RaceTech bound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious as to what fork spring rate everyone was going with on the RT set up?
Steve - I told them to not go too stiff, since I commute most of the time, they went light (they set me up with a .90kg, I'm about 195lbs) on it for me, excellent so far.

With gear I am about 195 and I got the .95kg. Working very good for me. No commuting or two up. Mostly weekend canyon carving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious as to what fork spring rate everyone was going with on the RT set up?
Steve - I told them to not go too stiff, since I commute most of the time, they went light (they set me up with a .90kg, I'm about 195lbs) on it for me, excellent so far.

With gear I am about 195 and I got the .95kg. Working very good for me. No commuting or two up. Mostly weekend canyon carving.
Wow, that seems kind of soft to me - about 2 years ago Race Tech set me up with a 1.1kg fork spring and I weigh about 180 w/o gear.

GP had me set up at .95kg but that seemed to soft. I have a gsxr750 thats about 200lbs lighter and RT installed .95kg spring in front.

With the 1.1kg springs installed, the fjr feels very compliant, brakes well, and does not seem harsh at all. Just my 2 cents.

I just wanted to post in this thread so I can search for it later and get more feedback from Bluesman. Race Tech is local to me as well, and I'm thinking that later this year I'll have them respring my FJR front/rear. I'm about 270 pounds without gear, and I can't seem to get the cornering performance I want along with a compliant, comfortable ride over rough pavement with the stock suspension. I'm currently happy with the cornering, but the bike rattles my brain on rough pavement.

Wow, that seems kind of soft to me - about 2 years ago Race Tech set me up with a 1.1kg fork spring and I weigh about 180 w/o gear.
GP had me set up at .95kg but that seemed to soft. I have a gsxr750 thats about 200lbs lighter and RT installed .95kg spring in front.

With the 1.1kg springs installed, the fjr feels very compliant, brakes well, and does not seem harsh at all. Just my 2 cents.
Steve - I don't know what to say. So far I'm OK with the .90 per my receipt from Race Tech, that's what they installed. It seems OK so far. Since we talked at Big Bear, we'll have to hook up and I'll see how yours is with the 1.1's in them.

I just wanted to post in this thread so I can search for it later and get more feedback from Bluesman. Race Tech is local to me as well, and I'm thinking that later this year I'll have them respring my FJR front/rear. I'm about 270 pounds without gear, and I can't seem to get the cornering performance I want along with a compliant, comfortable ride over rough pavement with the stock suspension. I'm currently happy with the cornering, but the bike rattles my brain on rough pavement.
These absorb the bumps real well. I though tit might be too stiff since I had little to no sag, but it does great. Per what 03silverbullet wrote, I need to see if I am too light.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the turnaround time for the work? I'm inclined to find a friend who can pick me up, and ride my FJR out to RaceTech and let them keep it for a few days so they can do the work themselves. I figure rather than pretend I know anything *at all* about suspension stuff, I'll go there, tell them what sorts of improvements I'm looking for, buy what they tell me to buy, and let them install/tune it.

What was the turnaround time for the work? I'm inclined to find a friend who can pick me up, and ride my FJR out to RaceTech and let them keep it for a few days so they can do the work themselves. I figure rather than pretend I know anything *at all* about suspension stuff, I'll go there, tell them what sorts of improvements I'm looking for, buy what they tell me to buy, and let them install/tune it.
I brought them only my forks and it was done in 11 days. I'm not sure if they take the whole bike in and do the work etc. You may need to call them on that, and I would suspect it may take a few days longer yet to tear it all down.
Good luck.

I'm not sure if they take the whole bike in and do the work etc. You may need to call them on that, and I would suspect it may take a few days longer yet to tear it all down.
Yes they will take the whole bike in. They always have a bunch of bikes in shop they are working on.

2 weeks without my baby... ouch!

Maybe I'll ride out there, have them help me pick some parts, and take the parts over to my indy mechanic. I know I can schedule an appointment there and get it done ASAP.

In any case, it'll be awhile. I only have 4k miles on my '09 right now, and it's going to be spending time away from me for service, new tires, a PCV, and a dyno tune in the next week or two.