Putting more "Sport" into the looks of an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both mods look pretty good IMO. Don't think the windshield mod is on my list of mods but the tail section is. As far as rain coming up and hitting me in the back, I really don't care. I'm wet already. My top case will protect from rain from flying up my back on longer rides. Great picks! Nice looking bike.... :good:

All you guys with "I don't care" about the rain, consider that rain from the wheel is considerably nastier than rain from the air. Oil, mud, sand, and all will leave stains as well as making you wet.

Anybody know of a fender eliminator where you can bolt the fender back on? Like swapping the shields? I really like the idea of losing the fender for the summer but putting it back on for the winter. 'cause yeah, I'd prefer not to have road splooge all over me, but I really like the sporty look without the donkey tail.

BrettB- I don't know of a bolt on deal. I've made them for other bikes I've owned but the FJR is not put together the same. I had to dremel off some plastic and make a new back 1/3 of the inner fender to get a clean line. It is also put in there before a few other parts so it would be difficult to buy one off ebay, modify it, and swap them back and forth.

Wfooshee- I still don't care. Maybe I'll carry a trucker's mudflap to screw onto the plate if I get caught in the rain. Better yet, a Kurakynn (sp?) lit one for a Goldwing!

Now if you could just get your bars a bit lower ... clip-ons ?
I have been trying to push that rope for six years. The FJR's 48mm forks are an odd size, shared with the ThunderAce (YZF1000, slightly more sport-bikey predecessor to the FZ1) only. I have a set of clip-on clamps, but you can't be that low- you need Z-shaped bars to clear the fairing.

One guy made his own bars, same style as OEM but about two inches shorter. That's about perfect, but he's not willing to do any others. Convertibars say their setup won't fit. Helibars do risers and were never interested in lowers.

Sad thing is, it's not rocket science. The '84 Nighthawk S came with 3-way adjustable bars. If Honda could do it then, why couldn't Yamaha 20 years later?

For the windshield- just for practical purposes in summer riding I've got an '04 OEM windshield I plan on taking a few inches out of to make it about 4" shorter than the OEM '03 was (so, 5.5-6")... soon as I figure out where I put that round TUIT down.

Thanks for pointing out the "AE" Majicmaker. I fixed that.

DCarver- good call. I also use that name when someone needs my name at a restaurant or store. You'd be surprised how many people know who Harvey Mushman is. It certainly has been a conversation starter with riders that I would have otherwise not met.

Can you add a couple detail pictures of the cuts you made on the back fender? Did you lose your toolbox space?

I like the idea but would like to try to design a quick disconnect for it to easily re-attach.

Can you add a couple detail pictures of the cuts you made on the back fender? Did you lose your toolbox space?

I like the idea but would like to try to design a quick disconnect for it to easily re-attach.
I'll try to remember to take some pictures later today. (It's not daylight yet.) There was a bunch of cutting involved so I can't see any quick disconnect on this setup. I did lose the rearward most depression on the inside of the fender. If you leave that it would hang an inch below the sight line and not make that clean line from the side. It works for me, it may not do it for others.

The previous owner cracked teh rear fender on mine so i trimmed it just below the tag. I hate it, the tail light and back of the bike is always dirty . I need to make a mud flap to extend it back down to where it belongs.

The previous owner cracked teh rear fender on mine so i trimmed it just below the tag. I hate it, the tail light and back of the bike is always dirty . I need to make a mud flap to extend it back down to where it belongs.
There's been numerous forum members that have used small rectangular plastic trash cans to make replacement/extended fenders. You can just cut out one side for a flat panel or use part of the corners for a more sculpted look. Search the forum for pics...

Geez, podna...where ya gonna put ya stickers ??? :rolleyes:

230193_1762282458317_1276761601_31617540_7407270_n.jpg
You should mount a metal windscreen on your scoot so you can then apply nifty magnets as well (looks like you have something 3D on there already!)
That windscreen reminds me of something you would see in the Haight in San Francisco. Given it seems to be patriotic, it would not likely be from S.F. Is it a windscreen or a billboard?

Hi all,

I was sick of the lack of riding due to snow, intense rains, and epic cold this spring so I thought I'd get out the saw. When I ride any distance I put on my saddlebags, factory trunk, and V-Stream windshield. I always hated the large black plastic tail section so that was the first thing to go. I knew that I'd never use my stock windshield so that got cut and dremeled. I'm pretty happy with the looks for short hops around town. The wind in my face feels good. Besides, it takes under 10 minutes to bolt everything back on for a longer ride. What a great multi purpose bike!

5-17-11SortFJRshield004.jpg

5-17-11SortFJRshield003.jpg
Harvey, Are you touring on this bike or just riding locally? If local, why not just get a FZ1 and you will have better performance, better mirrors, and no need to pretend it is a hybred.

Harvey, Are you touring on this bike or just riding locally? If local, why not just get a FZ1 and you will have better performance, better mirrors, and no need to pretend it is a hybred.

I do everything with my FJR. It is my favorite of many bikes. It's been from FL to NY, Tail of the Dragon, BRP, seen a 907 mile day, dualsport rides on seasonal roads,... That in spite of sharing the garage with a GL1800, 2 dualsports, a Ural, and a bunch of other bikes that I sold this year. It seems that this bike is usually my pick when riding solo. I like having the locking hard bags for errands and carrying my rainsuit , extra gloves, heated jacket liner, bungee net,... I also have the factory trunk if I need it. I've had enough sport bikes and find this one more comfortable and faster than many of them. Too many times I had one out and wished I had the hard bags for something. Our son and his friends do the sportbike/ backpack thing. I have no interest in that. Besides, this is faster than many of theirs and I hate chain drive - especially on powerful bikes.

Last edited by a moderator: