Quick Newbie Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
34" inseam, 6' tall... '07 (best color, girls swoon when I ride by) No reason for me to change anything... I love the stock seat, and usually have the screen in a low-ish position anyway ( but might get a taller one just to try it).

You might plan two hour trips, but just be aware of what is an hour or two further just in case she arrives at the original destination and doesn't want to stop! ("Plan B" for us is often more adventurous).

Sliders... check

Tail bag (hardcase or big K-bag that mounts to the backrest (get a backrest!! She will feel so much more secure and you can twist yer right wrist without wondering if the speed just increased because of the nuclear reactor you're riding or because she slipped off when you goosed it!)

Spare keys(one for you one for her)... check

some form of cruisecontrol or throttlelock (just got one and I love it on the long roads!

C

34" inseam, 6' tall... '07 (best color, girls swoon when I ride by) No reason for me to change anything... I love the stock seat, and usually have the screen in a low-ish position anyway ( but might get a taller one just to try it).
You might plan two hour trips, but just be aware of what is an hour or two further just in case she arrives at the original destination and doesn't want to stop! ("Plan B" for us is often more adventurous).

Sliders... check

Tail bag (hardcase or big K-bag that mounts to the backrest (get a backrest!! She will feel so much more secure and you can twist yer right wrist without wondering if the speed just increased because of the nuclear reactor you're riding or because she slipped off when you goosed it!)

Spare keys(one for you one for her)... check

some form of cruisecontrol or throttlelock (just got one and I love it on the long roads!

C

[SIZE=14pt]Funny my wife decided we need to go on weekend trip on the new bike, well she told me we would be going on weekend trips :rolleyes: ..So now I need to shop for a rear trunk or pack-backrest set-up for luggage..I’m getting excited about the new FJR, can’t wait for this weekend.. :yahoo: [/SIZE]

I have the 07 also and I have at least a 34" inseam and it's not a problem for me... I have done 200+ miles without a stop a couple times, occasionally on those long stretches I have put my feet on the back pegs :coolsmiley:

I didn't see anyone mention it but the seat does have a high and low position so make sure you try the higher position. I have the Yamaha Touring Gel seat and it ends up being almost an inch higher because it doesn't give like the stocker. I'm a legroom junkie (6', 33 inseam) but with the touring seat I never need the high position now. I second the highway peg suggestion and would also vote for a motorcyclelarry triple clamp to raise the bars. Good luck shopping!

6'2" w/34" inseam here. Leg position not an issue. Skinny, non-padded ass is but Rick Mayer seat fixed that.

I have a factory trunk on my '07 - the wife demanded it. I highly reccomend you do add one (Yamaha or aftermarket). I also recommend the bar risers.

It all depends on what you're expecting from the bike. If you are really wanting it for tour duty, I suggest you and the wife test ride one. We use the FJR for trips, and my wife approved it for comfort. She's short (5'2"), likes the smoothness of the engine, and finds the wind protection adequate. She gets a thrill from the acceleration, but doesn't care to cruise at 90+. I find the braking and handling qualities of the FJR make it a very safe motorcycle, for carrying a passenger.

It's not a Goldwing, however. My wife agreed on the FJR ('decided' might be a better word), because it makes me happy, and she finds it sufficient for when she goes with me. Honestly, she'd find a gynecologically-correct pillion, complete with her own stereo controls, intercom, wirelessinternet/dvd/cellphone/sidewindermissile more comfortable... but they're just less fun. Before you drop the bucks, I suggest you let her give it a try.

I have a factory trunk on my '07 - the wife demanded it. I highly reccomend you do add one (Yamaha or aftermarket). I also recommend the bar risers.
It all depends on what you're expecting from the bike. If you are really wanting it for tour duty, I suggest you and the wife test ride one. We use the FJR for trips, and my wife approved it for comfort. She's short (5'2"), likes the smoothness of the engine, and finds the wind protection adequate. She gets a thrill from the acceleration, but doesn't care to cruise at 90+. I find the braking and handling qualities of the FJR make it a very safe motorcycle, for carrying a passenger.

It's not a Goldwing, however. My wife agreed on the FJR ('decided' might be a better word), because it makes me happy, and she finds it sufficient for when she goes with me. Honestly, she'd find a gynecologically-correct pillion, complete with her own stereo controls, intercom, wirelessinternet/dvd/cellphone/sidewindermissile more comfortable... but they're just less fun. Before you drop the bucks, I suggest you let her give it a try.
Too late, bought a new 08 today! :yahoo:

We've been riding an old 82 CB900C, just needed a little better bike..Didn't want a full-on touring bike, still need make

short trips around town and commute 5 miles to work. Plus I really like the style of the FJR..

Thanks for all the good vibes, hope to see everyone on the road..

Domenic

One of the best techniques that I have found for creaky hips and knees is standing up on the pegs every so often. The first hour or so I need to do it quite a bit, but it seems to settle in later. Will be putting on the WB/kuryakyn hiway peg set up as soon as the mail delivers them back from Gaurald. I could not stomach the chrome on those k-pegs, so I had them powder coated.

34" inseam here, IMO the FJR has more legroom than anything this side of a maxi-dualsport standard.

You want to talk long legs? Unless some of you guys are pro b-ball players, my wife probably has longer legs than anyone here: 36" inseam. She loves her '04 FJR and has never complained about legroom.

faithfjrjeans.jpg

Hello,
I'm seriously considering the purchase of a left over 07 FJR this weekend. I've only sat on one at the dealer, never rode one. I've been out of riding for around 16 years, so last year I bought a old cruiser bike to commute to work on (1982 CB900C) and see if my wife would enjoy riding again like prior to having children. Well she does and now have a green light to upgrade.

My question is how comfortable is the FJR for guys like me with long legs (34" inseam) after one hour plus in the saddle. The cruiser I have now is painful after about an hour (leg cramps). Thanks

Domenic
"The ergonomics of the FJR are, for me, perfect," effused Dean. "Someone must have drugged me, dragged my comatose ass over to Yamaha's design department and propped me up on a mockup of an FJR to determine the location of every part of the bike my 6-foot-2 body touches, because everything is exactly where I'd like it to be. That probably explains why I can ride it all day with little or no complaint."

A quote about a 2005 FJR from a Cycle World "Speed Wagon Shootout" article.

Cycle World - "Speed Wagons"

"This is a bike you could ride 1,000 miles Thursday and still do pushups and situps in your hotel room. You could kick some serious ass in the twisties on Friday. You could take your SO for a ride on Saturday and both of you would be happy. And then smoke two-thirds of the bikes at a track day on Sunday. It's comfortable, it's powerful, and I think it's a new definition for sport touring”

A quote from an article comparing the FJR to a BMW K12.

I'm 6'2" and really like the riding position of my '04 FJR. I have bar risers and the taller windscreen. The '06 and newer models have an adjustable seat and bars. Not familiar with these options however. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hr: i am a 58 yr old fjr rider with a short inseam, always reaching for the ground. Wouldn't have it any other way. I just dismount answerthe call of nature and go on. I would like to experence the tall problem.

I am sure you will find your position with all of the adjustments on the fjr.

Now is the time for my Harley to find another home. Crusisers are great for town, however now is the time to ride.

I didn't see anyone mention it but the seat does have a high and low position so make sure you try the higher position. I have the Yamaha Touring Gel seat and it ends up being almost an inch higher because it doesn't give like the stocker. I'm a legroom junkie (6', 33 inseam) but with the touring seat I never need the high position now. I second the highway peg suggestion and would also vote for a motorcyclelarry triple clamp to raise the bars. Good luck shopping!
So you're liking the gel seat? You think it's a good value? I got screwed by Corbin and will never go back there, and I had a Sargent on the V65, and that was okay, but not much more than okay. I'd pretty much decided to get a Russell but haven't made the time. Maybe the Yammy gel seat is the way for me to go.

Hr: i am a 58 yr old fjr rider with a short inseam, always reaching for the ground. Wouldn't have it any other way. I just dismount answerthe call of nature and go on. I would like to experence the tall problem.I am sure you will find your position with all of the adjustments on the fjr.

Now is the time for my Harley to find another home. Crusisers are great for town, however now is the time to ride.
I'm just a kid (50) :D Been riding the bike a week now, feels fine, just need to install bar risers next week.

I hear what you're saying, I feel the same way. Been riding and racing dirt (cross-country) for the last 20+ years after giving up sport bikes when the kids were born. Nows the time to cover some miles while I can on something I've been dreaming about for four years. Going on a day ride tomorrow, and watching the forum for rides after this weekend. Take care and thanks.

Domenic