Premium Gas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 01 Nomad required "premium" 91 octane or better. Unfortunately it was stated clear as day in the owners manual. Now, I understand the FJR will run fine on 87, unless knocking or pinging is experienced. It will be weird filling up with "regular" after almost 9 years of searching for gas stations with 3 pump handles so I am sure to get all 5 gals of premium (especially when only topping the tank). Seems most stations now have the 1 pump-handle system, so from what I have heard, the first gal or so would be whatever the last person pumped.

A fuel that does not knock (89 octane for the FJR) will produce the same power as higher octanes.If your FJR knocks with 89, go up to 91. Other than that, it matters not. Use the lowest octane that does not knock.
And that is exactly correct. If you motor knocks, you should 1- check the timing ie get a tune up, and then if it persists, 2- use a higher octane gas.

The times I have rented HD's in the US they always say "only use premium" well, guess what I put in? REGULAR! and does it knock? well not that you would notice above all the vibrations anyway :yahoo: