Price premium for a ready-to-go battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
How much more would you pay for a battery which has the liquid already installed?

My Westco was delivered ready-to-go off the UPS truck. Others offer a dry battery with user-installed electrolyte included.

How much of a price adder should a ready-to-go battery command over a dry, user-prepped battery?

Nothing! I would prefer to add the electrolyte since the batteriy's lifetime doesn't really start until the acid is added. If the already-prepped battery has been sitting on a warehouse shelf in an unknown state of charge for months (or years) it is not likely in optimum condition (especially if allowed to be discharged during storage).

How much of a price adder should a ready-to-go battery command over a dry, user-prepped battery?
My understanding is that all lead-acid choices for the FJR are sealed batteries (aka VRLA). I'm not aware of an option where you can choose a user-filled battery. So, I guess my answer would "not applicable".

I htink the replacement i got for my old bike was shipped dry, then sealed. It was an AGM battery,

There are not a lot of batteries that come in new bikes that are already 'sealed'. Yamaha in the FJR and 250 motard and Can-am in the Spyders. Most other 'sealed' batteries in new bikes come in dry. They are filled with acid, charged, and then the 'sealed' caps installed. I suspect that most these are a version of the AGM batteries since they may end up lying down in a sport bike for ATV.

You are probably better off with a 'dry' battery that you fill and charge yourself since the battery doesn't start 'ageing' until the acid is added.

I'm with Ross. I would prefer a battery to be dry shipped as then you can activate it only when you need it, do the initial charging and know that it was done correctly, and you will know that is the first day of its life. IMO a wet shipped battery is worth less $$.

I would assume that if it's shipped dry and you activate it, that it will have a 0 charge? Don't many battery tenders not charge a battery from 0? I have a Noco and I don't think it will.

That's correct. I've done this many times. Once you activate the battery by pouring the acid in it, it will already have a charge in the mid 12V range and could be used right away. I prefer to follow the directions supplied and trickle charge it over-night (at less than the 1.2 amp max charge rate) to make sure it is fully charged before installing it in the bike. If you have a battery tender that is really all you need to fully charge the battery.

My original battery failed just as I was about to leave on a road trip. Luckily I had a dry Yuasa on the shelf. I filled it, installed and hit the road. Time will tell if not charging overnight will affect its lifespan.

My original battery failed just as I was about to leave on a road trip. Luckily I had a dry Yuasa on the shelf. I filled it, installed and hit the road. Time will tell if not charging overnight will affect its lifespan.
Probably not too badly since riding the alternator would charge it as well. Just not at the optimum low rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put in a new Yuasa. It was at 4.2v dry. When I added the acid, it was at 12.7v. So I'm sure it would have been fine. I, however, did put it on a 1amp trickle charger for the afternoon and it read 13.7v.

FYI - it replaced a motobatt in which I was disappointed. It only lasted 2.5 years. I'm in Houston, so it's not like it's exposed to extreme temps. Never a float charger, but the most it ever sat between rides is 3-4 days.

Last edited by a moderator: