Radar Detector & GPS To Starcom Via Single Cable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCML

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Reaction score
I know that in some Starcom installations two devices, each with their own Isoalator cable, share a single input jack by means of a (reverse) splitter. Has anyone tried putting the splitter at the source(s) and then run a single Starcom Isolating cable to the Starcom?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I figured, too. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the $25 for the ground loop isolator cable (which I probably do not need) and install a "Y" at the intercom or rig a mono "Y" at the handle bars to both the GPS and detector and run both audio signals down the exitisting Starcom GPS cable. Oh, Jeff!

I know that in some Starcom installations two devices, each with their own Isoalator cable, share a single input jack by means of a (reverse) splitter. Has anyone tried putting the splitter at the source(s) and then run a single Starcom Isolating cable to the Starcom?
That's what I did on mine and seems to work fine.

I suspect you are only going to get mono if you listen to MP3's using your GPS. That is assuming that the radar detector is mono. I think the mono jack in the detector is going to join the left and right audio wires. Not too big a deal, I guess. I did not need any isolator cable with either my Zumo 450 and now my Zumo 660. Just make sure your your componenets all ground to the exact same place, such as a fuse box. If you are using a fuse box, I recommend grounding directly to the battery. Many times the engine noise problem that comes over your speakers can be fixed by addressing grounding issues, but not always. YMMV.

Don't do it. I wired up the Starcom the same way, and it caused me grief (and Jeff of Bike Effects confirmed this was the wrong method). The radar input cannot be paired with another audio device.

Instead, use a y-connector to have the GPS and MP3 player go to the same input. Leave the radar on its own input, since it has priority over (meaning it mutes) the MP3 (and GPS if you use the Y connector) when a radar alert sounds.

Plus, you will get mono sound, and maybe a channel won't work.

If it does not work then I am out about ten bucks in parts that I have ordered.

Jeff's Guru credentials are not to be ignored and his advice is sound. In this case, however, I do not understand how the Starcom can differentiate between two signals combined by a Y adapter just before the input jack and two signals combined further up the line. Can anyone who knows please explain?

This is, of course, a separate question from whether to combine the MP3 signal with the GPS or the Radar with the GPS (which, if I remember correctly, is what the Starcom Digital owners manual says to do).

Last edited by a moderator: