question about cool down after ride in heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure but I would guess no. My bike usually runs at 3 or 4 bars on the heat guage. When I idle, it goes up very quick, a 1 minute light can raise it to 6 or 7 bars. As soon as I pull away it goes right back down. For this reason, I've been AVOIDING letting idle before I shut down. It just seems to me that its at its coolest when I first come to a stop.

6 or 7 bars? You need to check your fan and your radiator. My bike has never gone higher than 5.

6 or 7 bars? You need to check your fan and your radiator. My bike has never gone higher than 5.
No he doesn't.

6 or 7 bars is well within the range of efficient and effective cooling. No need to be concerned unless it hits 9 or 10 bars...or pops the cap. The cooling system is effective until at least 230 degrees.

if I need to let the FJR idle before turning the engine off after riding in the heat of the day.
Nope. Just shut it off and it will cool down just fine.

Here are tips from others that may apply. You may have something in cooling it down after a hard ride:

Turbo Diesel Cool Down Discussion

Mattituck Hints

I had a turbo Saab that I often got the turbo to look like the CAT in the link above. Red/orange hot after driving across I-10 in Louisana in August at 80+MPH. I always let it cool down for at least 3 minutes after a run like that and the turbo lasted 240,000+ miles before I sold it. Car mag guys have often mentioned that turbos are wear items like brakes and tires and should be expected to be replaced at 110,000 miles or so, which is B.S.

Your FJR isn't turbo'ed so don't worry about it. Like I mentioned before, for track days give it a cool down lap to let the exhaust valves cool off then shut it down.

Moldman,

I find that if the FJR is hot enought for the fan to come on then it will pump enought coolant through the radiator to help cool the engine. My only real grip with the FJR has been the engine heat issue (2005). I live in Texas where it is HOT. When I pull into my garage after a ride, the FJR heat gauge is usually on 3 bars. After I pull into my garage and turn the bike off the heat will build and sometimes I get the bubble sound in the gas tank. If I turn the key on the temp gauge will have jumped to 4 or 5 bars. I can start the bike, and the fan will come on, which it does at 4 bars, and if I let it idle a few minutes the gauge will go to 3 bars and the fan will stop. I will then turn the bike back off. In the heat of summer this takes 2 or 3 cycles. I finally put a small fan in front of the radiator to blow some air through the radiator and this shortened the cycle.

Yes, I use water wetter. My mechanic says this is not a problem. I do it anyway.

So if the temp is high enought for the fan to come on then I believe you will get some cooling effect.

Bob

In my particular situation I'm rolling 45-60 mph about .2 mile from my house so I just turn the key off on all my Bikes and coast to the Driveway, turn in and roll to the Garage door or under a tree. Gotta help a little bit. Plus, I'm saving .2 on the odometer. :rolleyes: And I honestly I didn't know the Bike HAD 9 Bars! I've only seen 4 on rare occasions. Don't ride in traffic much! Spoils my fun!

Hey, mike......ease up....at least he's parking next to a tree. Betcha the bin-o-facts don't yap aboot that.

Another observation. On Monday the temp here was 60 degrees ambient and the bike was at 3 to 4 bars. When I would hit a red light it goes up to 6 bars and of coarse it goes back down when I leave the light. But it's never below 3-4 bars. I did check to coolant level and it's correct. Many of you guys are saying you rarely see this high temp????

Last edited by a moderator:
When I would hit a red light it goes up to 6 bars and of coarse it goes back down when I leave the light. But it's never below 3-4 bars. I did check to coolant level and it's correct. Many of you guys are saying you rarely see this high temp????
It's not a "high" temp. 6 bars on a Gen II is in the 175 to 190 degree range and totally fine. Don't presume that because not everybody reads the same that yours is abnormal or something.

There seems this weird compunction by some to try and equate low bars with some sort of superior performance...when it could be as simply explained as variation in temperature sender units accuracy and/or thermostat wax plug operating accuracy or rider psychological effect

I say it again. Yours is operating in the normal temperature range.

If you want something to worry about...try and figure out that tick-tick noise coming from your #1 cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford Motor Co went through similar machinations years ago -- customers were complaining to dealers that their Fords had problems according to the numbers on the dash's gauges.

Ford's resolution was to make all the dash info/warning gauges read "normal" for most of their sweep -- with "low" and "high" warnings at the extreme ends.

Solved the problem....unless, you actually want to know sumptin'? :(

Ford Motor Co went through similar machinations years ago -- customers were complaining to dealers that their Fords had problems according to the numbers on the dash's gauges.Ford's resolution was to make all the dash info/warning gauges read "normal" for most of their sweep -- with "low" and "high" warnings at the extreme ends.

Solved the problem....unless, you actually want to know sumptin'? :(
On my 2000 F350, they went one "better." The analog charging indicator is actually an idiot light. It always shows normal until charge voltage is out of tolerance and then it goes to the red zone.

Damn, I just re-read the thread title, and we're all way off track here.

When I need to cool down after riding while she's in heat, I just turn the ceiling fan way fast.