Problems with Pilot Road 2's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Storms on now. Loved the azzaros and these too. But don't like the Storms wear. At 7,500 km (approx 4,500 miles) rear is almost on the TWI's front still looks good. When new tread depth as measured by me on rear was 6 1/2 mm and now is 1 1/2 mm so I assume TWI is at 1 mm. Front tread depth was 4mm new and now 2mm so I assume half worn.

I have ordered a set of PR2 to try. I'll keep the half worn front Storm for an emergency spare.

[...] Thoughts?
Wow, I am glad to see this thread. I had my first pair of pr2s last year. I loved them, I had never ridden anything like them, dry, wet, any condition, any speed, any road. I only got 4k miles but that was typical for me. I am now finishing my third set of pr2s. Compared to the first two sets, the grip-ability of the set kinda sucks! Does anyone else have complaints about the consistency of pr2s? Good sets and bad sets?

So far, the 3 sets or so I have had had been pretty consistant. I know if may be late now, but where yours made in Brazil, France, or Thailand?

This could be a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]I don't think of myself as an aggressive rider. Last week-end I was riding with a bunch of twenty-something sport bike riders. There were five of us and we were on some twisty roads in Wisconsin. When I was riding at a more spirited pace, the bike was handling great and I kept up and even moved up in the order to third. I started thinking "you better cool it". I fell back to sweep and immediately noticed the bike wasn't handling right. Something felt loose in back. The feeling was like making a right or left turn over crosswalk paint. The only difference was this was happening on smooth dry roads. There was no anticipating it like "here comes the paint". The rear would just shift slightly.

[...]
I have experienced this exact problem with a set of pr2s. I put brand new pr2s on my FJR one weekend then started on a 3000 mile interstate ride the next weekend. I noticed less than stellar grip during the first week while riding my normal commute. After returning from the trip with the flat-spotted tires I frequently felt the rear tire just go away when leaning. That condition has generally improved as the flat-spot wears off. I have put an additional 2500 miles of twisty wear on these pr2s since returning from the interstate trip, so the flat-spot is not as noticeable as it was and the handling has become progressively more consistent though still not pr2-like. Still, I experience extreme drifting of the rear tire if I lean low and corner sharply at low speed--turning the corner on city streets for example. I expect to get another 500 miles out of this set. The contour should be back to the original profile about the time the threads come through!

My take is this, when the tire squares-off, leaning the bike is sort of like balancing a coin on edge. You can bump it a little and it will come back to vertical, but beyond a certain critical point the coin cannot recover.

Still, this set of pr2s just doesn't seem like my first two. The stellar grip was absent this set from the beginning but I feel guilty for complaining because I've already got 6k miles on this set and that is absolutely unheard of for me. Typical mileage for me is 3500 to 4500 per set of any good tire.

"So that leaves two other rears, and one other front. The difference in the two rears is apparently due to different construction for different types of riding. One of these rears has 3 Polyamide/1 Aramid tread plies, and is meant for 2-up/fully loaded riding, and is slightly more expensive (Dennis Kirk part # 543510) and the other rear has 2 Polyamide/1 Aramid tread plies and is meant for lightly loaded single-up riding (Dennis Kirk part # 543359).

The other sites I looked at to price match (SW Moto, Derby Cycles) seemed to only have one model of PR 2 in each size (180/55/17 and 120/70/17). "

Perhaps this could be the reasoning behind the difference in rear feel that some have compared to others?

The abovementioned seems to tie in with what my tire dealer told me about a "C" rated rear tire for the fjr which is due to the increased weight of bike and load(rider,passenger, cargo) and the tire is a bunch more costly (275 installed). My question is that is appears everyone is getting the basic pr2 and is that the right tire for the bike? And that may be causing some of the problems people are having. ???

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]I don't think of myself as an aggressive rider. Last week-end I was riding with a bunch of twenty-something sport bike riders. There were five of us and we were on some twisty roads in Wisconsin. When I was riding at a more spirited pace, the bike was handling great and I kept up and even moved up in the order to third. I started thinking "you better cool it". I fell back to sweep and immediately noticed the bike wasn't handling right. Something felt loose in back. The feeling was like making a right or left turn over crosswalk paint. The only difference was this was happening on smooth dry roads. There was no anticipating it like "here comes the paint". The rear would just shift slightly.

[...]
I have experienced this exact problem with a set of pr2s. I put brand new pr2s on my FJR one weekend then started on a 3000 mile interstate ride the next weekend. I noticed less than stellar grip during the first week while riding my normal commute. After returning from the trip with the flat-spotted tires I frequently felt the rear tire just go away when leaning. That condition has generally improved as the flat-spot wears off. I have put an additional 2500 miles of twisty wear on these pr2s since returning from the interstate trip, so the flat-spot is not as noticeable as it was and the handling has become progressively more consistent though still not pr2-like. Still, I experience extreme drifting of the rear tire if I lean low and corner sharply at low speed--turning the corner on city streets for example. I expect to get another 500 miles out of this set. The contour should be back to the original profile about the time the threads come through!

My take is this, when the tire squares-off, leaning the bike is sort of like balancing a coin on edge. You can bump it a little and it will come back to vertical, but beyond a certain critical point the coin cannot recover.

Still, this set of pr2s just doesn't seem like my first two. The stellar grip was absent this set from the beginning but I feel guilty for complaining because I've already got 6k miles on this set and that is absolutely unheard of for me. Typical mileage for me is 3500 to 4500 per set of any good tire.
update: Last week-end Gramps, Scoobyvroom, and I tagged along with a group ride organized by a local sport bike riders forum. The turn-out was about 30 bikes. That group was divided into three staggered groups. The first group to ride the route was the Leather Racing Suit crowd. We rode with the second group (I told you I wasn't an aggressive rider).

My tires performed perfectly. Nothing unexpected.

I am pretty much convinced that some of my disappointment with the PR2's is the fact that I expected to get high miles out of them like many others seem able to, and I simply just do not. After 3 sets, the front tire is gone after 4k miles, the rear will do 6k max. I want to push them and get my money's worth, and I did with the first set which in retrospect wasn't a lot of fun. They just don't do the miles for me, and so I get pissed when they start to slip and slide so early in comparison with others longevity experience. I just have to man up and face the fact they won't last any longer than other tires for me, and so the extra dough, even though it's not much, seems kinda unwarranted at this point. Storms are next for me.

So far, the 3 sets or so I have had had been pretty consistent. I know if may be late now, but where yours made in Brazil, France, or Thailand?
This could be a difference.
Wow, I don't know, and I just left them at the tire shop a couple days ago. I really wish I could say. (Incidentally, I got over 7500 miles. Still no threads but not much tread either and a wavy, funky profile. I road last weekend in the rain and had a lot of difficulty.)

I must start visiting the forum more often.

QUOTE (topanga @ Jul 31 2009, 01:11 PM)

I've had 2 sets of PR2s, in my experience the front tire goes long before the back. I've managed 6k out of the front at best. The rear lasts till about 8k for me. I can't speak for anyone else's experience, and I am certainly not a tire expert, but for me the bad period happens when the sides (I guess this is the dual compound?) gets to a point where it suddenly grinds off really quickly. Then the bike is just all over the road obviously in a really bad way.

Thought I'd provide a pix from another post. This is a front PR2 that's been pushed really really hard.

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

After reading this thread I wonder if we are talking about the same tires.

PR2, B rated?

PR2, C rated?

I have the B rated tires and as of now have 10K+ on the front with more to go. I ran the twisties down at EOM 9/10's 2up without any issues. My only concern with these tires is wet roads and i tend to slow down a bit. I will by the B rated tires again when they become available.

Dave

It's like Warchild said; essentially your milage may vary. I have had 4 sets of PR2's at this point. the first 2 were fed on a pure twisty diet and lasted about 4500-5000 miles. the third set started on all you can eat twosties then went on a strict across contry diet until I got to Auburns house for set number 4. because I did highway miles there was far more tread left than I had atnicipated (and taht was after getting blown around in KS with cross winds that would toss the bike across half the lane). My current pair made it across the US and have served the remainder of the summer; not as much riding as I would have liked at this point, but at 6500 miles I would say I got another 1000 left.

Things I have noticed. First, if I havent been keeping the sidwalls scrubbed they get a bit slick and need to be scrubbed (of course I am talking about on the road). once warm and clean they are fine. Second, as you approach the end of their lifespan the sidewalls wear off faster. I am pretty sure this relates to heat dissipation. with less tread thickness the ture heats more and wears faster.

Of course I am full of shit but this is what I have noticed. The PR2 IMO is the best trade off between performance and longevity on this bike.

After reading this thread I wonder if we are talking about the same tires.
PR2, B rated?

PR2, C rated?

I have the B rated tires and as of now have 10K+ on the front with more to go. I ran the twisties down at EOM 9/10's 2up without any issues. My only concern with these tires is wet roads and i tend to slow down a bit. I will by the B rated tires again when they become available.

Dave
Hey Dave,

This is front tire, I think the B spec applies to the rear only..

I'm at 8900 miles on the set I mounted for CFR and they still have ample tread left. I'm headed to San Jose to visit family this weekend and, if they still look good I plan to ride them to the NorCal 3-36-96-299 ride on Oct 16th.

Should I become "chicken", I've a new set in the garage. ;)

For MY "sedate" riding style they work just fine. :rolleyes:

I have almost 6,000 miles on my PR2's after tearing up some good curvey roads in Arkansas and Missouri this weekend. Solid as a rock and tread looks pretty good. Slight cupping on the front, but not enough to notice it when leaned over in the turns. Still liking these tires. I keep waiting for some of the bad things to happen I'm hearing in this thread, but so far so good.

GP