Protective riding suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spridal

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be riding my bike to work more often now and have been riding with my work clothes (Shirt and Slacks) under my riding jacket, gloves and boots. and decided for obvious reason that it would be best for me to start wearing a preferbly all in one suit that would offer better protection. I'm in Palm Springs so heat is an issue for me, hopefully I can get good protection and comfort. Any help will be appreciated.

Protection and confort (as in Palm Springs during the summer) is going to be as hard as it is subjective. The Stich is the gold standard for sure in protection and as comfortable in the heat as can be expected for wrapping yourself up in a big Cordura tarp.

You might have to ask yourself if mesh clothing provides enough protection while being able to breath in the EZ Bake Oven you call the Coachella Valley.

I personally leave several pair of shoes at work and change from my riding boots. Suit jacket I put in the side bag until I get to work. Otherwise, it's Joe Rocket Mesh jacket and pants for me in the Columbia Basin (where it like the 90's and low 100's in the summer).

P.S. Moving thread to it's new home in Parts and Accesories. Clothing discussion belongs in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer my Rukka suit purchased from www.gearupnride.com. Have to wear Gore-Tex liners on rainy days, but on hot days it's like wearing a t-shirt and shorts as it is a complete Cordura air-mesh. Since Dupont designed this Cordura especially for Rukka and motorcycling (Iggy, pay attention here, answering your concern) the mesh is very protective; I've gone down in a sub 45mph slide with absolutely no tearing or abrasion, couldn't even tell the suit has been down. Many people *race* in this suit, including one of the dealers at GearUpNRide (which means many organizations have certified it as race-worthy). It's a two piece-er (though I thought you could also get a single suit, not sure), and the jacket zips to the pant with a 3/4 zipper (ie goes 3/4 of the way around my waist, not just a little 6 inch zipper in the rear); takes a bit longer to put on, But I've ridden in it from 30 degrees to 95 degrees in almost complete comfort (let's face it, at 95+ degrees, you're just gonna be kinda hot. Don't like it? Take yer car.) When the temp dips below 40 and I have to ride for more than 45 minutes one way, I put my Gerbing jacket on underneath. When I want to commute to work I wear my clothes under it; when I want to just ride I wear a pair of mountain hardware backpacking (ie wicking) shorts and a similar wicking t-shirt underneath--warm day nirvana. And when it rains, it's 100% waterproof, unlike the 'stitch. Bone dry in all-day thunderstorms, no problem. For the money, the best year-round, all-weather riding suit I've owned--AND it comes with a 5-year warranty. Beat that, 'stitch!

I leave my dress shoes at work, wear boots to and fro, I use Joe rocket mesh pants over what ever I wear that day, put rain pants on under if it is going to rain. Need to break down and get the frog togg rain suit from base pro shop, everyone here that has one states it breaths, I'm in the humid Midwest.

Alter ego jacket, peel off cover (quick zip) reveals mesh. Mesh works great in the summer.

Broke down and purchased heated jacket liner, glove liner and socks for cold weather time.

Now, if money was not an object, there is mesh out there that is better.

So, any way it’s better than nothing.

Anything else would just be too hot to wear.

...Now, if money was not an object, there is mesh out there that is better...
What mesh is better do you think? I'm just considering purchasing some mesh stuff.

Don

Think Kevlar

www.cycleport.com

Maybe if I had bought it first, since I already bought all this will just have to wait until, someone wants to buy me xmas presents I want :p

for palm springs - it would be nice to wear one of the vented suits - but most of them seem to fit pretty tight. (maybe it is just my belly).

having spent much of my riding life in the desert - I would have to go with aerostich - Darien. You might even want to go with Darien Lite.

The reason is that there is definitely more air flow through a Darien than a RoadCrafter from aerostich - it fits looser (or can if you order the right size) and actually is warmer in the winter because you can layer more easily.

I have some mesh stuff - just dont trust it much. Unfortunately, I have to wear a suit at work - so the jacket goes in the saddle bags and wear my suit pants and such under.

for me - the Darien actually felt cooler than the mesh. The mesh seemed to let the sun through and the hot air - where the Darien added a layer of insulation and kept the sun and wind off..

mindtrip, which rukka do you use? There looks like there are several.

Don

mindtrip,

Your dealer might have exaggerated just a bit. I raced AMA, CCS and WERA and, unless things have changed considerably, 3/4 length zippers are not allowed in competition but they are allowable in many track days run in conjunction with those sanctioning bodies' events.

I agree with the Cycleport Kevlar. I've had my kevlar for a set of seasons now. I always wear my gear, and have never had weather be an issue. It's on and off in a flash, has waterproof windproof liners, and quilted liner for warmth, or wear your favorite(mine's soft fleece) underneath. In the summer, I wear shorts and tshirt underneath. The mesh kevlar is very flow through, has back, chest, and arm armor, lots of pockets, and is machine washable(no stink).Liners store in the coat or side bags. Run a cable lock through the leg or sleeves to lock them to the bike when you want to stop, and window shop. Mesh and other "poly" materials melt into your skin. Leather is too hot, stinks after awhile, and looks stupid on middle aged chunky guys(like me). Oh yeah, I live in San Jacinto, so I am in your area, same climate. Next to my FJR, this is hands down the best motorcycle money I have ever spent. Cycleport is in Escondido, so you can go get fitted instead of trying to measure yourself. Not really that expensive if you consider it's year round gear. Don't buy a Sticth one piece until you check this out.

I have found my Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar to be very versatile and comfortable throughout the 30-110 degree range of my home area. It has a waterproof removable liner but I wouldn't waste my money (again) on the insulated liner they sell for the jacket. There are much better layering garments available that look good off the bike as well. I wouldn't worry about the stuff not holding up in a get-off at any speed. It's the inanimate objects that will end you, or the cagers that subsequently run you over once you're laying down in the roadway.

Cycleport kevlar looks interesting.

Anybody have a good link to a vendor for prices, etc.? cycleport.com is not it. Google is giving me good reviews for the most part....

thanks....

mindtrip, which rukka do you use? There looks like there are several.
Don
I use this suit, the APR3. Very, very comfy. For those chilly days when I forgot my heated gear, the waterproof liner has this air-bladder thingy (designed by the makers of Gore-Tex) that you inflate to give you an extra insulating layer. I've tried it, have to say it works well, lets me go down by about 10 degrees (~35 before I'm really missing the heated gear).

Panther; hmmmm, the guy at gearupnride.com said he'd raced in it, or at least I thought he did, but maybe he just participated in track days. I'll have to ask him. Either way, I'm very, very pleased with this suit. In fact, the only downside is that in I've lost 35 lbs since January (diet and exercise and all that) and now this suit is too big for me. Hmmm, if anyone is interested in a good deal on a 1-year-old Rukka suit, let me know, I was going to just deal with it but if I can sell it I can go down to a smaller size... :D

I ride year round in my Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, but after reading more about the Kevlar suit at Motorport.com, I am developing a sense of reluctance. Don't get me wrong, the stitch is a great suit. Has performed well for me for the past two years and has lasted many others a decade or more. The TF2 armor in the stitch is great.

In the middle of the Las Vegas summer, I roast on my 20 minute ride home. My outlook on this is a positive one. A little heat on such a short ride is a lot more tolerable than the burning sensation of leaving your skin on the pavement and then laying there on a 115 degree day without protection, blistering up any point in contact with the asphalt as you wait for an overloaded emergency medical system to get an ambulance to your location.

In the winter, the stitch is great down to 30 degrees with simply a fleece jacket and winter riding gloves.

I hope this helps.

I did look long and hard at the Kevlar suit from motoport, as I was replacing a Kevlar suit made by First Gear for Harley Davidson (yes, I did once own something Harley, and for 3 years it was a bombproof, waterproof suit, albeit with crappy armor). My FXRG suit started leaking in the rain, and DWR didn't fix it, so Harley honored the 5 year warranty on the newer suits (even though this one only came with a one year warranty, I called their 800 number and the person I talked to just looked at the new suit's 5 year warranty and quoted that. When I went to the dealer with that info, they call H-D, who traced the call, and indeed honored the warranty... I do have to admit that's pretty good customer service!) so I got back the entire $950 I spent on that suit. I called motoport, who indicated their suits would take 4-6 weeks at that time to ship, due to being backordered. But as I commute on the bike and needed something immediately, I got the Rukka suit instead, which GearUpNRide shipped for free; had it in 2 days.

However, after already being off the bike in this suit with no marks or damage whatsoever, I don't think it's any less protective than the Kevlar stuff, and the attention to detail is great. Best liners I've found, and I've ridden in the liners at ~80 degrees and not felt hot. That Outlast "smart fabric" used in the liners works like a charm! I like it so much that I replaced my now-leaking Gerbing gloves with the Held Hawk gloves (Gore-tex liner and Outlast smart fabric) for touring--they are a touch warm when the weather hits 90, so I still wear my vented leather gloves when it gets hot, but they are outstanding touring gloves, and they have kept my hands warm (without any heated grips or wind protection on my hands) down to 30 deg F. If I decide I need heated gloves again, I'll get a set of the Gerbing glove liners to put inside them.

I've had good results with the "Frank Thomas" line of gear. Check at a local "Cyclegear.com" shop. They have a huge selection of good stuff.

B)

I did look long and hard at the Kevlar suit from motoport, as I was replacing a Kevlar suit made by First Gear for Harley Davidson (yes, I did once own something Harley, and for 3 years it was a bombproof, waterproof suit, albeit with crappy armor). My FXRG suit started leaking in the rain, and DWR didn't fix it, so Harley honored the 5 year warranty on the newer suits (even though this one only came with a one year warranty, I called their 800 number and the person I talked to just looked at the new suit's 5 year warranty and quoted that. When I went to the dealer with that info, they call H-D, who traced the call, and indeed honored the warranty... I do have to admit that's pretty good customer service!) so I got back the entire $950 I spent on that suit. I called motoport, who indicated their suits would take 4-6 weeks at that time to ship, due to being backordered. But as I commute on the bike and needed something immediately, I got the Rukka suit instead, which GearUpNRide shipped for free; had it in 2 days.
However, after already being off the bike in this suit with no marks or damage whatsoever, I don't think it's any less protective than the Kevlar stuff, and the attention to detail is great. Best liners I've found, and I've ridden in the liners at ~80 degrees and not felt hot. That Outlast "smart fabric" used in the liners works like a charm! I like it so much that I replaced my now-leaking Gerbing gloves with the Held Hawk gloves (Gore-tex liner and Outlast smart fabric) for touring--they are a touch warm when the weather hits 90, so I still wear my vented leather gloves when it gets hot, but they are outstanding touring gloves, and they have kept my hands warm (without any heated grips or wind protection on my hands) down to 30 deg F. If I decide I need heated gloves again, I'll get a set of the Gerbing glove liners to put inside them.

I got the Rukka suit instead, which GearUpNRide shipped for free; had it in 2 days.

Which suit?