Question for Skyway Hydration System Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I will be purchasing a Skyway Hydration system sometime before the season start for us here in the Midwest, since I didn't get one for X-Mas.

I am wondering what current owners of Skyways Hydration system do. Do you leave it on all of the time, or do you take it on and off for short vs long rides? How hard is it to take on and off?

I'm not sure if I would want it on the bike when I am commuting around the Chicago area.

I will be purchasing a Skyway Hydration system sometime before the season start for us here in the Midwest, since I didn't get one for X-Mas.
I am wondering what current owners of Skyways Hydration system do. Do you leave it on all of the time, or do you take it on and off for short vs long rides? How hard is it to take on and off?

I'm not sure if I would want it stolen/damaged when I am commuting around the Chicago area.

Fixed

And no, I don't leave it on unless it's in my sightline,just like the tankbag. Also, it stays off for short rides. It's not that hard on/off w/ some practice.

My hydration system goes on for long rides...wife won't go on those. It stays off for short (day) rides and when passenger is on board. It's off the majority of the time and I just stash a bottle of water or two in the trunk/saddlebag.

It's not difficult to put on/take off w/ a little bit of practice.

I use mine exclusively for my IBA rides. Any shorter ride I keep some bottled water available in my seat-sack or tank bag.

I leave mine on, w/o the hose in place. It doubles as a place to put my commuter mug (inside the thermo jug), so I have a nice, hot cup of good coffee when I get to work.

I bought a second one, for the right side, that will serve as a food grab, once I find the right-sized piece of pipe to stiffen up the sides of the bag. Sometimes I get hungry during the 20 minute ride to work.
wink.gif

Mine only goes on for multi-day rides in the summer. Otherwise, if I need to hydrate, every 225 miles is sufficient for me.

- Joe Camel

Well I would love to tell you how mine works but I can't.

Ordered it the same time as I ordered my fuel cell..... and we all know where that is at :(

I leave mine on all the time, for a short ride I just remove the insulated cover and water jug. I seldom go on short rides so it is on most of the time. In the summer I try to take a 10 day to 2 week trip each month so when I am home I usually have honey do's to take care of and then work on the bike for the next trip.

Mac

I purchased another footpeg and can change them out quickly because of instead of using the regular bolt I use a PIP pin. I didn't like the look without something there and the footpeg acts as a dampener because at certain rpm's the main footpeg would buzz. Mine has been installed on the left side.

And like I said it is just for looks and dampening as I never ride 2 up.

Well I would love to tell you how mine works but I can't.
Ordered it the same time as I ordered my fuel cell..... and we all know where that is at :(

That's exactly why I haven't ordered mine. Been waiting for some positive news from the Skyway waiting crowd. Back on track, I plan to use it for multiple day rides this summer.......if they are available.

I remove my system when it's not being used. It's very easy on-off. The biggest time consumer for me is routing the hose onto/off the bike. When I take everything off, I only replace the rubber on the footrest if I plan to ride w/ pillion. Otherwise, the rest is folded up and not very noticeable anyway.

BTW, this thing works great. A wonderful farkle, it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave mine on, w/o the hose in place. It doubles as a place to put my commuter mug (inside the thermo jug), so I have a nice, hot cup of good coffee when I get to work.
I bought a second one, for the right side, that will serve as a food grab, once I find the right-sized piece of pipe to stiffen up the sides of the bag. Sometimes I get hungry during the 20 minute ride to work.
wink.gif
Y'know, Bob, some people use the second one as a "cooler". They spend the exorbitant $4.50 and purchase a 2nd 2-qt. cooler. ;)

Y'know, Bob, some people use the second one as a "cooler". They spend the exorbitant $4.50 and purchase a 2nd 2-qt. cooler. ;)
I keep my second cooler, w/o lid drilled, loaded with ice & drink solution in a side pod. Simple swap while fueling, and I get an easy place to grab energy bars from on the right side. :yahoo:

I keep my second cooler, w/o lid drilled, loaded with ice & drink solution in a side pod. Simple swap while fueling, and I get an easy place to grab energy bars from on the right side. :yahoo:
I thought you were one who did that! There are several of the Iron Butt riders who do the same thing.

I thought you were one who did that! There are several of the Iron Butt riders who do the same thing.
It must be some kinda Zen thing....

Top 3

Google

Results