Question about Zumo and SD cards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Hoss

Reaction score
Recently got a Zumo 550. Wondering about MP3s. It is apparently preloaded with a few MP3s. Can't find in specs how much internal memory this rig has.

Is there enough internal memory to record more music?

Is the SD card for music only or will it have to share mapping info if I add some later?

I see that you can record MP3s with varying kbps, more = better sound quality and less music on a given card. Is 192kbps about standard or average? Is a 2GB SD card adequate, Is a 4GB card necessary? What kbps rate do you record to get "decent" sound on a motorcycle?

How much playing time can I get on one 2GB card and at what kpbs level?

Much Appreciated,

Charlie

I don't have a Zumo so I can't answer your question, but if you're looking for an SD card, look here and you'll find a 1G card for free after a $30 rebate. Free shipping too.

You will be hard-pressed to hear differences between 128k and 192k data rates in helmet speakers, especially at speed. I do find that 192k annoys me a tiny bit less at high volume levels than the 128k.

I can squeeze about eight(8) hours of 192k rate music onto a 1GB module.

you can count on about 1mb per min of song at 128kbs mp3 which is perfectly acceptable for moto travel.

here is the wiki with more info than you can stand.

Zumo 550 has 100mb for about 30 (3min) songs...4gb card not a bad idea

if you dont have music software yet, you can use itunes from apple for free(pc or mac) and download you cd's to mp3....just dont buy any music from them, they only work on ipods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evidently I have some significant hearing damage. I can record at the lowest quality level and it sounds just fine to me while riding. Currently, my 1gig has over 100 songs and there's still room.

Try some different quality levels and just see how good your hearing is.

i have a garmin ique, i know that's not what you asked about, but i can mix my music and maps on the same card. they just go in different folders on the card.

Evidently I have some significant hearing damage. I can record at the lowest quality level and it sounds just fine to me while riding. Currently, my 1gig has over 100 songs and there's still room.Try some different quality levels and just see how good your hearing is.
2gig will hold 500 songs! that's a long road trip ! :D

Is there enough internal memory to record more music?
Out of the box there's a little less than 200MB free on the Zumo (or at least there was on mine), so you can put some tunes on there if you want, but I left that space for other stuff (POIs, maps, routes, pictures for startup-banners, etc)

Is the SD card for music only or will it have to share mapping info if I add some later?
You can mix and match on it. The Zumo is good about picking up MP3s no matter where you place them. You may notice that after the unit boots, it takes a bit before the MP3 player is online and ready to go (even after the maps are loaded, etc). It hunts down the MP3 files and adds them to the library for play.

I see that you can record MP3s with varying kbps, more = better sound quality and less music on a given card. Is 192kbps about standard or average? Is a 2GB SD card adequate, Is a 4GB card necessary? What kbps rate do you record to get "decent" sound on a motorcycle?
Yes, higher is better, but given the noisy riding environment, I can't tell any difference even with noise-isolating earbuds while riding. Some of the bike's vibrations still make their way into your body/helmet/skull and cause a greater impact on the sound quality than 128 vs 192 IMHO. I've got stuff from 112kbps to 320kbps on my Zumo and I can't tell a LOT of difference in any of it, although some of the 112kbps stuff you can kinda tell.

As for cards, I use a 2GB and I think it's adequate. I've got 222 tracks on there now totalling about 4.5hrs of music, but as I said, I've got a lot of 192-320kbps files on there which eat a lot of space. I just haven't taking the time to downsample them for the Zumo.

Technically 2GB is the largest SD card the Zumo supports according to Garmin's site. But there have been folks successful getting some 4GB cards to work. Initial reports were spotty, but in the end, I think the answer seems to be 4GB non-SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards will work. There are still some non-SDHC 4GB cards out there. NOTE - I haven't tried a 4GB card though, it's just what I've read from a lot of reviews/posts.

As another side-note, has anyone else noticed that the MP3 shufflling on the zumo seems to repeat itself a lot (even with the repeat option turned off)?