Quick questions- about raising suspension.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
I'm hoping to order a Penske 8393 today before our dollar tanks again.

The Penske 8393 shows that it can be ordered with a height adjustment, specifically a +12mm and a +/- 6mm.

- does the change result in an increase between seat height and foot peg distance or does it result in the bike just sitting higher off the ground. I am 6'4" tall and always found the riding position a little squat for me and would like the bend in my knee to be a little less sharp so a higher seat-to-peg height would be welcome.

- how does this impact geometry and handling?

- how big a height increase does 6mm at the shock manifest itself at the rider?

- clearly the "+/- 6mm" shock is adjustable but would the 12 mm be also; i.e., if I find a 12mm increase too much could I drop i to say 6mm?

Only raises the bike from the ground. No difference between seat and pegs. Except for the adjustable seat, those are fixed.

I'm hoping to order a Penske 8393 today before our dollar tanks again.
The Penske 8393 shows that it can be ordered with a height adjustment, specifically a +12mm and a +/- 6mm.

- does the change result in an increase between seat height and foot peg distance or does it result in the bike just sitting higher off the ground. I am 6'4" tall and always found the riding position a little squat for me and would like the bend in my knee to be a little less sharp so a higher seat-to-peg height would be welcome.
As HRZ said, the footpeg is connected to the same frame as the seat, so it can't change

- how does this impact geometry and handling?
Raising the rear of the bike steepens the steering angles. This will make the bike turn-in quicker at the expense of being slightly less straight line stable.

- how big a height increase does 6mm at the shock manifest itself at the rider?
6mm at the shock will be something more that that at the rear axle due to the suspension linkage and swingarm length. On a 2nd (or 3rd) Gen FJR that ratio is slightly more than 2:1. (rear shock travel is 60mm and the rear wheel travel is 125mm)

The rider's seat will raise less than the wheel moves because it is part way to the front axle which is not moving.

- clearly the "+/- 6mm" shock is adjustable but would the 12 mm be also; i.e., if I find a 12mm increase too much could I drop i to say 6mm?
It is an infinitely variable screw adjustment. So, you can raise it to any height between the two limits; Anywhere between + and - 6mm or between 0 and +12mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. EXACTLY what I needed I needed to know.

And, of course the peg is attached to the same frame as the seat. Can't believe I didn't realize that. Duh on me.

I just installed a new to me used Penske 8975 shock on my GEN1. During the swap I noticed it was a little longer than the OEM unit (~1/4 to 1/2" perhaps?) so I just left it as-is. My ground clearance has gone up considerably and now my foot pegs (with lowering brackets) do not scrape at every !$#!!! turn plus bike goes up on the Center stand a bit easier. Clearly the bike is sitting higher but I don't notice any significant changes in how it steers. I've set the sag to about 1" but I'm slowly decreasing the preload for a bit more softness while also playing with both compression and rebound dampening. It was really stiff overall to begin with but that's how the previous owner had it on GEN2.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Last edited by a moderator: