Radar Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
I'm looking to have something that is easy to switch from one bike to the other.

I saw this, but I can't figure out what that magnet sticks to???

click

I understand that there is a sticky and I guess that sticks to the radar. But does the magnet just stick to this?

10990.jpg

Keith,

I am wondering if Magnets will affect the electronics/effectiveness of the detector... I use velcro myself. It is easy to transfer from one to the other with it.

If the top plate of the tech mount is made of steel, then yes. If it's aluminum, then you'd have to add a thin piece of steel to the mount for the magnets...Just checked the TechMount site and it says the mounts are made from 6061 aluminum.

--G

Keith, I sold my Tech Mounts and went with Ram Mounts. Cheaper and faster to swap between bikes, especially the GPS.

Keith,I am wondering if Magnets will affect the electronics/effectiveness of the detector... I use velcro myself. It is easy to transfer from one to the other with it.
I've been using the magnetic RAM Power Plate mount for my detectors for the last couple of years. The magnets in these things are pretty strong and I've never had a problem with the electronics. I just bought another one for my FJR...makes it easy to move the detector between bikes...

FJR021.jpg

Keith,I am wondering if Magnets will affect the electronics/effectiveness of the detector... I use velcro myself. It is easy to transfer from one to the other with it.
I called Valentine One to ask the same question since I'm using the RAM magnetic mount for my V-1. They said it's not a problem, won't hurt it. I put the metal plate that's included with the RAM mount on the bottom of my Legal Speeding Radar Cover. It works slick, and it's easy to move back and forth to my car.

Keith - You are on the path of confusion, young grasshopper.

The photo in your post is of a techmount. Yet the magnetic powerplate is is a RAM mount doo-hickey. Two altogether different beasts.

To mount a radar detector using the Techmount in your photo, you would need velcro.

Using the RAM mount power plate, you stick a metal plate on the the bottom of your detector, and it sticks to the RAM (ball) magnetic power plate. Works great! Like BustaNut, I have been using that set-up for several years. Guess were smarter in Arizona.

Ahhhh.............. young grasshopper, CLICKY HERE for the path or RAM power plate enlightenment. With piccies!

I no longer use the safety velcro in the photos from the above link. It's not necessary.

You could also look into using Skyways Radar Detector mount which can be found in the vendors section of this board. Mounts to the top of either the clutch or brake reservoir.

Gunny on the magnetic RAM mount, have been using one for a couple of years now with an X50 radar detector - no problems.

Yo Keith, go to my link, and follow my advice and call cyclegadgets.com. They will help you get everything you need.

I'm looking to have something that is easy to switch from one bike to the other.
I saw this, but I can't figure out what that magnet sticks to???

click

I understand that there is a sticky and I guess that sticks to the radar. But does the magnet just stick to this?

10990.jpg
This stem mount will not work on the FJR. No hollow steering stem. They make this for the FJR:

Techmount at Bike Effects