2's on .. 4,000 and still looking good .. + they're giving me the best feel of any tire so far. My .02 worth.

I liked them for about the first 2K miles, then they went south. The rear did ok, the front got the dreaded bulge. I'm in the never again camp with Dunlop RS.

I now have a set of PR2s on my bike, second set, and a thrid set waiting in the wings. What does that tell ya? :blink:

Please note there tends to be a pattern to people in love with PR2s on the FJR... Most of them are west of the Mississippi. Road surfaces and typical curve radius are very different there than east of the big river.

The Dunlop RoadSmart front is a total POS on the FJR. But pairing a Pirelli Angel front to a Dunlop RoadSmart rear makes a great combination that will hold securely in Eastern USA twisties, as well as yield decent mileage.

Michelin PR2 is my 3rd choice in tires, working down the performance scale. That scale goes like this...

Top Performer - Pirelli Angel (pair)

Middle-ground Compromise - Pirelli Angle (front) & Dunlop RoadSmart (rear)

Mileage Champion - Michelin PR2

Everything else - You get what you pay for (usually).

FWIW, there are still some front stradas out there to be had to pair with the rear roadsmarts.

I'm not sure if they are ANY better (or worse) than the Angels, but they are a really good combo with the Roadsmart rear.

Edit: Nevermind, my source just dried up.

Agree with the bluesman-I'm on my second set of PR2s and a third is in the garage.They have never let go on me, excellent bump steer characteristics,good on snakes,and wear evenly with the edges going first at over 9K. And I'm east of ole Miss.

Dunlops are harder compounds, therefore last longer, and it's a matter of grip vs. longevity compromise. I have not heard of any rear Roadsmart failures, but you'll never see a Dunlop on my bikes. To me, Z6's have great grip wet or dry, with a compromise in wear. I get about 10-12,000 miles out of a front, around 8-9,000 with a rear. Put a PR2 on the back and Z6 on front which is another good combo. PR2 is definitely lasting longer, with a touch of noise in the turns. To keep wear and cupping down (less heat generated), I am running front 42 psi/rear 44 psi. Not sure which rear to try next.

I'm gathering the Angels are a little softer/stickier than Z6??

Really? The Dunlop Roadsmart rear is a dual compound, just like the PR2. Yes, the center is of a harder compound than single compound tires, though I don't know if it is any harder than the center of a PR2. The sides are as soft (if not softer) than a PR2, but also have a shallower (flatter radius) profile. If you have not tried a Roadsmart rear, it is well worth a try. I would not advise running a Roadsmart front with it. Run something else up front, like the Pirelli Angels as recommended by others.

I'd like to get some more people with experience with the Bridgestone BT 023 GT to throw in the mix. They claim the specifically addressed the problems the 021's had on heavier bikes. I'm going on 4000 miles on mine. My 021 fronts cupped (of course) badly at just over 3000 miles, and my 023 is still perfectly round with a lot of tread left. Plus, I really love the feel and grip of them. We need to get HaulinAshe to run through a set of these...

I'd like to get some more people with experience with the Bridgestone BT 023 GT to throw in the mix. They claim they specifically addressed the problems the 021's had on heavier bikes. I'm going on 4000 miles on mine. My 021 fronts cupped (of course) badly at just over 3000 miles, and my 023 front is still perfectly round with a lot of tread left. Plus, I really love the feel and grip of them. The back is started to slightly flat-spot. We need to get HaulinAshe to run through a set of these... For mileage, they're definitely going to far outlast the 021's I had and the Pilot Roads (not 2) I also had.

Please note there tends to be a pattern to people in love with PR2s on the FJR... Most of them are west of the Mississippi. Road surfaces and typical curve radius are very different there than east of the big river.

The Dunlop RoadSmart front is a total POS on the FJR. But pairing a Pirelli Angel front to a Dunlop RoadSmart rear makes a great combination that will hold securely in Eastern USA twisties, as well as yield decent mileage.

Michelin PR2 is my 3rd choice in tires, working down the performance scale. That scale goes like this...

Top Performer - Pirelli Angel (pair)

Middle-ground Compromise - Pirelli Angle (front) & Dunlop RoadSmart (rear)

Mileage Champion - Michelin PR2

Everything else - You get what you pay for (usually).
Interesting observations on where one lives. I think factoring in these observations could really benefit members just as temps, wind conditions, and altitude should be looked at for certain issues.

Thanks for the comment. I had not thought of geography making such an impact on possible tire choice.

I'd like to get some more people with experience with the Bridgestone BT 023 GT to throw in the mix. They claim they specifically addressed the problems the 021's had on heavier bikes. I'm going on 4000 miles on mine. My 021 fronts cupped (of course) badly at just over 3000 miles, and my 023 front is still perfectly round with a lot of tread left. Plus, I really love the feel and grip of them. The back is started to slightly flat-spot. We need to get HaulinAshe to run through a set of these... For mileage, they're definitely going to far outlast the 021's I had and the Pilot Roads (not 2) I also had.
I actually purchased the 023's and was ready for install when I realized my local CycleGear had sold me the non-GT model. I was uncomfortable with trying them and returned them buying the PR2's. They looked really nice and I generally would have liked to try them but ultimately, I'm ecstatic with the PR2.