Putting more "Sport" into the looks of an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you add a couple detail pictures of the cuts you made on the back fender? Did you lose your toolbox space?

I like the idea but would like to try to design a quick disconnect for it to easily re-attach.
Here are the pictures that I promised a while ago. In the first picture you can see the cut about 1" behind the painted cross piece.

AveryPollockChristmas2011005.jpg

AveryPollockChristmas2011004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mushman, there is a hugger manufactured for the FJR that a bunch of folks are talking about & ordering. I'd expect that you'd benefit from something like that...assuming they do help with rain splatter. There's discussion in the "Parts & Accessories" section.

There are a number of owners who use smaller, modified windshields for local riding and switch to larger windshields for touring.

I've shortened my rear fender (cut just below the license plate) and it doesn't get my back wet. The rooster tail from wet roads tends to go straight up from the rear tire, not forward to my back. Yours is shorter so that may vary, but I doubt it. The issue is the rear tire it WILL spray road splooge into the latch/lock assembly of your top case, as it does for mine. You might want to consider making some kind of cover for that (perhaps from some of the tail piece scraps and lubricate everything with WD-40 (or a similar product) to protect it from road grime.

It does clean up the looks of the bike and since it only has to please you, c'est la vie!

A "hugger" might prevent any side-splash from wet roadways. Regardless, the inside of my bags get filthy and coated with road grime when riding in the rain. So what!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of owners who use smaller, modified windshields for local riding and switch to larger windshields for touring.

I've shortened my rear fender (cut just below the license plate) and it doesn't get my back wet. The rooster tail from wet roads tends to go straight up from the rear tire, not forward to my back. Yours is shorter so that may vary, but I doubt it. The issue is the rear tire it WILL spray road splooge into the latch/lock assembly of your top case, as it does for mine. You might want to consider making some kind of cover for that (perhaps from some of the tail piece scraps and lubricate everything with WD-40 (or a similar product) to protect it from road grime.

It does clean up the looks of the bike and since it only has to please you, c'est la vie!

A "hugger" might prevent any side-splash from wet roadways. Regardless, the inside of my bags get filthy and coated with road grime when riding in the rain. So what!
I'm with you Mike. If I want full coverage I take the GL1800. If I'm going in crap I ride the Ural Gear Up Gobi. As for huggers, I think they look very nice but are just another thing to clean. They are not going to keep anything cleaner other than the center of a swingarm, and that is negated by the cleaning of the hugger.

Now if you could just get your bars a bit lower ... clip-ons ?
I have been trying to push that rope for six years. The FJR's 48mm forks are an odd size, shared with the ThunderAce (YZF1000, slightly more sport-bikey predecessor to the FZ1) only. I have a set of clip-on clamps, but you can't be that low- you need Z-shaped bars to clear the fairing.

One guy made his own bars, same style as OEM but about two inches shorter. That's about perfect, but he's not willing to do any others. Convertibars say their setup won't fit. Helibars do risers and were never interested in lowers.

Sad thing is, it's not rocket science. The '84 Nighthawk S came with 3-way adjustable bars. If Honda could do it then, why couldn't Yamaha 20 years later?

You could always fit a set of superbike bars, easy mod to do and lowers the bars considerably.

FJRrisers003.jpg

really like the back fender look i tryed to get a fende elimator but the yamaha dealer just gave me a dummb look and said why would you do that? do you have a rear view??

Looks nice . I may copy the windscreen for summer riding here in houston tx. were its 105 lol , but the tail looks good too . However I think my stock tail will stay due to touring/weather , and wanting to keep the back as clean as I can . Also my bags stay on all the time . I have a zrx and R6 that have tail mods

Good job