PR3 problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While my assessment is that the tire was underflated and the rim damaged it, I wouldn't be too concerned with those specific PSI's. When I take the FJR on closed course learning days, the instructors recommend those PSI's and my PR2's work just fine, no worse for wear.

However .. let's say he has a crappy tire gauge and they are actually 20psi ... for many many miles ... I could buy that. That would explain the damage to the front too. There's just one little thing ... I've ridden on 15 psi rear tires and in a straight line it was hard to tell that it wasn't inflated properly. However, an underinflated front tire is a whole different story.
The instructors recommended 33 frt and 36 rear for PR2's? I was wondering what kind of pressures they'd say for the track...still kicking the idea around of going to Mid Ohio. I used to run 30/30 on Pilot Powers on the FZ1. The track is a whole different story though, after a few laps of hard braking and acceleration, your tires are probably at the same psi as they would be if you started at your regular psi's and went for a street ride. Unless you ride like a squid all the time...

I guess I could buy the 10,000 miles part, as that bike would be fairly light for the tire and as mentioned, the surface doesn't appear to have been run hard (reverted rubber, "chicken strips," etc).

Two things strike me strongly though. First is that the damage is at rim width, which is frequently an indication of impacts (think curbs and pot holes) or low enough pressure that carcass damage appears with that spacing. Second is that if you read the rest of his story, the front tire then also came apart! One tire I could see as a defect, but two on one bike? Of different sizes, meaning that they were made in different molds? At nearly the same relative use in miles and time?

Sorry, but my bullshit detector is flashing bright red so far on this one.
I agree with this. That doesn't look like any tire failure I've ever seen. Looks to me like he ran over something that tore some chunks out of it.

GP

So this is normal for a PR2 with about 6,000 miles :dribble: ,i got this tire just before the WFO 2010, i will try the PR3 , now what pressure? should i adjust pressure for two up? I'm a good size pup at 265 and well i can't advertize the wife's weight :rolleyes: , that would just be ........... i think i just need to slow down , but that like telling a bear to only take little bites. :D

I have been riding with my new PR3's - it has been really hot here and I have not been able to stick my fingers in them yet. :p Awesome tires so far but I can only compare them to the worn out stockers.