Question Muzzy vrs Holeshot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kromm

Reaction score
I am trying to decide which exhaust to get. I hear good things about both of these. What are the pro's and cons about them? Does any one have a sound byte that they can upload so I can hear what the both sound like? I know the Holeshot costs a lot more. I also will be adding a PCIII to my "08 at the same time.

I am from the old school that believes that you can't have too much power......... :D My last bike was a Vmax, that had a hard time keeping the front tire on the ground.

I am trying to decide which exhaust to get. I hear good things about both of these. What are the pro's and cons about them? Does any one have a sound byte that they can upload so I can hear what the both sound like? I know the Holeshot costs a lot more. I also will be adding a PCIII to my "08 at the same time.
I am from the old school that believes that you can't have too much power......... :D My last bike was a Vmax, that had a hard time keeping the front tire on the ground.

I had the Muzzy slipons and the PC3. The minor hp gain was not worth listening to the noise. There are some using the header with stock cans and seem to be happy. :)

If you are thinking aboiut replacing the whole system, including header pipe, then the Muzzy and Holeshot are very different.

Muzzy is a 4-2-1 - it has only one muffler which comes out on the right side. ( This is what I have.)

Holeshot is a 4-2 and has two mufflers which leaves you looking like stock. You can use the stock mufflers if you leave the gaskets off.

Holeshot is a coated system which will run a little cooler and probably last longer then the Muzzy. Muzzy is bare stainless inside and out.

The full Muzzy system costs a lot less than the Holeshot.

Both are pretty loud. I think the Muzzy is a little quieter, but that's just my ears after hearing both. For my Muzzy, I repacked the muffler and was able to quiet it down to where it is reasonable. Still much louder than stock. For the Holeshot, you can get just their header and use the stock mufflers for that stealthy sound. Your choice.

I can't really say I notice more power. I run the Muzzy system and an oil/foam air filter with the stock ECU, no PCIII and no Barbarian mod. The system is considerably lighter than stock and it doesn't send that heat up at me when I'm in traffic that the stock header, with the catalytic converter, did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holeshot is a coated system which will run a little cooler and probably last longer then the Muzzy. Muzzy is bare stainless inside and out.
The Holeshot headers are no longer ceramic coated. They're now 304 polished stainless steel. I had the older coated system in my '03; I now have the new stainless system on my '06. The coated system was only a little cooler than the stainless; the difference was pretty insignificant. In both cases, using Dale Walker's custom PCIII maps, the HP gain was fairly small. I would agree with Geezer that you do have more flexibility with the Holeshot system in terms of sound: you can run stock cans, you can run Holeshot cans with removable DB Killers (which gives you two sound options), and you can also run other aftermarket cans.

I'm a big fan of the Holeshot system. I like the stock look of the dual mufflers. The quality is exceptional and I love the look and sound, especially with the new DB Killers installed. If you're looking for HP gains through the addition of either system, forget it. Even with the less expensive Muzzy system, the few ponies you'll gain are nowhere near worth the price. The sound, however, is a different story ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts