questions 06 FJR A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
First off I want to thank all of you who have given your first hand impressions of the FJR and I am sold (well, almost)

Questions:

1. Riding position and handle-bar reach, etc. I am 6', and prefer an almost upright riding. Do you find stock setup comfortable or did you end up with risers and aft adjust for the handlebars? If so, who makes a good one that has most adjustments?

2. Windshild height. Do you find it adequate at hiway speeds? i.e., does the top line up with your nose / eyes (assuming you are around 6')? If there are aftermarket ones, do they work with the stock electric mechanism?

3. Do you find it top heavy at all with tank full? I hate that feeling on a bike.

4. Is it flickable like a 500/600cc? I know that's much to ask of a 1300cc ... or is it?

Finally, can someone definitely confirm that the heat issue with previous year models has really been fixed?

The reason I ask these stupid questions (you may say) is because I have not yet seen a 06 in person! I need to decide soon to buy from potentially far away places - sight unseen :-(

Gambler I am not, but my blood pumps faster on a fast tourer :clapping:

Look to your responses!

sradrek,

i'm 5'10" and the bike is awesome as far as sitting position, my pal who is 6'5" tried it out (I bought his Concours a year ago and sold it) loved it and thought that he needed one too> To bad his hip is so screwed up!

The windscreen is absolutely adequate as far as I am concerned. I like it alot and know that if you do change it that it will adjust the same as original...

It may be a bit top heavy but no where near alot of bikes I have ridden, the tank when full doesn't make any considerable difference, this bike is awesome

500, 600 compared to a 1300? Oh my gosh you must be shitting me! This bike screams and handles like a dream, just don't give her too much wrist or you will be on one wheel quicker than you can say, oh Shit!

The heat issue, what heat? I have ridden this beauty in 103 degree weather and I didn't find it to be uncomfortable whatsoever. Don't forget you are riding and 140+ hp motor!

Blood pumping? Not a problem, your heart will race and you will be in love :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Don't know where you live but I'll betch someone on this board is close to you and would be willing to let you take a look-see, maybe even let you touch theirs...

You seriously need to forget about your worrys about this scoot and just "do it" you won't be sorry.

Good luck and ride safe :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

First off I want to thank all of you who have given your first hand impressions of the FJR and I am sold (well, almost)
Questions:

1. Riding position and handle-bar reach, etc. I am 6', and prefer an almost upright riding. Do you find stock setup comfortable or did you end up with risers and aft adjust for the handlebars? If so, who makes a good one that has most adjustments?

2. Windshild height. Do you find it adequate at hiway speeds? i.e., does the top line up with your nose / eyes (assuming you are around 6')? If there are aftermarket ones, do they work with the stock electric mechanism?

3. Do you find it top heavy at all with tank full? I hate that feeling on a bike.

4. Is it flickable like a 500/600cc? I know that's much to ask of a 1300cc ... or is it?

Finally, can someone definitely confirm that the heat issue with previous year models has really been fixed?

The reason I ask these stupid questions (you may say) is because I have not yet seen a 06 in person! I need to decide soon to buy from potentially far away places - sight unseen :-(

Look to your responses!
1) I am 5'7", I have to lean a bit forward. It is not a totally upright riding position for me, but it is not uncomfortable. I will get the risers when they come out (they are out but have been recalled, dont know the stat on them as of yet).

2) I have the windshield all the way down all the time, I find that raising it makes it hotter for me. Seems that will be an advantage in the cooler temps.

3) No

4) It's flickable, but I haven't ridden a 600 for years, never haver ridden a sport bike before this one.

There is heat that comes off the bike, as there is in all bikes but it is not an issue with me. From what I have heard, yammy fixed the ultra hot issue that plagued the models 05 and before.

This is an awesome bike, the more you ride it the more you will want to ride it more.

Mike

sradrek,i'm 5'10" and the bike is awesome as far as sitting position, my pal who is 6'5" tried it out (I bought his Concours a year ago and sold it) loved it and thought that he needed one too> To bad his hip is so screwed up!

The windscreen is absolutely adequate as far as I am concerned. I like it alot and know that if you do change it that it will adjust the same as original...

It may be a bit top heavy but no where near alot of bikes I have ridden, the tank when full doesn't make any considerable difference, this bike is awesome

500, 600 compared to a 1300? Oh my gosh you must be shitting me! This bike screams and handles like a dream, just don't give her too much wrist or you will be on one wheel quicker than you can say, oh Shit!

The heat issue, what heat? I have ridden this beauty in 103 degree weather and I didn't find it to be uncomfortable whatsoever. Don't forget you are riding and 140+ hp motor!

Blood pumping? Not a problem, your heart will race and you will be in love :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Don't know where you live but I'll betch someone on this board is close to you and would be willing to let you take a look-see, maybe even let you touch theirs...

You seriously need to forget about your worrys about this scoot and just "do it" you won't be sorry.

Good luck and ride safe :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Good to hear reach is good.

I will have to test ride to see if it's top heavy. I hope not.

No heat issue at 103 degrees? What year is your bike? A lot of people have posted here about excessive heat on legs! I understand it's a big motor, but heat deflection needs to be managed, else it's uncomfortable LD

No, I am not shitting you about 500/600 flickability. That's why I haven't had a larger engine as yet. Well, I bought a v-max recently but that's another story ...

Cheers

I'm 6'3"and have a few ergonomic problems:

windshield must be 4" longer, I use the CalSci extra tall to keep me from becoming fatigued by the wind on longer rides. It is now tall enough, but the angle is bad because the mechanism pushes the shield more vertical at the topmost position.

My reach is long, but not long enough to sit rearward in the seat in an upright position. I have to sit with my crotch at the tank and slightly leaned forward onto my wrists to grasp the bar properly in my hands. To sit comfortably upright I use one of those wrist rests for the throttle hand grip and when I am comfortable the handgrips are under the 2nd finger joints, not in my palm where I want them.

I have to ride with the seat at its low position because of the above

None of these are show stoppers! I will find a way to adjust the windshield. I will wait until affordable farkles to bring the bars rearward become available. I will modify my seat. I'm adding heated grips, and putting on a cruise control unit today.

This bike is a redesign and with all of the newly designed vehicles i've owned I've learned to expect bugs. Learning to accept this has allowed me to enjoy very special vehicles that I wouldn't have had the pleasure to experience if I ran away because of the little bugs.

Once you get your suspension adjusted properly you will not believe that a bike so large and heavy can do what it can do. It handles better than my 1200 bandit and lets me ride forever. I like it so much that I haven't driven my car in nearly a month.

People here like to bitch, and that's fine. But make your own decision. If you've studied the specs, know the prices, and want a reliable drivetrain then you can stop looking for what to buy and JUST GET THE FJR!!!!

PS: I was next to a gsxr1300 that had a "large" pilot. As we reached the end of the on-ramp he rolled on full and I did the same. He never pulled away. All I could think was how humiliated he must feel to be so weak against a big bike with saddle bags, trunk, and rider sitting upright.

I'll answer the 'flickability' for you, but being short, the taller dudes are better references for ergonomics.

So yesterday I took the MSF Experienced Rider course. At first I thought it was going to be very hard to control the FJR the way they wanted me to, but after a few minutes of low speed maneuvers I was doing the cone weaves pretty well. By the end of the day I was amazed at how maneuverable this bike really is. The bike, so far, has more ability than I do!

To compare it to a 600 is hard to do, but I'd not even begin to call this bike a pig. It's a sport bike in a nice, behaved disguised.

Speaking of looks, there were two Honday ST1300's there and my FJR. I was bagless, and of course they didn't dare take their's off. I had so many people walking up and checking out my FJR it was funny. Talk about an ego boost. My God she looks good without the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions:

Look to your responses!
I always get a kick when someone asks a question about a bike being top heavy because of a large gas tank. Gas only weighs 6 lbs. per gallon but if it bothers you don't fill the tank full . :p

I always get a kick when someone asks a question about a bike being top heavy because of a large gas tank. Gas only weighs 6 lbs. per gallon but if it bothers you don't fill the tank full . :p
And get stranded :eek: ? I didn't say that full tank of gas will make it top heavy (by itself), but it will contribute if the bike is top heavy (dry). Just yesterday I test rode a BMW K1200GT and found it top heavy (without full tank) - so a no go.

Thanks all for your replies!

I'm 6'3"and have a few ergonomic problems:
windshield must be 4" longer, I use the CalSci extra tall to keep me from becoming fatigued by the wind on longer rides. It is now tall enough, but the angle is bad because the mechanism pushes the shield more vertical at the topmost position.

My reach is long, but not long enough to sit rearward in the seat in an upright position. I have to sit with my crotch at the tank and slightly leaned forward onto my wrists to grasp the bar properly in my hands. To sit comfortably upright I use one of those wrist rests for the throttle hand grip and when I am comfortable the handgrips are under the 2nd finger joints, not in my palm where I want them.

I have to ride with the seat at its low position because of the above

None of these are show stoppers! I will find a way to adjust the windshield. I will wait until affordable farkles to bring the bars rearward become available. I will modify my seat. I'm adding heated grips, and putting on a cruise control unit today.

This bike is a redesign and with all of the newly designed vehicles i've owned I've learned to expect bugs. Learning to accept this has allowed me to enjoy very special vehicles that I wouldn't have had the pleasure to experience if I ran away because of the little bugs.

Once you get your suspension adjusted properly you will not believe that a bike so large and heavy can do what it can do. It handles better than my 1200 bandit and lets me ride forever. I like it so much that I haven't driven my car in nearly a month.

People here like to bitch, and that's fine. But make your own decision. If you've studied the specs, know the prices, and want a reliable drivetrain then you can stop looking for what to buy and JUST GET THE FJR!!!!

PS: I was next to a gsxr1300 that had a "large" pilot. As we reached the end of the on-ramp he rolled on full and I did the same. He never pulled away. All I could think was how humiliated he must feel to be so weak against a big bike with saddle bags, trunk, and rider sitting upright.
Hey c2insa, I also have an '06 FJR, about 3 wks now. I really like it all except for the STIFF throttle. Hope to address that someday. But b/4 the FJR, I had an '06 Busa. I sold it with 3k miles because the riding position was NG for my back and neck problems. However, when talking about POWER, believe me the Busa will blow the side covers off of an FJ. That guy you hit it with did not open it up. Honest, Busa power is absolutely incredible. If you look at some Busa video's that show the speedo/tach under power, you would tend to think that the movement of the speedo needle has been doctored for the video. But it is real!

My friend took his Busa to the drags and turned 10.2/139 - this was his first time ever at the drags. Oh yeah, stock.

Sorry I got off the FJ thingy.

Bob

Questions:

Look to your responses!

Questions:

Look to your responses!
I"m 6.0, 34" inseam these are my takes after 5500 miles;Bar set up is to far forward for me. The stock adjustment is a joke, previous year set up was much easier to fix. I've been waiting for all the risers/set back's to come out to make my choice. So far Heli may have the best set up for me. I'm just waiting for somebody to test them.

Stock windsheild sucked, way to much "Dirty Air" for me. I went with 4" by 4" Cee Bailey. Pretty good results. Here in the northeast it gets cool in the evening and all the way up is really nice, while down is fine for those scorchers.

Bike is not top heavy at all, even with tank bag and full fuel load. It never feels like it will flop.

Real easy to transition but I wouldn't say flickable.

NO HEAT ISSUES, IT'S FIXED.

With all that said I think it is a great bike. Those coming from a more touring bike may agree with me more than those from a sport bike. The bike is more sport than tour, but it's great platform to do both. There are many guys/gals racking up serious miles on them with little or no mods. One thing we would all agree on, 125 pony's at the rear wheel makes this bike rock.

SRADEK, you asked the very same questions that I would ask. PF-Flyer, thanks for your response. Your measurements are the same as mine so your insights are quite valuable and about what I would have thought.

Questions:1. Riding position and handle-bar reach, etc. I am 6', and prefer an almost upright riding. Do you find stock setup comfortable or did you end up with risers and aft adjust for the handlebars? If so, who makes a good one that has most adjustments?
I'm 6' too but only have a 30" inseam, the bulk of my height if it were is up top. I prefer the seat in the upper position, which means I cannot flat foot the FJR. I have the stock bars in the stock center position and am fine with that. I prefer the seat higher so that I get more 'air' with the shield in the down position. It's not a heat issue it's just what I want. I want the windshield to be shorter (about 2-3 inches shorter when down) and maybe 1 inch taller when up ;)

A LOT of this depends on the person, and your tastes. While I'd like a little taller windshield when it's up, sure. If I wanted total coverage, I'd have bought a Gold Wing for a convertible. As for sight, it's not an issue, even if the shield was +4 inches taller. The only reason I haven't gone taller is what it would take away in the down position. Coming from a fixed windshield bike, I'm in heaven as it is.

No, not like other bikes I've been on really and the way I'm sitting I can't flat foot it and I'm OK with that.

A, no, it's not a short wheelbase 350-400 lb bike. But it handles pretty damn well.

Heat is fixed, no roasted chestnuts. Just don't touch the frame that baby is hot.

That blows, it handles like a ZX-11, or blackbird, or simmilar longer wheel based GT bikes, but not like a sport bike. Honestly, I don't feel a difference bettween full and half full at low speed with this bike. Not like say a ZX-11, those are very top heavy at low speed.

The ergos are upright, though a lot of people still want bar backs to be even more upright. That depends mostly on your reach.

All great responses for sure.

Here's my take (Duh, without a test ride yet! Drat)

As I said, I am almost 6'. Torso and legs are proportionate (with me so far!? no one is "normal'!)

I think the stock setup would work fine for me.

Worst case, I would buy handlebar risers w/ aft adjustments.

As to flickability, I may be asking too much from a 1300cc bike anyway. I will have to buy another smaller bike for that!

For those who haven't followed my threads ...

I recently bought a V-MAX that I fell in love with almost 15 years ago, but couldn't afford. I went to a dealer and saw it again and bought it on a whim the same weekend. Yamaha hasn't made any fundamental improvements to the bike all these years! (Drat) I feel stupid now for not doing any research, so don't rub it in. I love the bike's motor, but I would have to spend at least 2-3K before I find it stable to my liking. Farkles is not an issue, but the bike handles terrible on hiways and I hate to ride a bike I can't trust. I am not in the mood to spend more money now. So there I said it. A big mistake with a $2500 loss to sell now :-(

Anyway, life goes on. learn as you go. It's only money as my wife says. She is a good kid :) I can afford now, so why not splurge?

I think FJR is the one!

All great responses for sure.
Here's my take (Duh, without a test ride yet! Drat)

As I said, I am almost 6'. Torso and legs are proportionate (with me so far!? no one is "normal'!)

I think the stock setup would work fine for me.

Worst case, I would buy handlebar risers w/ aft adjustments.

As to flickability, I may be asking too much from a 1300cc bike anyway. I will have to buy another smaller bike for that!

For those who haven't followed my threads ...

I recently bought a V-MAX that I fell in love with almost 15 years ago, but couldn't afford. I went to a dealer and saw it again and bought it on a whim the same weekend. Yamaha hasn't made any fundamental improvements to the bike all these years! (Drat) I feel stupid now for not doing any research, so don't rub it in. I love the bike's motor, but I would have to spend at least 2-3K before I find it stable to my liking. Farkles is not an issue, but the bike handles terrible on hiways and I hate to ride a bike I can't trust. I am not in the mood to spend more money now. So there I said it. A big mistake with a $2500 loss to sell now :-(

Anyway, life goes on. learn as you go. It's only money as my wife says. She is a good kid :) I can afford now, so why not splurge?

I think FJR is the one!
Well, before you go and spend money on flickability with a smaller bike...take tth FJR through the turns. It tracks through turns very easily and dives into the turn easier than many lighter bikes that I have been on. You just may be pleasantly surprised. I like Rocknfjr's story of passing an R1 at a track day on his FJR on the outside of the turn. Priceless to think of the R1 rider seeing Gary put his side bags back on, peeling off tape and then riding home as everyone else got their trailer ready.

:lol:

(not saying the FJR is a better track bike than an R1, but rider skill does certainly have a lot more to do with flickability than people give it credit)

(not saying the FJR is a better track bike than an R1, but rider skill does certainly have a lot more to do with flickability than people give it credit)
Amen to that...

The '06 FJR sure isn't a flickable 600cc crotch rocket, but she is a VERY good handling big bike with gr8 brakes and decent ergos plus outstanding torque. I'm a bit over 6'2", 220# and as usual the bike needs (for me) a better saddle but other than that I am completely satisfied with the bike. She is much better overall than my '03 "turkey cooker" FJR was. Heat issue is gone: I've ridden her in lo-mid 90s with humidity to match....no problem.

The windshield is fine on 2 lane backroads but marginal on freeways with lotsa big trucks and SilleeUghlyVeehicles fouling the airflow. However, of the 78 motorcycles I've owned over the years my '06 FJR is almost perfect outta the box. Heck of a fine all around road bike! The more you ride one the more you appreciate how good this bike is. DFO :D

The '06 FJR sure isn't a flickable 600cc crotch rocket, but she is a VERY good handling big bike with gr8 brakes and decent ergos plus outstanding torque. I'm a bit over 6'2", 220# and as usual the bike needs (for me) a better saddle but other than that I am completely satisfied with the bike. She is much better overall than my '03 "turkey cooker" FJR was. Heat issue is gone: I've ridden her in lo-mid 90s with humidity to match....no problem.
The windshield is fine on 2 lane backroads but marginal on freeways with lotsa big trucks and SilleeUghlyVeehicles fouling the airflow. However, of the 78 motorcycles I've owned over the years my '06 FJR is almost perfect outta the box. Heck of a fine all around road bike! The more you ride one the more you appreciate how good this bike is. DFO :D
What now u say? 06 windshield is not adequate on hiways? It might work for me, I am 6'.

78 MCs! :clapping: that might be a record here! (or is it 7 or 8?) :eek:

Yup, 78 motorcycles since 1964: everything from a Honda Cub 50 (actually 2...have one now with 256 miles on her) to 2 GL1800s; of course I am COUNTING all 5 of my hardleeablesinnz as motorycles! As I said tho, my '06 FJR is about as close to purrfect, for me, as any bike I've owned or ridden(many many more). Now if only my neck operation heals so I can ride my bikes and drive my Mazdaspeed Miata! DFO :D