Pre-'06 Air Wings Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw some of these wing thingies out in Reno and am very interested, BUT ...
Can anyone tell me if they will co-exist with the Phillips HID's & Brackets from the group buy a few months ago ?

Don't wanna buy something I'll have to Mickey Mouse with, I'm not that good at cut & fit...
Don't know, The Pict above is Radman... Of course if you are like me

(PHID's on TopGun mounts w/ BLM Brackets....) It may not work.

But, that doesn't mean that we can't use the mirror mounts...

Yah reading this John, we'll want to see how this works w/ my setup also..

-bvw.

I would prefer a wing that I could adjust while on the bike, but I am in. Thanks for doing this. Email sent.

Craig

I saw some of these wing thingies out in Reno and am very interested, BUT ...
Can anyone tell me if they will co-exist with the Phillips HID's & Brackets from the group buy a few months ago ?

Don't wanna buy something I'll have to Mickey Mouse with, I'm not that good at cut & fit...
They'll co-exist with anything someone is willing to adapt to. If one isn't willing to do some modding to make them fit a non-planned for configuration though, I'd pass.

I would prefer a wing that I could adjust while on the bike, but I am in. Thanks for doing this. Email sent.Craig
I adjust mine while under way all the time, thats one of the nice things about them-they aren't that hard to rotate on the mount, but are pretty resistant to movement due to airflow.

My only problem with Baker's instead of Tulsas is that the fasteners on every set of Bakers I ever had were always coming loose. The Tulsa Air Wings were set-and-forget. The Bakers were so bad that I learned the habit of reaching out to each acorn nut fasterner and tightening them up every time I got on the bike. Trying to tighten them up with tools once ended up breaking the wing's plastic.

--update--

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disrespecting the effort being spent here. And, the Bakers were in use several years ago. Things change and there are always solutions to everything (nylocks for example). I'm just casually making an observation.

But your suggestion about contacting Tulsa has merit. Not so much for a group buy as much as to just look at their web site for what products are out there that might work with the adapters being fabbed in this thread. Looking at their site though, shows all "Wind Wings" as being "temporarily unavailable". This happened at least one time in the past when Tulsa wasn't happy with their fabricators. Looking at photos, it would appear that the Wind Wings would be too big for where we are looking at placing them. Baker's hand develectors are adjustable. Tulsa's are fixed. (Both are meant for the GL1800 if I'm reading the sites right.

Just a thought, since the Tulsa product uses a sweeping, curved surface instead of the partial-hexagonal shape (hard corners) of the Baker design. The flowing curve of the Tulsa was something I liked back when I had te GL1500. Sharing ideas and building on top of others efforts is what makes this forum so strong. Right away I think of the HID conversion for the H4 bulb and how different people ran with the basic idea and built on it without anyone getting twisted.

Like I said, thinking out loud, not denegrating anyone else's efforts. I hope the additional detail here helps place the original post in better perspective.

BTW: I had already sent an e-mail saying I was "in" on the group buy before posting this message. I haven't gotten a confirmation reply yet, so maybe it never made it and that's why this post was taking as some kind of personal attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had a problem breaking Baker's on any of the three bikes I have had them on. They have always worked as advertised.

However, Bounce, if you prefer the Tulsa's please feel free to contact them and see if they will make an FJR specific application, you can do the testing and then get a group buy started for them.

If you don't like the Baker's DON'T buy them!!! :nono: If the Tulsa's are that f..king great then what in God's name are you waiting for??? Get going on them!!! You can show the others here that this Minnesota hillbilly doesn't know shit when it comes to air wings!!! Perhaps you can sell yours at a premium!!! You are a little late to this party though. :p

In the mean time I am going to focus my energy on getting the Baker's ready for the group. :eek:k: :fans:

Perhaps you will have the Tulsa's ready for the 2nd group buy that inevitably occurs for the folks that miss out on the first or others can upgrade to the "Bounce'y Wings". :asshat:

Sorry, but someone always has to shit on the floor at the party. Thanks Bounce.

For the others who care the response has been OUTSTANDING!!! The wings will be ready in the very near future!

My only problem with Baker's instead of Tulsas is that the fasteners on every set of Bakers I ever had were always coming loose. The Tulsa Air Wings were set-and-forget. The Bakers were so bad that I learned the habit of reaching out to each acorn nut fasterner and tightening them up every time I got on the bike. Trying to tighten them up with tools once ended up breaking the wing's plastic.
Can't the fasteners be upgraded to locknuts or something?
This sounds like a legitimate issue that Baker's would probably address if given the opportunity.

Does anybody else with prior ownership have the same negative experience with the fasteners that Bounce alludes to?

Feel free to add a lock washer...I think the concern is "unique" to Bounce. I just ran 5600+ miles with the Baker's. They are as tight as they were when I left home. I have owned several of their products and have never had the experience Bounce has had. I think he never fully tighted them if he had to "check them everytime he got on the bike". Sounds like cockpit error rather than a design error.

Hell, use Loctite, Superglue, whatever when you assemble them and I think your fears will be allayed.

I don't recommend the use of Loctite products near plastics. If it contacts the pastic it can attack it. The plastic can end up looking like someone put acid on it. Other than that (and trying to deflect the emotion), the solutions all have merrit if someone has the same problems.

PLEASE read my update above for the proper context of my original post.

Mine haven't loosened up at all in the area Bounces post referred to. Their utility is more appreciated everyday I use them, hot or cold, they make a difference.

i'm in. e-mail sent. but i'm not familiar with them save for noticing them on some goldwings. just curious, do they have a quick release for on/off or do we leave them on till fall?

derek

i'm in. e-mail sent. but i'm not familiar with them save for noticing them on some goldwings. just curious, do they have a quick release for on/off or do we leave them on till fall? derek
By original intent, they go on and stay on. You can turn them out to block the wind in the winter. You can choose to remove them or mod a bracket/fastener to make them quicker to remove if you figure out a preferred way.

Although I'm a 'Wing newbie, I can tell you that the hand wings are 'new and improved'. There were complaints about the old hand wings turning in at speed above 75 (yes, they will go a bit above 75), but they added some washers or whatever to improve the holding ability of the hardware.

I have installed handwings and legwings (those things rock for engine heat) and just a couple of nights ago put on some fairing wings that I was waiting for - haven't tried the fairing wings yet, but I'm confident that they will improve things even more on the wing :yahoo:

There are warnings from Baker about over tightening the wings, especially the fairing model. I don't see how one could tighten the hand wings and actually damage anything on the bike. The fairing wings used to come with 3 vanes, but now only have the middle and top ones. Seems that the bottom ones would break from vibration. So if there is a problem, it appears that Baker is on top of it.

If they come up with a suitable bracket, I will order from them. Otherwise I will probably just fab my own, since I have wings to play with.

This is good news for everyone bothered by the FJR heat and my hat's off to those innovators...