Protect your Noggin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This stuff pisses me off too Hans. I think an adult should be able to ride however they want, but should have the brains and take the time to protect their passengers; especially children...But I also have to think back to when I grew up.

I remember sleeping on the rear dash of my dad's car when I was very small, and I remember my brother and sister standing on the front seat in the center, or riding on my mom's lap. No one wore seatbelts back then...Not even kids.

I rode horses without a helmet. My dad put me on bucking steers when I was a kid just to see if I could hold on. My brother and I learned to use a chainsaw that didn't have a bar-brake, and I used a table saw without an automatic shut off if I got a finger in it. I learned how to hunt and shoot a real gun and not point it at another person.

Patch and I learned to ride motorcycles before we were 10, but we rode in shorts, t-shirts, no gloves, and no helmets. It's just the way it was. Maybe we were too dumb to know we needed it, but back then, people didn't really freak out about stuff.

Shit...We had lead paint on the walls, took knives to school, had mercury thermometers, real sissors, and no GFI plugs in the bathroom...And we lived.

In the midst of all this danger, I learned to be tough as Hell, and learned how to take care of myself while taking responsibility for my actions. Millions of kids lived this way, and grew up just fine. Think about it JB...You're older than me...When was the first time you remember wearing a seat belt? I bet you were over 18.

I would never let my girls ride my motorcycle without gear on. Hell, I make them wear bike helmets and gloves for their bicycles, but I don't want them to endure the same pain I did when I know how to mitigate it. My 9 year old wears a helmet when she goes to horse jumping lessons, but at my parents house, we ride for hours I always forget it. I shouldn't, but it's just one of those things.

Even with a helmet, if an 1800 lb horse falls on her after a jump or in a field, she could end up really hurt, paralized or dead, but should I shelter her so much that she never lives? I'm sure some parents think I'm irresponsible for letting her shoot, ride my motorcycle, jump horses, ski and rappel, but I want my children to experience everything they can. If something happened to any of them, I would be devastated, but how do we prevent every possible bad thing from ever happening?

I don't agree with the way some parents raise their kids, but they are their kids. I will try to educate them and sometimes cite them, but are they really any more wrong than any of us? I gotta wonder...
:thumbsup:

Zilla, I didn't think you were old enough to remember the seat belt thing. :grin:Ha. But I know Bounce is. :lol: I always wanted a bike growning up, but my dad never would let me have one. I think he had a bad expiereince on one when he was younger. I finally bought one after he passed away, much to my mothers dismay. That was That was 39 years ago. Riding is one of my true joys in life. I've already told my best friends that if I ever bite it on the bike, I want them to tell everyone at my funeral I died doing something I loved. Not everyone can say that before they exit this world.

GP

Last edited by a moderator:
Zilla, I didn't think you were old enough to remember the seat belt thing. :grin:Ha. But I know Bounce is. :lol:
i heard that!

[but i do remember it and was driving already when the wave of mandatory passages went through. dad had 3 point harnesses on his Austin-Healy when i was a tyke.]

Zilla, I didn't think you were old enough to remember the seat belt thing. :grin:Ha. But I know Bounce is. :lol:
i heard that!

[but i do remember it and was driving already when the wave of mandatory passages went through. dad had 3 point harnesses on his Austin-Healy when i was a tyke.]
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? I'm almost 40. Haha...However, the seat-belt laws in NM didn't go into effect until about the time I got my driver's license at 15. Maybe right before, but I remember telling my mom that the cops couldn't make me wear my seatbelt...Now, I won't get into the car without one.

It's not my fault most of you guys are old enough to be my dad...Sheesh!

i heard that!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? I'm almost 40. Haha...However, the seat-belt laws in NM didn't go into effect until about the time I got my driver's license at 15. Maybe right before, but I remember telling my mom that the cops couldn't make me wear my seatbelt...Now, I won't get into the car without one.

It's not my fault most of you guys are old enough to be my dad...Sheesh!
Gaaaghh !! Ya made me look :rolleyes: I am old enough to be your dad :lol: You make some great points for a youngster though :) Ref:- post #7

i could only be your dad if i'd had kids when i was 16. i ain't from AR, son. :rolleyes:

because of my exposure to seat restraints when growing up, i wore belts any time i had a car that included them. when they passed the mandatory law i was resistant not because i didn't want to wear them but because, like mandatory helmet laws, anti-drug laws, nationalization of churches, prostitution, and Democrats, i knew it should be a personal choice.

it benefits me personally when the gene pool goes through a voluntary cleansing on occasion.