Push starting the bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past weekend GEEZER and I rode in the Rhodyrally and had the opportunity to exchange tips, tricks, and ideas regarding many different things....one of them being functions of the GPS. At one point after playing with the GPS's we went into the house to get our shit together before our departure. Of course by the time we came out, GEEZER's battery was completely discharged which at the time seemed pretty funny until I realized that mine was also. I think the neighbors got a kick out of watching 2 grown men running down the street pushing motorcycles and probably got even a bigger kick out of watching them take off suddenly after they fired up....Anybody else have the pleasure of jumping their bike yet? Note to self: Avoid engaging throttle upon start up. :blink:
Not good but would of been worse if you had an AE model and no jumper leads.

I push started mine once.

I'm easily distracted, and paid the same price.

I'm surprised that people are starting in 2nd or 3rd gear. I used 1st, am I doubly stupid?

This past weekend GEEZER and I rode in the Rhodyrally and had the opportunity to exchange tips, tricks, and ideas regarding many different things....one of them being functions of the GPS. At one point after playing with the GPS's we went into the house to get our shit together before our departure. Of course by the time we came out, GEEZER's battery was completely discharged which at the time seemed pretty funny until I realized that mine was also. I think the neighbors got a kick out of watching 2 grown men running down the street pushing motorcycles and probably got even a bigger kick out of watching them take off suddenly after they fired up....Anybody else have the pleasure of jumping their bike yet? Note to self: Avoid engaging throttle upon start up. :blink:
I tried to pop start mine after I left the key on, but had no sucess

Second or third gear spins the engine a bit faster, given such a low wheel speed when pushing. Sudden starting will be softened a bit too.

There is a point where there won't be enough voltage to let the coils fire, 9 volts is right about the lower limit for a FJR. Even though your battery may be too winded to turn the high current starter it often has enough life left to power the ECU, FI system and the fire coils.

As soon as you realize you've left the ???? on, turn it off right away. If your battery is healthy it will recover a small amount of power if you let it sit a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember failing when trying to push start my bike with in the first week of ownership, left the ignition on and walked into work, when out at the end of the day to a dead battery!

, but saw quicksilver do it at 05 EOM I think at a resturaut going to about a 7 degree slope and only moving 10 or so yards i think it was him!

hmmm, I have not done this my my FJR, but of course I have a AE model. How would I do this with the AE model?
I don't think you can. Saves all that embarrassing huffing and puffing. Just find the jumper leads. Better still, confirm your superiority by not flattening your battery.

I push started lots of bikes back in the day but no way could I push a 670 pound FJR up to speed then jump up on the seat to start it!!! I know I'm weaker at 66 years old but you guys must be on steroids. Kudos to those that can do it.