Questions regarding a Blue Sea fuse block

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm preparing to install the Blue Sea 6-circuit fuse block myself. Since the maximum rating of the fuse block is 100 amps. should I install a 100 amp relay?

USMC CWO, all you need is a 30 or 40 amp relay. You will need to fuse the hot lead from the battery with a 30amp fuse - this is the number you work with.
That is where I have the question. If I am running, say 4 accessories, each pulling 15 amps, will it blow the 30-amp main fuse?

I'm preparing to install the Blue Sea 6-circuit fuse block myself. Since the maximum rating of the fuse block is 100 amps. should I install a 100 amp relay?

USMC CWO, all you need is a 30 or 40 amp relay. You will need to fuse the hot lead from the battery with a 30amp fuse - this is the number you work with.
That is where I have the question. If I am running, say 4 accessories, each pulling 15 amps, will it blow the 30-amp main fuse?
Yep. Just add up the devices and that will be your total load. But I doubt you have 4 items each pulling 15 amps.

Formula for Power = I*E (current times voltage), so a 15 amp accessory at a nominal ~13V would consume 195 watts.

That's big power. 4 x 195 = 780 watts, way more power than the alternator is capable of pumping out.

If you're running 4 accessories each pulling 15 amps, your battery will be dead long before the fuse blows. That being said.....

I have two terminal blocks, one switched (Blue Sea) the other always hot.

Both of these are fed by the same 10awg 30 amp fused run from the battery.

I run from my blue sea -

CCS100 Cruise

Heated grips

Warm n Safe heated jacket

Gerbings heated pant liners and socks.

Fuel pump for aux tank.

From the always hot -

Soltek HID lights (fed to their own 30amp relay)

Two 15amp Powerlet sockets.

All through a 30 amp fuse with a 30 amp rated relay.

Keep in mind that the useage of the farkles varies - It would be very difficult to exceed 30 amps draw at any given time - do the math - 30 amps times 13.8 volts equals 414 watts - and the rated outputs of the bikes are 490 watts for the GenI, 590 watts for the GenII. (or therabouts)

Having 4 15amp circuits maxed out would draw 60amps x 13.8 volts equals 828 watts - meaning your battery would very rapidly become a doorstop.

Fuses are for protection to guard against shorts in your wiring or in the farkle itself. Go with the 30amp fuse on your feed from +12v battery, and you'll be fine.

Yep. Just add up the devices and that will be your total load. But I doubt you have 4 items each pulling 15 amps.

Formula for Power = I*E (current times voltage), so a 15 amp accessory at a nominal ~13V would consume 195 watts.

That's big power. 4 x 195 = 780 watts, way more power than the alternator is capable of pumping out.
Yep, what he said.

Well that makes things very clear. Thank you all for the information. It is much appreciated.

I run from my blue sea - CCS100 Cruise

Heated grips

Warm n Safe heated jacket

Gerbings heated pant liners and socks.

Fuel pump for aux tank.

From the always hot -

Soltek HID lights (fed to their own 30amp relay)

Two 15amp Powerlet sockets.

All through a 30 amp fuse with a 30 amp rated relay.
Just as a quick aside, can you actually run all of that heated gear + your Solteks at the same time without draining your battery?