Practicing Panic Stops?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally speaking, some good advice here!

As I tell my students, if you promise me that you'll never rider faster that 15 mph, all you need to do is practice your quick stops (the MSF use to call them panic stops- meaning emergency stops and not implying the rider was in a state of panic...) at 15 mph! In other words, practice occassionally stopping at the speed that you'll be travelling when you really need an emergency stop!

The good news is that frequently practicing quick stop at slower speeds (20-30 mph) will help your stopping abilities at higher speeds. Here's how. As was mentioned, practicing improves "muscle memory" - the ability of your mind to react quickly to tell your body what to do. Practicing quick stops at the slower speeds won't help prepare your mind for the adreline rush you'll experience when the real emergency occurs at top speed but they will improve your chances of using the correct technique. Thus, practice both slower and high speed braking . . . just be sure to practice the slower speed braking frequently.

The proper technique: "all four paws." Use both hands and both feet. Squeeze the brake lever and clutch. Press the brake pedal and press the gear selector. Although it really doesn't matter what gear you're in when you come to an emergency stop, pressing both feet simulaneously is a easier body movement to coordinate; and it takes less "thinking time." Both hands and both feet - all four paws - everytime, all the time, at the same time!

As to the finer points- although someone has said, "grab the front brake," I trust they really meant a deliberate, hard squeese. Your first reaction should be squeeze with both hands (one on the brake lever and one on the clutch). The second reaction should then be squeeze the brake lever even more. "Firm to firmer" is the phrase.

Foretunatly, ABS does simply things. You don't need to worry about locking the wheels. For those non-ABS riders there's more to do. After applying the brake pedal hard (remember, both hands and both feet), you must lighten the rear brake pressure. "Light to ligther" is the phrase here. That would decrease the risk of locking the rear wheel. If it does lock, ride it out! If the front wheel locks, let off on the lever and reapply. Thank God for ABS- there it's merely "all four paws!"

The last point to remember- keep the bike upright, handlebars square - meaning keeping the front wheel straight. That's one of the hardest points to teach riders. If the bike is in a turn or leaned over- "straighten then brake!" Grab that bull-of-an-FJR by the horns and straigthen 'er up before braking.

If you ride fast, practice your techniques at the speed you ride- but you don't have to practice 75 mph quick stops till you ruin your tires. Practice some quick stops as speed but practice the slower stuff again and again and again!

Not to burst anyones bubble, but you can NOT practise panic stops. Panic implies you are controlled by fear. Practise implies the opposite.
From reading all of the responses, one could infer that reasonable people responded as if the question posed meant emergency braking rather than "panic braking", if one would understand and ascribe to the thinking and measured steps suggested and the practice prescribed in the various posts.

In an absolutely literal sense, you are correct, sir. Should we now use your rigid adherence to definitions as a guideline whenever anyone responds to a question you might pose. Or would we be free to deduce what you might mean in spite of the words you may use to pose your query ?

Inquiring minds will want to be informed and prepared. :blink: :D

[SIZE=8pt]And, yes, I am a might "testy" this evening. So!?!?!? [/SIZE]
:bleh:

Given that on forums like this, these things often get mixed up and interchanged and a significant amount of riders don't really understand the difference between a real emergency stop and a panic reaction (start an ABS thread and see how many non-ABS riders claim to be able to control a panic stop, even after you explain to them the difference between emergency and panic), I personally find it best to use the terms correctly and explain the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a trick for ya'll... Get a 12"x12" sheet of plywood or whatever, roll on to it with the front tire, hold the front brake, then see how far you 'push' the plywood before you have to release the brake. It will teach you to stay square, and get you used to the feeling of having the front end wash out, and how far you can really go but still save it.

Preferable to do this on a who-cares bike.. :D

The main point should be --- "Don't let your first 'PANIC' stop be before the first time you did a 'PRACTICE' stop."

If you want to impress yourself; put a cone or other thing in the lot and when you pass that cone hit the binders at say 25 the first time then up to 40. When you stop, park the bike and walk back to the cone and take a look at your bike. That should scare you pretty good. Practice this and you will see the distance narrow. Then you really know the value of "practice stops".

Oh by the way if you press down on the left peg as you press the rear brake pedal the bike will stay straighter (try it).

They may not admit it but many riders have never done a practice "panic" stop and are riding regularly.

I try to practice as best as possible when out riding, but it never seems to be the full out of my mind stop.
Then on my way to meet my mother last Saturday to trweat her to lunch, there I was zooming down the highway, running late, having a great time just rolling on by all of the other folks out there, when all of the sudden over a hill I am gaining on the car in front of me rapidly.

All of the sudden as I am looking through the rear window of the car to see what is going on, I get the sense i need to bring this baby to a halt, slowly apply both brakes then hit them for all they are worth as yes traffic stopped just like that, if I did not do a stoppie I had to be close. I always get the stretching sound of lock up, but the bike does not lock up. have been able to come to a controlled stop each time I have had a reason to apply these abs breaks at a moments notice.
If anyone else gets themselves in this situation be prepared for the guy behind you not stopping, check 6 and get ready to get out of dodge. I had my last bike totalled and still have issues with my hip and shoulder after being run through by a Neon,

Lesson learned, next time I will "Lane Split" just as I stop and put some steel between me and the traffic pulling up behind

Chris

Ok, Ok, all this talk about how to stay alive has gotten my attention...I've seen several post recommending practicing high speed panic stops, especially if you have ABS on your bike, which I do......as this seems to be very important to you, so I figure I better give it some practice!
Please advise just how you've achieved a proficiency on PANIC STOPS.......maybe you started at 20 MPH, then tried 40 MPH, then 60, then 80, then 100 or what? Do you hit the brakes as hard as you can at say 40 -60mph until you come to a complete stop or what?
I believe in the notion that you don't *really* ever practice a true panic stop.

What you *should* be doing is always stopping correctly and consistently, using firm, progressive application of the front brakes, and mild, steady application of the rear brakes. That way, when a true emergency arises, you're already trained, body and mind, to do it the right way, and there will be no thought in the process.

It is said that in an emergency situation, in times of crisis when the brain can't conciously process everything, the mind and body just kind of "run home to mommy", metaphorically. Meaning, you automatically do that which you always do, perhaps a little faster, or what have you. so, by always doing it the right way, you'll continue to do it the right way in an emergency.

Foretunatly, ABS does simply things. You don't need to worry about locking the wheels.
I have to disagree here.

ABS will keep you from locking up in a LOT of circumstances, but not all! I would never advise a rider with ABS they don't have to worry about locking up. One should still practice proper technique, and avoid the actual ABS system. It's there if needed, but shouldn't be treated as a given.

Surprises at high lean angles is a prime example. The ABS system may not let the wheel lock up in a straight line, but overbraking could still result in a side-slide of the rear which the ABS can't correct. Without the proper practice and knowledge, the typical reaction would be to let off the rear in this circumstance, and we all know where that goes.....