Questions about lowering links

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmax

Reaction score
When you install a rear suspension link that is designed to lower the bike, does this change the progressive ratio of the suspension? If so does it make it stiffer or softer? Can it be adequately compensated for with the adjustments?

Has anyone had any problems with scraping after doing this? I ride the Dragon and surrounding roads quite often and on my FZ1 I get the tires scuffed clean to the edges. I havent had the new FJR up to the North Carolina area yet but I dont want to lever it up off the ground in a corner because I lowered it.

Thanks,

Roy

When you install a rear suspension link that is designed to lower the bike, does this change the progressive ratio of the suspension? If so does it make it stiffer or softer? Can it be adequately compensated for with the adjustments?
In discussing this with those who have had their bikes lowered, they found that in many cases it was necessary to install one of the old 'C'-rings into the rear shock in order to achieve proper sag. (HMarc use to make these rings for the '03-'05 bikes). IOW, you loose pre-load when you install the longer dog-bones to lower the bike, so you need to compensate with the rings. If you have an aftermarket shock, you'll likely have to find a way to increase its pre-load to the appropriate amount.

Additionally, in order to keep the bike's overall steering geometry the same, you'll want to lower the forks by an equal amount that you lowered the shock (this, in order to keep the ride height equal).

You'll also find that if you lower the bike substantially, you will have to make adjustments to the side-stand, as the bike will sit too "upright" on the sidestand after you have the bike lowered.

Exercise care when going about this work.... lowering a bike via suspension adjustments can be frought with hazard.

Last edited by a moderator: