Quick Fastener

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
After charging battery for the first time, attempting to install the panel, the bolts fit fine but the fastener doesn't latch on anything. Am I doing something wrong? :huh:

After charging battery for the first time, attempting to install the panel, the bolts fit fine but the fastener doesn't latch on anything. Am I doing something wrong? :huh:
Always a possibility, but 3 things have to line up, including the metal clip that holds the threads of the bolt. Might want to take it off and look at how everything has to line up. (GenII can't be that different from my GenI, can it?) OTOH, if the clip has come off, and it can, there'd be nothing for the bolt to grab. I'm sure you could get a replacement.

On my own bike I've found that the bolts have just enough difference one from another that one bolt might not catch where another one will. Maybe just swap with another bolt.

Also, it probably would help to press the panel down to help get everything lined up and in place. Press with one hand while the other turns the hex key to start the bolt.

Always a possibility, but 3 things have to line up, including the metal clip that holds the threads of the bolt. Might want to take it off and look at how everything has to line up. (GenII can't be that different from my GenI, can it?) OTOH, if the clip has come off, and it can, there'd be nothing for the bolt to grab. I'm sure you could get a replacement.
Gunny Sacto Mike, mnissing clip maybe? They should all fit, or engage.
Gen2's.. :unsure:

The way I interpreted what Monty posted was that the metal bolts (screws?) went back into place on Panel D, but the plastic fastener (rivet?) did not grab onto anything. I could be wrong, but if that is his intent, he needs to be sure that he is preparing the rivet properly for reinsertion. Once that is done, he needs to be sure that some pressure is applied to the Panel while the rivet is inserted and snapped in place. At least that has been my experience with the battery panel on a GenII.

Bob

The way I interpreted what Monty posted was that the metal bolts (screws?) went back into place on Panel D, but the plastic fastener (rivet?) did not grab onto anything. I could be wrong, but if that is his intent, he needs to be sure that he is preparing the rivet properly for reinsertion. Once that is done, he needs to be sure that some pressure is applied to the Panel while the rivet is inserted and snapped in place. At least that has been my experience with the battery panel on a GenII.

Bob
You are correct, Bob. It's the rivet or "quick connector" as Yamaha calls it. Not sure what you mean about "preparing the rivet", but I did find a rubber grommet under the bike and wondering if it is part of the connection. :(

Bob
You are correct, Bob. It's the rivet or "quick connector" as Yamaha calls it. Not sure what you mean about "preparing the rivet", but I did find a rubber grommet under the bike and wondering if it is part of the connection. :(
Never mind, Bob. Just figured out one side of the rivet is broken off. Trip to the dealer.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Never mind, Bob. Just figured out one side of the rivet is broken off. Trip to the dealer.

Is there some trick to getting those rotten SOBs out without breaking them?

Is there some trick to getting those rotten SOBs out without breaking them?
I use a small stubby Phillips screwdriver to push the pin in a little bit which releases the pressure on the rivet so that you can pull the rivet out. I am usually able to grab the edge of the rivet with my fingernails and rock the rivet out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a small Allen Wrench. It fits just about everywhere and I punch the center plug inward. If the rivet doesn't move, just pull the plastic a bit and it will back out. Then just give it a gentle pull.

Regardless, have extras of these in your garage. The prongs will break and thew will fall into the black hole of the bike to never be seen again. Not magnetic, so easy to lose.

Not sure what you mean about "preparing the rivet", but I did find a rubber grommet under the bike and wondering if it is part of the connection. :(
Like has been mentioned already, you need to push the center of the rivet in before removing it. Then before inserting the rivet, you need to pull the center out (makes a little handle to hold when inserting the rivet, but more importantly allows the plastic to flex inward where it goes in the hole). Once the rivet is seated in its hole, push the center in until flush to lock it in place.

Added on edit:

Found a picture of a rivet that's prepped for install:

2922new.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob

Thanks for the replies. :)
The dealer may or may not have them. If they do, they want ridiculous money for what it is. Check out a good hardware store as a source for quick fasteners. They usually have a bunch of different types and sizes.