Proper GIVI Mounting Plate stock 03 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanatitan

Reaction score
This should be simple, but I’m having trouble finding this w the search function

What plate do I need for an 03 FJR to mount a trunk?

It’s got the stock luggage rack — will prob do a GIVI top case, but any advice is appreciated

You need to first determine what brand of case you want. Yamaha, Shad, Givi, etc. They all require different mounting plates. And you als want to do a little homework on a beefed up rack to put the plate on. This will avoid having a cracked subframe due to stress of the extra weight bouncing around back there.

Example... the Givi SR357 rack (not sure if that's what you would use for your year) is generally accepted as way better than the stock rack. On the 357 you'd install the corresponding plate for the top case to mount to

The Yamaha aluminum rack is considered the beefiest. A Yamaha case would mount to that, but I got creative and mounted a Givi plate to it for my Givi box.

I have a Shad rack, mounting plate, all hardware, and a 50L Shad top case for sale if you're interested. The listing is on this forum in the PARTS section. Excellent condition.

Also have a black Yamaha aluminum rack in new condition which is available.

Everything came with the 2018 I recently bought.

Text or call me at 908 868 3104 for details.

Billy

I have a Shad rack, mounting plate, all hardware, and a 50L Shad top case for sale if you're interested. The listing is on this forum in the PARTS section. Excellent condition.

Also have a black Yamaha aluminum rack in new condition which is available.

Everything came with the 2018 I recently bought.

Text or call me at 908 868 3104 for details.

Billy
That probably won't work for his 2003.

Example... the Givi SR357 rack (not sure if that's what you would use for your year) is generally accepted as way better than the stock rack. On the 357 you'd install the corresponding plate for the top case to mount to
Gen I uses the GIVI SR346 rack. (SR357 is for all Gen II +)

This should be simple, but I’m having trouble finding this w the search function

What plate do I need for an 03 FJR to mount a trunk?

It’s got the stock luggage rack — will prob do a GIVI top case, but any advice is appreciated
Are you looking for an adapter between the stock rack and a Givi Monokey case? I don't believe Givi ever made one specific to the Gen 1 (they did for the Gen II -- the E228). I believe your only option would be to McGuiver a universal Monokey plate to your rack yourself, such as this one: https://fortnine.ca/en/kappa-monokey-mounting-plate-k553l -- but I don't recommend that. The OEM rack is notoriously weak and many have suffered sub-frame cracking as a result. (The heavy duty Yamaha rack is not available for the Gen 1).

As RossKean said, the SR346 is purpose-made to replace the OEM rack with a stronger steel one that comes with a Monokey plate. A much better option. I had that on my 03 for several hundred thousands of it's life and my son is still using it. It was used and abused with never an issue.

Note that Givi has two different mounting systems -- the Monokey and the (confusingly similar) Monolock. The latter is aimed at smaller, cheaper cases intended for scooters and small bikes. To the best of my knowledge and belief, they have never offerred a Monolock mounting option for the Gen I FJR (there is an E228M listed for the later bikes, but I've never actually seen one in person).