PR2s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
""So this time they really did rotate the tire on the wheel, and amazingly they can use less weight.""

Yeah, that's what I was thinking!

Hope the same tech didn't do the servicing of my forks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing that will lead to needing more weight is if the person using a balance stand does not seat the temporary axle in tightly against the bearings before balancing the wheel.

The last set of PR2's I had mounted on the bike had 1/2 oz. on the front and 1/2 oz. on the rear and it was smooth sailing up to 119mph (according to the Zumo). This set has 3 oz. on the front and 2.75 oz. on the rear. Both sets of tires were ordered from the same place and my question is how do you know if the tires you ordered are blemished tires? Is there an indelible mark that the manufacturer puts on the tires or something? Both sets were distributed by Drag Specialties and there was nothing notable on the sticker. I like these tires quite a bit more than the Metzelers but if this keeps up I might as well just give the guy a pig a lead and have him wipe a joint on the rim next time.

My FJR came with 30 grams of clip-on weights on the back wheel, I think 10 on the front. After checking, this was the imbalance of the wheel only. I leave these in place and put the new tire on. This keeps the amount of stick=on weights to a minimum, as tires in general these days are pretty darn good.

i removed them all, balanced the rim and marked it. then i balanced the tire with the heavy spot opposite the mark (which isn't always the stem). got the weight down to about 5 grams f/r with the PRs. Once was no weight on one and 5g on the other. cycle gear puts so many weights on a rim that you could build a second wheel from it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of clip-on weights, I've looked for these myself. I've never seen them for sale. What's up with that? Does anybody have a source?

Speaking of clip-on weights, I've looked for these myself. I've never seen them for sale. What's up with that? Does anybody have a source?
They are listed in the Yamaha parts book. I just added a selection of various weights to a parts order from Gary at Mondak motorsports (that source no longer available) a couple years ago. I much prefer just clipping the size I need on and reuse them over and over.