Race Tech and Penske upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marbarian

Finally ordered RaceTech Gold valve and springs for the forks and Penske 8983 for the back. Ordered from an authorized RT suspension shop in MD so I can have the contact for service. Doing the install myself after a very long week and 1/2 wait...... for Penske in PA can make the rear shock.

I was very close to G3-S from RT but decided to save myself some mula, maybe buy another trolling rod for rockfish season. ;)

Got my Zumo 550 and 8500 passport mounted and wired to FuzeBlock I just installed. Installed Yamaha top case. Completed Cdog's Airbox mod and Barbarian mod to add juice +8 across. Beowulf pipes delivered and installed to complete my initial upgrades.

I've clocked just over 6k miles since I bought her in Dec 11. No great accomplishment but after being out of saddle for 21 years, not a bad start either. Almost where I want to be with her. Can't wait to get her right.

Deep appreciation to this forum for all the excellent opinions and endless research info. Hats off, Gents!

I did the RaceTech gold valves with .95 springs (175 lbs. mostly solo riding) 2 months ago and really like the feel and control improvements. The shock upgrade has to wait for next year though. Good luck and enjoy. Welcome back to the 2 wheeled world!

I did the RaceTech gold valves with .95 springs (175 lbs. mostly solo riding) 2 months ago and really like the feel and control improvements. The shock upgrade has to wait for next year though. Good luck and enjoy. Welcome back to the 2 wheeled world!
The rear spring rate is one of the most significant upgrades you can make to the FJR. The stock spring is a little soft and causes a lot of wallowing the corners. I had the complete GP Suspensions upgrade done after I had installed a Wilbers shock and GP changed the rear spring to 850 lbs without making any changes to the shim stack in the shock. It was a major improvement. The new valving and springs in the forks also improved things but I mostly noticed how much better the rear of the bike now felt in the corners.

I, too, did the Race Tech gold valves/springs and Penske in Feb. Are you using MRP? I had them do my stuff, as I couldn't carve out the time.

Yea, I ordered from MRP they got a 10% discount going on so that help. I started with a 1500 budget and got everything but fork oil for just under my budget, but still have to do the work myself. Nice to have a local shop to perform maint on the shock If I choose. The guy Kenny seemed pretty cool to deal with. I plan on riding to their location to pickup the parts and check the place out for future reference.

I, too, did the Race Tech gold valves/springs and Penske in Feb. Are you using MRP? I had them do my stuff, as I couldn't carve out the time.
Actually they mentioned just doing a FJR and the owner was ecstatic with the work! Was that you?

That was probably me.  Not sure I would say I was 'ecstatic', but I'm pretty happy.  Dumping the stock shock with 56K miles for a Penske, how can you not be pretty happy? Kenny does good work. Appears he does a lot of WERA and track day bikes. Shop in back looked to be pretty full, when I went back to get the sag set. They had the Race Tech deal going from the bike show, and he cut me a break on the Penske deal.

Last edited by a moderator: