Question about blue tooth headsets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
I been seeing a few sets of semas for sell locally and was considering it. I usually ride with my shoei multitech and my etomotic earphones in which do a great job of keeping out wind noise and having a decent volume with music. How well do these head sets work? Sometimes windnoise is unbearable without the earphones or plugs in. Are these worth the money for music and talking with a passenger. I hate to spend the money to findout i cant hear or still have to wear ear plugs would be better off with my earphones.

How well do these head sets work? Sometimes windnoise is unbearable without the earphones or plugs in. Are these worth the money for music and talking with a passenger. I hate to spend the money to findout i cant hear or still have to wear ear plugs would be better off with my earphones.
The devil is in the details including spelling, case, and models. First, I assume you mean Sena with an n. Skipping the Shoei Multitec and Etymotic spelling issues..what specific model? If the venerable SMH-10...then that's a great product and talked about many, Many, MANY times on this forum. Just make sure the batteries are still in good shape if used.

Using the Etymotic ear buds you'd need to make sure the part that attaches to the helmet is the right one (they make 4 different flavors for about $30 new each).

The newer Sena 20S has some nice updates if you're into the more advanced connectivity scenarios with multiple Bluetooth devices. Again, a product that has been talked about at least "many" times on the forum.

The one i was looking at was a smh-10 and it has the 3.5mm plug. So i wan use my etomotics with this instead of the speakers?

How well do these head sets work? Sometimes windnoise is unbearable without the earphones or plugs in. Are these worth the money for music and talking with a passenger. I hate to spend the money to findout i cant hear or still have to wear ear plugs would be better off with my earphones.
The devil is in the details including spelling, case, and models. First, I assume you mean Sena with an n. Skipping the Shoei Multitec and Etymotic spelling issues..what specific model? If the venerable SMH-10...then that's a great product and talked about many, Many, MANY times on this forum. Just make sure the batteries are still in good shape if used.

Using the Etymotic ear buds you'd need to make sure the part that attaches to the helmet is the right one (they make 4 different flavors for about $30 new each).

The newer Sena 20S has some nice updates if you're into the more advanced connectivity scenarios with multiple Bluetooth devices. Again, a product that has been talked about at least "many" times on the forum.
Excuse my grammer professor.... A cigar and 2 glasses of scotch can make anyone mispell a few words. My horrible grammer aside, it is a sena smh-10 headset I am looking at.

I just received a Sena 10U for my C3 helmet. This will be my third Sena and I have been very happy with all three. I sold my first SHM10 to a friend who still rides with it. The one that I am taking off my helmet will go on my wife's and the 10U will be my go to unit. I use custome earplugs with speakers and do not have an issue with calls, GPS directions and rider to rider communications. Some music on my iPhone can be hard to hear. Part of that is do to hearing problems on my end. I went to the 10U to get ride of the unit hanging from the side of my helmet to cut wind noise. First ride is tomorrow. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Thanks silver. Did you have to get the adapter for your ears buds? I admit i havent done much research on these yet.

it is a sena smh-10 headset I am looking at.
Thanks for the useful part that will help people help you.
ok.gif

I just received a Sena 10U for my C3 helmet. This will be my third Sena and I have been very happy with all three. I sold my first SHM10 to a friend who still rides with it. The one that I am taking off my helmet will go on my wife's and the 10U will be my go to unit. I use custome earplugs with speakers and do not have an issue with calls, GPS directions and rider to rider communications. Some music on my iPhone can be hard to hear. Part of that is do to hearing problems on my end. I went to the 10U to get ride of the unit hanging from the side of my helmet to cut wind noise. First ride is tomorrow. I don't think you can go wrong with one.
I look forward to hear of your result. How was the installation? More snugness?

I look forward to hear of your result. How was the installation? More snugness?
The install was very simple. Sena has a good video for each helmet. Remote was already linked to the headset when I turned it on. Once installed I linked my cell and GPS with no issues. For me I cannot tell any difference in the fit of the helmet after it was installed.

i still use ear plugs with my Sena. It is still loud enough to hear the music, GPS, intercom, phone.

When I bought my SMH-10, it was in a pair package that my brother and I split. We ordered the earbud bases with them. My earbud bade did not work, and we were leaving to Cruso NC the next day.

I called my guy and he took a new earbud base to the camp meet with him. I installed the speakers and rode to NC using speakers and ear plugs. Once we got there, I got the new base and my earbuds worked just fine.

From that experience, I can tell you: the speakers and ear plugs suck donkey balls. The earbuds are great. I have a set of Etymotic M5s, and they sound good. Still have to get used to them sitting so far in my ear.

When I bought my SMH-10, it was in a pair package that my brother and I split. We ordered the earbud bases with them. My earbud bade did not work, and we were leaving to Cruso NC the next day.I called my guy and he took a new earbud base to the camp meet with him. I installed the speakers and rode to NC using speakers and ear plugs. Once we got there, I got the new base and my earbuds worked just fine.

From that experience, I can tell you: the speakers and ear plugs suck donkey balls. The earbuds are great. I have a set of Etymotic M5s, and they sound good. Still have to get used to them sitting so far in my ear.
I did use ear buds at one time however I never got the noise reduction I was looking for. I manage power plants for a living and hearing protection is critical for maintain your hearing long term. Because of this we offer employees the opertunity to try different forms of protection and we have equipment to measure the quality. For myself I have not found any form of protection that gives me the reduction I want other then custom made. This is after trying and measuring the amount of reduction on a large number of devices. Because I already have hearing loss, protection is more important then sound quality.

I use the Sena 10 with my Custom challenger earplugs with speakers. Most of the time I can hear the Sena speakers just fine (I turn down or pause the earplug volume) when using the Sena for bluetooth phone calls or talking to my wife on her Sena. I prefer the high fidelity of in ear speakers for rocking out while getting the benefit of earplugs while riding.

I recently purchased plugfones for my rides. The sound is great and the noise reduction is rated at 25dB. The quality of sound is great and the wind noise is greatly reduced.

If you want to retain your hearing, plugs or phones with noise block properties are a must at highway speed (with the stock placebo windshield, even they may not reduce wind noise sufficiently, regardless of the helmet worn). I use Shure 215K monitors. They do a very good job of blocking wind noise, sound great, and in spite of the noise reduction and audio, I can hear a prius in the next lane.

If you want to retain your hearing, plugs or phones with noise block properties are a must at highway speed (with the stock placebo windshield, even they may not reduce wind noise sufficiently, regardless of the helmet worn). I use Shure 215K monitors. They do a very good job of blocking wind noise, sound great, and in spite of the noise reduction and audio, I can hear a prius in the next lane.
I'm assuming you really like you're Sures? I have a set of Etymotic M5s, and they're kind of 'tinny.' My Sony buds sound vetter, but don't block noise as well. Thinking of trying the Sure buds.