Preferred brake pads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buf2phx

Reaction score
Is it the general consensus to stick with OE, or are there some good aftermarket alternatives? While replacing my tires today I noticed one of my front pads is starting to get a little thin.

Mike

I went to a harder Galfer brake pad. I was told by the Galfer rep it would be fine on my stock rotors. He lied, it ate them up. I went back to stock (bought new rotors and OEM pads, not cheap).

BTW - The Galfer brake pads were phenomenal! They could stop a freight train I loved them! I just wish they didn't eat the rotors for lunch. :(

From reading all the brake threads, it seems that the OEM pads are the best option out there. While others are less expensive, in the long run it's either eating rotors like Blusey posted or replacing rotors and pads for more $$$.

My $.02...I plan on sticking with the OE stuff.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
EBC HH Sintered - by far my personal preference. No wear on rotors, they do wear out faster than OEM, but they have a softer and more manageable initial touch.

But there's nothing wrong with OEM and they are long lasting.

Just replaced my fronts tonight... went with OEM, my rotors look great and there was still at least 25% pad left on my original brake pads after 37k miles.... can't complain. I really like the braking feel on the OEM, good feel when cold.

I paid $37x2 for the fronts at a dealer that had them on-hand so no complaints, probably slightly cheaper online. Few dealers have them in stock, they seem to have EBC's tho often...

OEM

now that being said, my '04 Gen I non ABS, it's OEM for front

I choose "cheapy" ebay $10-$15 rear pads which seem to be less powerful

I'm deeply fearful of high siding in a panic stop and like the back less sensitive to "ah shirt" stomping of the pedal

EBC HH Sintered or OEM pads for me. Front rotors still look good. I need to replace that rear rotor anyway...it's the original one and I'm surprised it's lasted 100k miles. :rolleyes:

A+ for OEM's

Save your rotors !!!
At roughly 40,000 miles the OEM pads were history on my '07. I switched to EBC HH Sintered at that time. The bike now has over 104,000 miles on it and approaching EndOfLife on the second set of EBC pads installed. All the rotors on that bike are original with no significant sign of rotor wear and well within spec.

Any fear of unusual rotor wear with the EBC HH Sintered is, in my opinion, unfounded.

In fact, I like the performance of the EBC HH Sintered so much better than stock, I removed the stock pads off my '06 at very low mileage and installed EBC. I keep the stock pads around for other people to use as spares.

I choose "cheapy" ebay $10-$15 rear pads which seem to be less powerful

I'm deeply fearful of high siding in a panic stop and like the back less sensitive to "ah shirt" stomping of the pedal
I have some cheap Ebay rears and even with the rear piston fully compressed I could not get them around my rotor??? Has anyone experienced this? They are very thick. I just threw my originals back on it is good for a while more.

Fwiw, I've used EBC HH sintered on a VTX 1800 and CBR 600, worked great with no rotor problems whatsoever. I wouldn't have a problem using them on the FJR when the time comes.

Carbone Lorraine SBK5 Front Brake Pads - Rock

OEM - Work Well

EBC HH Sintered - Never used them but great reviews

Galfer - Suck

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:

OEM - Work Well

Galfer - Suck

Canadian FJR
As I posted last month, those Carbonne Lorraine pads worked great but killed my rotors in short order. Going from memory here, but I think the stock front pad lasted me 35k and the CL pads only lasted 14k. And when I inspected the rotors I found a trench worn in by the pads with the thickness now below specs for service.

Luckily I scored a set of rotors of fleabay for half the cost of new ones and was planning on going with OEM pads, but I've like EBC's in the past and Haulin Ashe's report is promising. I can guarantee I won't use CL pads again. :angry:

OEM - Work Well

Galfer - Suck

Canadian FJR
Have you noticed any excessive rotor wear with the CL pads? I switched to them last summer and haven't noticed it, but I haven't really done much hard braking either.