Purchasing suggestions in California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Spunk....reg in Nevada or something ??? Work at the DMV ??? We all want to know how you did a out of state purchase and got reg in Cali ???????
My bike will be registered in the glorious state of Idaho. I am done giving my hard earned tax dollars to subsidize education, health care, food stamps, etc.. to anybody who wants it in California! Hell, you don't even need to be here legally to get on the gravy train here. Idaho uses my registration fees (all 25 bucks of it) to make the roads drivable and such. Plus, only pay 6% sales tax up there. My Roadstar is already registered in Idaho. :yahoo:

:clapping:

Smart man ! I figured you had an out somehow !!

A search on the topic didn't give me to much so Im wondering if you fellas could give some suggestions on where to purchase an 06/07' FJR (new) here in California. I was going to hold out until the new concours made it to the floor but its time to bite the bullet.

I appreciate any leads!
If you absolutely must have new...this won't help you, but:

San Jose BMW has an '06, not broken in yet, slip-ons, power commander, 6 months old for $10,495.

It sounds good to me....

When I went to Chapparal they wanted to add about $1300- $600 shipping, $625 handling, and $55 doc fee to the MSRP (IIRC their MSRP was $13799). I thought it was a bit of a rip until I went to Bert's in Azusa- same MSRP plus ......

You're not going to believe this.....

$1600 shipping and $1625 handling!!!! $17000 +tax & license!!!!

I ended up at Yamaha of Cucamonga. I left them a $500 deposit for "old school" clutch model- $16000 otd with the 48 mo. Y.E.S. Thought this was a good deal untill I saw $11779!

Can anyone tell me what a realistic average is? -I can't register anywhere else, so I probably need to buy in Ca.

Thanks, Mike

When I went to Chapparal they wanted to add about $1300- $600 shipping, $625 handling, and $55 doc fee to the MSRP (IIRC their MSRP was $13799). I thought it was a bit of a rip until I went to Bert's in Azusa- same MSRP plus ......

I ended up at Yamaha of Cucamonga. I left them a $500 deposit for "old school" clutch model- $16000 otd with the 48 mo. Y.E.S. Thought this was a good deal untill I saw $11779!

Can anyone tell me what a realistic average is? -I can't register anywhere else, so I probably need to buy in Ca.

Thanks, Mike
Mike - I think you can do better than $16,000 OTD. I purchased an 04 ABS for $13,000 OTD from Redlands Honda-Yamaha (Y.E.S. not included). I know the 07s are more expensive than 04s but not $2600 more expensive ($3000 price difference minus $400 for Y.E.S.).

You should shop a little more IMHO.

Larry

I got an online quote from OTD Cyclesports for $14999, but they have an ad in the Cycle Trader for $14,499, so with that in hand I will be paying another visit to my dealer. I don't want to squeeze them dry because I can appreciate how tough it must be to be a small shop these days, but I don't think I need to be quite that generous!

I want them to stay around and I'd like to have a good relationship with them- Chaparral's service department is a very not-funny joke, and the people at the other local shop have been total jerks both times I stopped by there. How do these people stay in business?

Thanks, Mike
Mike, I paid $12,999 OTD TOTAL for a brand new 2006 FJR A model here in California. Then I paid D&H $379 for the 4-year YES. You are being quoted WAY too much. Shop around!

Which dealer did you get yours from?

Thanks, Mike
Mike, I paid $12,999 OTD TOTAL for a brand new 2006 FJR A model here in California. Then I paid D&H $379 for the 4-year YES. You are being quoted WAY too much. Shop around!

Not sure of selling prices, but Roseville Yamaha has two 07's and another 12 or so to be delivered over the coming months. They also have an 06 AE with less than 200 miles they use as a demo...I rode it, I likee :yahoo:

Now that the pre-order BS is gone, there will be unsold bikes sitting around before long...better deals are coming, if you like Red :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
So Spunk....reg in Nevada or something ??? Work at the DMV ??? We all want to know how you did a out of state purchase and got reg in Cali ???????
My bike will be registered in the glorious state of Idaho. I am done giving my hard earned tax dollars to subsidize education, health care, food stamps, etc.. to anybody who wants it in California! Hell, you don't even need to be here legally to get on the gravy train here. Idaho uses my registration fees (all 25 bucks of it) to make the roads drivable and such. Plus, only pay 6% sales tax up there. My Roadstar is already registered in Idaho. :yahoo:

I hope you also have an Idaho drivers license. If you get stopped and you produce a drivers license from CA and a registration from Idaho and they both have the same name on them, it may cause DMV to do an investigation. That would end up costing you a lot.

Which dealer did you get yours from?

Thanks, Mike
Folsom Yamaha up in Northern California. The price was so incredible I rented a car, took the Family up, and rode the bike back with Family in tow. I have all the paperwork to prove it. It was $12,999 OTD total.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folsom Yamaha up in Northern California. The price was so incredible I rented a car, took the Family up, and rode the bike back with Family in tow. I have all the paperwork to prove it. It was $12,999 OTD total.
I tried calling but they refused to give an OTD price over the phone (per their company policy)

I'm better off buying from a local dealer

I tried calling but they refused to give an OTD price over the phone (per their company policy)

I'm better off buying from a local dealer
Perhaps this new policy was because of my deal. Last Summer they ran an ad in Cycle Trader. I called and asked if this price was OTD. The guy put me on hold, came back and said it was. I told him "sold", asked him to take a deposit over the phone. They took my credit card, and I asked them to fax me a bill of sale reflecting $12,999 out the door. They did. I further explained I would have to drive nearly 500 miles to pick up the bike, and once again wanted to verify the price out the door. They again stated $12,999 out the door. With bill of sale in hand, I rented a car and drove all the way up there. Once I arrived, there seemed to be a little confusion when they tried to work the deal in their computer, and it took a while. I can see why as they were likely upside down in the deal. I met the owner, and thanked him for the incredible deal. He stated it was not that great a price, but a good one. He likely was unaware of the details at that point. I paid and took the bike home.

A couple weeks later the Sales Associate called me to see how I liked the bike. He then explained there had be an error, and I should have paid the 12,999 PLUS tax and fees. He did not try to get me to pay, only stated I had received a SMOKING deal. I had realized this when I spoke with them on the phone, hence my urgency to put a deposit and receive a bill of sale signed by their manager. I feel pretty fortunate to say the least. The dealer was very good to me and did the right thing.

The best dealer I have found in the Bay Area is Grand Prix in Santa Clara. The people are good, and HONEST. I won't go into details but I wouldn't buy a spark plug from East Bay Motorsports. I know several people who deal with Grand Prix and they have all been happy.

Tom

IBA #161