R & G Racing Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airportcop

Reaction score
Just bought and installed a set of NOS (new old stock) R & G Racing sliders for my 2003 FJR. They were very easy to install and I didn't need brackets or even have take off the fairings to install them. Found them on ebay at a great price. Just used the paper template provided and a drilled a pilot hole, then drill the bigger hole with a hole saw. Pleased as punch how good the instructions were and how smoothly the install went!

I have R&Gs on my '05. I installed them when my bike was brand new, so it was interesting making that first hole in the fairing, but it worked out well. I can say from experience that they work, as I ground one down almost to the bolt head a couple years ago. I was able to buy a new set at the time, but they are hard to find today.

The one Issue I have with them is that the bolt has to come out from the engine mount threads every time I take the fairing off, and over the years one side has started to show signs of wear in the aluminum. I now re-torque the slider bolts a couple times a season to make sure they are tight. Someone posted a while back that the thread pitch on the bolts that come with the sliders is not exactly the same as the pitch on the stock bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some aftermarket metal bar end weights that I bought off of ebay from another FJR person. Don't know what they are but they look like stainless.

I installed R&G's on my '03 when it was new. They work well -- BUT -- they've been on and off soooo many times over the years, the aluminum engine threads finally gave out and had to be HeliCoiled (despite fastidiously adhering to torque values, etc) :( . No problems since then.

I have the DES frame sliders on my '07 but they don't have to be removed in order to take the side panels off. Is the Gen I different? :)

Yep! The Gen 1 has two possible methods of mounting sliders. First is to cut holes in the fairings and the second is usually the more expensive way, to buy the ones with the special offset brackets. The engine mount bolts on the Gen 1 are covered by the fairings.

Last edited by a moderator: