quickshifter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have installed power commander + quickshifter on my '15 ES last season. Main motivation was BMW test camp and great performance of up/down shifting on many of BMW machines (works great on rr, rt, k, gs). I am happy to have it but honestly - not using it too often on FJR... Because mine is working only dawn.

Seems like the the fjr does not like to be shifted without the clutch. I have done many track days and they teach you not to use the clutch on up shifts and rev match on down shifts. The way you do it is blip the throttle ever so slightly and then just shift. It is essentially the same way a quick shifter works. It just cuts the throttle. I have down it 1000 times on my zx10r, but every time I have I have tried on the fjr it has not been that smooth so I don't do it. Anybody else with the same experience?

Seems like the the fjr does not like to be shifted without the clutch. I have done many track days and they teach you not to use the clutch on up shifts and rev match on down shifts. The way you do it is blip the throttle ever so slightly and then just shift. It is essentially the same way a quick shifter works. It just cuts the throttle. I have down it 1000 times on my zx10r, but every time I have I have tried on the fjr it has not been that smooth so I don't do it. Anybody else with the same experience?
I'd imagine the zx10r is more designed for it since it is a sport bike and, as you said, on the track it's the norm. At first it was a little rough for me on the FJR, but now that I'm used to it, it is a lot smoother. My passengers hate the feel of it, so I guess it's not as smooth as I think, but it works for me.

The clutch cable on my brand new Norton Commando 850 broke at the lever during the maiden voyage, due to lack of lube. I very quickly learned how to do clutchless shifts
omg2.gif

Darn thing kept stalling at stops, but I just happened to have a small vise-grips pliers in my jacket pocket, so I locked that onto the end of the clutch cable for the remaining few miles back to the dealership.

Since then, I've experimented a few times with clutchless shifting, even on the FJR, but never felt comfortable doing it on a shaft-drive bike.

That quickshifter would be a nice add-on, especially for riders with hand problems, such as arthritis, and/or those who do a lot of city rides.

The reason I went to the FJR was out of necessity after my clutch hand got too painful while stuck in city traffic on my Trophy.

During that trip I was changing gear clutchlessly, stopping by trying to find neutral or stalling. To set off again I was stopping the engine (if not already stopped), selecting 1st gear, then engaging the starter. That trip taught me a lot about how to do clutchless gear changes "nicely".

I am so grateful for YCC-S, the ultimate quickshifter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I went to the FJR was out of necessity after my clutch hand got too painful while stuck in city traffic on my Trophy.
During that trip I was changing gear clutchlessly, stopping by trying to find neutral or stalling. To set off again I was stopping the engine (if not already stopped), selecting 1st gear, then engaging the starter. That trip taught me a lot about how to do clutchless gear changes "nicely".

I am so grateful for YCC-S, the ultimate quickshifter.
It's a shame that Yamaha did so lousy a job marketing the YCC-S in the US.

I understand why palerider wants/needs this. Same type of reasoning I have for needing cruise in my cage, knee surgery and can't hold my leg in one position long. By why all the interest from everyone else?

Am I to gather that most people here really hate manual shift autos also? Is it skills needed? Laziness? Just need the newest tech to enjoy the ride?

I am not mocking anyone, just really curious.

I understand why palerider wants/needs this. Same type of reasoning I have for needing cruise in my cage, knee surgery and can't hold my leg in one position long. By why all the interest from everyone else?Am I to gather that most people here really hate manual shift autos also? Is it skills needed? Laziness? Just need the newest tech to enjoy the ride?

I am not mocking anyone, just really curious.
For me, it just eliminates a couple of extra steps in the process allowing me to focus on enjoying my ride more. Twist of the Wrist goes on a lot about only having so much attention to spend, and while it's only a couple of cents worth, it's worth it to me personally. YMMV.

My curiosity is because I'm a geek and wondered how these devices work -- and was astonished to find that they're really a significant part of a racing motorcycle.

I just think it would be cool to get to shift a little faster, and maybe be better at it. Does that make me a loser? I think it would be cool, but since it's an FJR and not a full on sport bike, I don't know if it's worth the money just to be cool.

I just think it would be cool to get to shift a little faster, and maybe be better at it. Does that make me a loser? I think it would be cool, but since it's an FJR and not a full on sport bike, I don't know if it's worth the money just to be cool.
You have to remember the dollars-to-cool ratio (DCR). For me, the decision point is a DCR of around 2/1 (2 cools to 1 dollar). I put the QS at around 750 cools, and the cost is around 250 dollars, which gives us a DCR of 3/1--well above my threshold.

I long ago accepted my loserdom--20-something women started looking through me about 10 years ago--so buying cool shit is about as close as I can get to actually being cool anymore. I think that's why god gave us old guys more money.

You have to remember the dollars-to-cool ratio (DCR). For me, the decision point is a DCR of around 2/1 (2 cools to 1 dollar). I put the QS at around 750 cools, and the cost is around 250 dollars, which gives us a DCR of 3/1--well above my threshold.
I long ago accepted my loserdom--20-something women started looking through me about 10 years ago--so buying cool shit is about as close as I can get to actually being cool anymore. I think that's why god gave us old guys more money.
Yeah, a 3/1 DCR is out of line. Haha...This is why Palerider is the smartest guy on FJRForum.

Hey, with Beemerdons gone, someone has to appoint the daily smart people.

Yeah, a 3/1 DCR is out of line. Haha...This is why Palerider is the smartest guy on FJRForum.

Hey, with Beemerdons gone, someone has to appoint the daily smart people.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I don't get brains points for already having the QS already researched and sitting on my wishlist?
sadsmiley.gif
Sadly, my budget requires a DCR of 100:1 before I can really justify splurging on it. At least the wife seems to think I'm still cool anyway.

I don't get brains points for already having the QS already researched and sitting on my wishlist?
sadsmiley.gif
Sadly, my budget requires a DCR of 100:1 before I can really justify splurging on it. At least the wife seems to think I'm still cool anyway.
Wives don't think we're cool. They just don't want to have to retrain another one. Whatever...I'll take it however it comes.

sadsmiley.gif
C'mon. What choice does she have?

Jestal and Bike Effects (Jeff) had Power Commander based quick shifters on their Gen. I FJRs. IIRC, the trick was a modification to the shift rod linkage that Jestal machined to actuate it on the FJR. Jeff was not only a really good rider, but on his '03 with that quick shifter, he would regularly be able to pull away from the rest of us on FJR rides here in NorCal.

I had one on my 2003 FJR for years. A forum member mad me a custom shift rod because nobody made a rod for the FJR. I have to say, once and awhile it was a lot fun fun to rip off a full power, clutchless shift when you wanted to be in a hurry.

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the GP shift mod yet. That, coupled with the QS would be interesting at least, although I'm pretty sure it would require quite a bit of cutting into the area around the foot peg to get it all to fit. Especially on a Gen III. Tried to find a link with a quick search, but came up empty. Will continue to look for it. I remember seeing it someplace around here...

Edit: Found it! https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/8822-reversed-shift-fjr-gp-pattern/