question about B spec tires. (not looking to buy)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what a B spec means however if it is the correct size and load range there should be no problem. With heavier bikes load range is important. When the bike is loaded to it's max capacity and the tire is not rated for the load there is a chance the tire could exceed it's temp range and lead to a blow out.

I just recently purchased Dunlop Q2s for my 09. And now I'm hearing about B spec tires and how they are made for heavier bikes like ours. Should I be concerned about not having B spec tires on my bike? I'm a little tire challenged.Thanks for advance.

Dave
I did speak to Michelin about the B rated tire! It has more laminations than the C and is designed to resist lateral movement which would cause heat to build up. These bikes are heavy to begin with so adding yourself and a passenger with baggage you do the math. I was riding with a friend who had a rear tire delaminate exploding like a bomb "he said"! Either he hadn't checked his tire pressure or he developed a slow leak and continued to ride on an underinflated tire which overheated causing the delamination! Also Michelin said, "the front tire for the FJR wouldn't be available till Aug 19/10, and the rear "B" rated tire won't be available till Sept/10 sometime? Michelin Greenville, S.C.. Considering present availability?