PR3 problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If, and I do mean if, everything is as the guy who experienced the failures says it is, then Michelin has some splainin' to do. I'm not going to run from PR3's at the next tire change, just because of this one post, but I'm going to book mark it to see what goes. You know what they say about stuff posted on the internet, it's all true! :rolleyes:

here's the pic.

5794397648_2e568e6844_z.jpg

I've never got 10K outta an MC tire, so I don't know how his looks like that with 10K on it? Sumting just don't jive with the dude's story, and I wanta see the front tire that blew too.

Didn't Michelin have "coming apart" problems when the PR2 was introduced?
Yep, but it don't stop me from run'in 'em.

The picture of the rear tire looks like it had air bubbles in it. Is that possible?

And why is the person running PR3's on a FZ6?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I could buy the 10,000 miles part, as that bike would be fairly light for the tire and as mentioned, the surface doesn't appear to have been run hard (reverted rubber, "chicken strips," etc).

Two things strike me strongly though. First is that the damage is at rim width, which is frequently an indication of impacts (think curbs and pot holes) or low enough pressure that carcass damage appears with that spacing. Second is that if you read the rest of his story, the front tire then also came apart! One tire I could see as a defect, but two on one bike? Of different sizes, meaning that they were made in different molds? At nearly the same relative use in miles and time?

Sorry, but my bullshit detector is flashing bright red so far on this one.

I guess I could buy the 10,000 miles part, as that bike would be fairly light for the tire and as mentioned, the surface doesn't appear to have been run hard (reverted rubber, "chicken strips," etc).

Two things strike me strongly though. First is that the damage is at rim width, which is frequently an indication of impacts (think curbs and pot holes) or low enough pressure that carcass damage appears with that spacing. Second is that if you read the rest of his story, the front tire then also came apart! One tire I could see as a defect, but two on one bike? Of different sizes, meaning that they were made in different molds? At nearly the same relative use in miles and time?

Sorry, but my bullshit detector is flashing bright red so far on this one.
I do know that same mold or not a batch of tire rubber is a batch of tire rubber. So it comes out of a mix into all sizes of molds. I know Metzler had 880's out of the Brazilian plant that were indeed a bad batch of rubber covering a lot of sizes. While the German plant were fine.

My BS Detector is up and especially since it was his wifes rear window he went through. And if you look at the pic posted above, right where his thumb is that chicken strip has a bunch of cuts it appears, but would assume that took a beating when it went flat.

Not crying the sky is falling but I passed on PR3 for Z8's as backup stash this time. The one post of the front feathering stopped me and now this.

We will see how it all turns out but until then, PR3 is off my list of tires to try for now.

Im also throwing the bullshit flag on this one. Why does the tire have 9999 miles on it when the 2006 FZ6 odometer shows only shows 9999 miles or does he set the trip odometer when he swaps tires? I dont see that it is showing trip odometer but I am not familiar with the FZ6 gauges. If there is a bit of truth to the story and the tire wear looks like that at 10K it should be a 20,000 mile tire if they hang together.

Then the dude asks a series of stupid questions. So now here is the question, what should I do guys? Suck it up and buy new tires? Same ones? Or the Pilot 2's? I can get a deal on the Power CT2's.... Should I call Michelin?

Should I call Michelin? Should I buy the same ones? WTF! Ya Id go straight after those PR3s again if that happened to me.

I'll be riding my PR3s tomorrow worry free. All new tires are nice but these new PR3s have impressed me so far over the Bridgestone and Metzler OEM POS and the PR2s. One thing I have found lurking other fourms is that you dont get the same level of competent information that you do here. I would like to learn more about my FZ1 from the FZ1 forum like I do about the FJR here but it dont happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pressures he said he's running raised a flag for me: "33 front 36 rear". I know the FZ is a lighter bike, but those pressures seem too low. Low enough to get that failure mode? Maybe the lower pressure coupled with some big pothole hits?

33 front 36 rear on an FZ6. What if he weighs 280 or more?? I'm with the something smells fishy crowd. Still wont buy PR3s though.

While my assessment is that the tire was underflated and the rim damaged it, I wouldn't be too concerned with those specific PSI's. When I take the FJR on closed course learning days, the instructors recommend those PSI's and my PR2's work just fine, no worse for wear.

However .. let's say he has a crappy tire gauge and they are actually 20psi ... for many many miles ... I could buy that. That would explain the damage to the front too. There's just one little thing ... I've ridden on 15 psi rear tires and in a straight line it was hard to tell that it wasn't inflated properly. However, an underinflated front tire is a whole different story.