Question for Fuel Cell Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I was wondering if the members who have a fuel cell l;eave it on 100% of the time, or only add the fuel cell when they are going for really long rides.

Just curious.

I leave it on pretty much now...unless somebody comes along that is "cell removal worthy". Olivia Wilde from the new Tron....I'd have the cell off in two minutes flat. Hot stranger that wants to go fast on the pretty blue bike......maybe 5 minutes. Marginal chick wanting to ride across town.....cell stays on and I come up with some excuse about my fuel coupler being broken or a rally being next week.

Mine comes off. Only on for rallys or a big IBA ride. Same for most of the other 'LD' stuff. What I would really like to have is a 2nd FJR that would be my 'LD' designated bike and have the stuff on all the time.

Mine comes off. Only on for rallys or a big IBA ride. Same for most of the other 'LD' stuff. What I would really like to have is a 2nd FJR that would be my 'LD' designated bike and have the stuff on all the time.
+1 on wishing I had a second FJR...(one specifically setup for LD riding). One of the reasons I purchased a Tail Dragger style tank was the advantage of be able to leave it on when my wife wanted to go for a quick ride. Unfortunately, other farkles, like my hydration system are now in the way...

I was wondering if the members who have a fuel cell l;eave it on 100% of the time, or only add the fuel cell when they are going for really long rides.
Tim, You should ask people who own the same tank as you do.

If your tank looks like this:

brick.jpg

You probably take it off unless you need it.

If your tank looks like this:

3613390503_3bfac7ca7d_z.jpg

You probably leave it on.

Aside from doing maitenance, I always leave my tank on....My bike is a basically a designated LD bike. No one rides with me and I have the VFR for messing around.

Corey

Fuel Cell on 100 percent of the time.

Good to see you posting, Corey.

Glad to hear you are still messing around with your VFR, Corey. I rode mine to work today, and have taken it up to the mountains a few times. Sure seems small, light and nimble after the big but comfortable FJR.

On all the time - unless Ms dCarver is jonesing for a ride on the fast bike.

It's just too convenient not having to stop for fuel even when just commutting.

..and who knows when that itch to ride long need be scratched?

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to see after I install the TAT if I want to keep it on, but with a 160+ mile commute to and from work every day, I would be able to cut the gas stops to every other day, instead of every day, so that would be a bonus.

Wish I was one of the TAT owners in the IBR, but no such luck.

I went with a Sampson taildragger tank which I can leave on all the time.... I do have to remove my hydration systems attached to each passenger peg before I can take my wife for a ride.

I would have definitely purchased Joe's tank if it had been available in late 2009. Love the design, and ease of installation! I probably would leave Joes's tank on all the time as I like to take LD rides usually at the "last minute" depending on my work schedule.

I leave my Tanji cell on all the time. Even though it's real easy to remove I rarely carry a passenger so don't bother.

dougc